Sheath done. Love this blade

Makael

Loving wife, kids and life.
Gold Member
Got the sheath done last night. Ive had this black heavy leather for a couple months. Waterproof and tough. I tried to soak the belt strap to check the waterproof claim and its true. Nothing penetrated the leather.
Such a big knife deserves a big sheath. Dangler style with leg tie off.

Sweet! I love the stitching and the strap retention stud thingy. Uh, what is the actual name for that thing, anyway? :oops:

Awesome work, really nice. I would really love to have one if they are available. Are you taking orders?
Surfsidemel

Awesome work, really nice. I would really love to have one if they are available. Are you taking orders?
Surfsidemel
Yes and no. Monday I have a consult on moving1 of 2 ACL tendons from my right forefinger to my right thumb. If surgery is 2 or more weeks out I can get about anything done. Otherwise it's 3 months in a splint. I have 7 sheaths to complete this weekend. I love making sheaths for these heavy duty knives.

Very nice work there! I am fascinated by this water proof leather, I'd love to read about it sometime if you have the chance can you send me a link to information?

Sweet! I love the stitching and the strap retention stud thingy. Uh, what is the actual name for that thing, anyway? :oops:

Sam Browne stud is what I call em
Bingo! Another name people have for them is "frog stud" But, the Sam Browne stud is very specific in design and size while a Frog Stud can come in all kinds of shapes and sizes.

Very nice work there! I am fascinated by this water proof leather, I'd love to read about it sometime if you have the chance can you send me a link to information?

Bingo! Another name people have for them is "frog stud" But, the Sam Browne stud is very specific in design and size while a Frog Stud can come in all kinds of shapes and sizes.
I picked up the hide at Tandy, it was on special for 125.00. They had WATERPROOF on the sign as well. The leather has a finish that looks like dust. Needs to be buffed off with a clean rag. I tested the claim by trying to wet the belt loop at the top of the dangler. It wouldn't absorb any water.
I like working with it though.

Pm me your address and ill send a square to you.
I'm heading to Tandy today for some supplies. I will ask them for some more information. This local store here in Spokane does a great job sourcing hides that aren't in their catalog.

I'm going to make a sheath for one of my 110s and see what kind of corrosion or not happens on the brass.

Yes and no. Monday I have a consult on moving1 of 2 ACL tendons from my right forefinger to my right thumb. If surgery is 2 or more weeks out I can get about anything done. Otherwise it's 3 months in a splint. I have 7 sheaths to complete this weekend. I love making sheaths for these heavy duty knives.

Update, I met with surgeon today and he asked if I was in pain, I told him no, he said he would wait for any surgery. He said the surgery can happen anytime or never at all. It's up to me. After considering the risks of surgery vs no surgery I'll take the doctors advice. So a thumb I can close but not open is better than something in between.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: on with the sheaths!

Back