1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Shave Brush Wear?

Discussion in 'Razors, Scissors, & Personal Grooming' started by Skidoosh, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Skidoosh

Skidoosh Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 21, 2016
    I've got a badger brush that I've had for about 8+ years now. I've noticed that the center of the brush is mostly worn down while the edges still look and work great. Is this normal wear? When do you decide to retire a brush?

2. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    I'd say if it starts shedding bad, or smelling really off. My current brush is about 9 years old, and seems about as good as when I got it. Its lost some bristles in that time, but it still does the job.
    In the grand scheme, if you are figuring 5-10 years out of a brush, they are not so expensive, so it it works, cool. If you want a new one, I'd say you got your money's worth.

3. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    My brush is several years old and is in that condition too. I've been thinking on replacing it. DM

4. SuperJ

SuperJ

Apr 29, 2019
    I'm 5 years in with every day use on Edwin Jagger and it's still fantastic. Drying it thoroughly seems to have helped its longevity. I'm thinking about rotating in another brush to allow more time to dry. Unless it's not funky or incredibly thin I don't see a need to retire them

5. Skidoosh

Skidoosh Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 21, 2016
    I ended up trying an Excelsior boar bristle and really did not care for it. I'm ok with stiff brushes but it did not seem to catch soap and lather well. I purchased a badger brush from Sterling Shave and am very pleased with it for the money.

6. domiro

domiro

Sep 10, 2018
    I would replace it when it starts to shed at a faster rate.

7. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    I have one of those plastic hangers that let the brush hang down. Very important for them to dry, mines a medium priced Boars hair .. 9 years of almost daily use and it’s fine!