Sheath build help

I'm trying to scheme up a single leather sheath for 2 knives. I'm thinking of having the knives beside each other, not one on top of the other. One knife is a drop point hunter, the other is a trailing point, both are about 5" blades 9" overall. Each way I draw it up I feel like there is going to be an issue making it look and function well, mostly because of the trailing point and the shape of it. I also would like to have belt loops and a dangler as an option, as well as a pouch for a honing stone.
Anyone seen anything like this that I can get some ideas from or have an idea to help me get started? Any input is helpful, thanks!!

I make something similar I call the Pack Pac. It was never designed for belt carry.

jfXA9hN.jpg

WzXkUFs.jpg

The two knives in it are aprrox 9 " oal. This set of knives I call The Sonorans (Sonoran Hunter, Sonoran Skinner and the Sonoran Belt Knife and there has been a Sonoran Camp Knife added later). This set of knives was originally field tested at a large game ranch. Feedback from the outfitter was that the guides wore the smaller belt knife hence its name but left the two larger blades (the hunter and skinner) in the jeep or in their pack until an animal was down. Even though each knife came with a belt sheath these pros didn't wear the bigger knives, just the belt knife. There were two sets of knives being tested. It was a blind test. The outfitter knew they were different steels the guides did not. These guys processed multiple animals daily for months. Talking with the outfitter we came up with the Pack Pac so basically a double sheath for pack use for the bigger knives. A belt loop could be added easily but I've never had anyone request one. If someone orders the set of three knives I build the Pack Pac for free.

7ls7I7G.jpg

WCryvil.jpg

oygI7X8.jpg

Anyhoo I've found with trailing points that I welt both sides of the sheath, not just the edge side. Ya might consider Paul's trick of reinforcing that top welt with some JB Weld and I've used super glue for the same thing. JB Weld is probably tougher in the long run.

Hope this helps some.

Oh wow those are both beautiful! Thank you for the responses and the in depth explaination Horsewright! Have you noticed a difference in the direction to sheath them? Cutting edges towards each other or both in the same direction as you would a single sheath? And with the welt would it be overboard to welt the entire perimeter as well as between the two blades?

I welt just the center so it is edge towards edge for each. I don't know that it would be overboard to welt the entire perimeter. Just didn't as there was no reason too. Thanks M Maineiac1

I want to remember that Paul did a double sheath once upon a time that was spine to spine on the knives so the sheath itself came to a point of sorts. Looked spade shaped.

Back