Sheath conversion from belt to dangler to clip PIC Heavy!

I have been doing leather work as a side bizz for about 7 years or so but when I had an oppourtunity to get an Ellsworth sheath with my new Bushfinger I did not hesitate. Good quality leather work is hard to come by and even harder to do yourself sometimes. The sheath I received from Andy was as pictured below.

DSCN1766-vi.jpg
[/IMG]
Great craftsmenship and quality materials! Great Job MR. Ellsworth!
Although plain in apperance this sheath has everything needed to be a safe, long lasting companion to a hand crafted blade.
knowing me I could not leave well enough alone and I started having ideas to convert this foundation into something a little more......me;)

Here is what I came up with.......

2012-05-04_07-16-53_217.jpg

I started out with a little embellishment. A little "Stone Stipping" and some free hand burning....

2012-05-04_07-18-14_940.jpg

Then I moved on to utility. I have always liked being able to have options in my carry systems. Be it for my EDC Concealed Carry Handgun or my blades, I like options
So I devised a simple way to use the same sheath as a quick attach EDC sheath, be it in a pocket or on my belt as well as a hiking dangler that keeps the blade from getting smashed under my backpacks hip belt.

2012-05-08_21-50-20_251.jpg

I also hate haveing a dangler swinging back and forth and hitting me in the leg while I hike and this one can be hung from the dangler loop and still clipped to a pocket for the best of both worlds.

2012-05-08_21-51-42_133-1.jpg

2012-05-08_21-51-57_507.jpg

The dangler loop also detaches without the need of any tools.

2012-05-08_21-52-42_438.jpg

And of course I need a loop added for my fire steel.

2012-05-08_21-54-13_496.jpg

These to play nice together!:D

2012-05-08_22-00-47_612.jpg

Anyway I am thinking of adding these conversions to my line up of services. What do you guys think? Any Questions let me know.
THanks and God Bless.

Last edited:
I think you took a simple, functional, rugged sheath and personalized it to become more functional, AND stylish. Nice!

DD

Nice custom touch you added to the sheath it looks older and worn now, i like that. I'm also curious as to what model hawk that is and did you also fashion the leather for it. Thats a nice setup you've got with the hawk and bushfinger.

Thanks Doug

Thanks Doug
The aging comes from a little mink oil and gravel pressed into specific spots

The hawk is a plain old CS trail hawk. I did a little work to it as well
Yes the leather on the hawk I did years ago. Seems to have held up nice

Thanks again for the input

Storm Crier, Thanks for the compliment! Not only did you take one of my sheaths and make it yours, but you also did a great job doing it. Very cool! :) Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

If I may ask, How'd you attach the back with clip and firesteel loop? I love sheaths with pocket clips and danglers.

Thank you sir. I appreciate your kind words.
I had to take cut the stitching completely out and cut along the glue line to open the sheath back up. Then I ccut a knotch in the welt the depth and wedth of the fire steel loop. The clip is slid through two slots cut into the additional leather and then riveted through the additional leather. The rivet does not go through to the inside of the sheath. I do not like metal coming in contact with my blades. Then I just glued the new panel in place and stitched it all the way around and thenreflued and stitched the whole thing back together.
2012-05-10_17-09-25_731.jpg

2012-05-10_17-10-12_856.jpg

Long explination. Sorry.

Last edited:
Storm Crier -
What a cool nickname.....
And some nice leatherwork. : )
All you need is a crest. ; )

-TheGreyWolf

Very nice work Strom crier. Thank you for sharing not only the photos but the ingenuity as well!

Mark

Back