Sheathing options?

Hi, i'm currently stationed in Iraq and I was thinking the Raven would be a good knife for me. I'd like to steer away from the Urban Raven because I already have a benchmade 722BT that is close to the same size. I'd like to mount the raven horizontally along my belt with the handle coming out the left side. I carry my 722 in my right pocket and a leatherman tool over the right buttock. Using a ruler I estimate that the handle will protrude fully from the side of my body, that is, if viewed from the front, the hilt of the blade will *just* be obsucured by my side.

I work on the Hunter UAV and the entire regular course of my duties is set on Balad AB. I'm not exposed to direct fire and I don't have to use vehicles. With my interceptor armor on, the knife and sheath will be completely exposed as i'm rather tall and the back of the armor isn't. The interceptor armor should obscure about 1.5" of the handle viewed from the front. If I mount the knife with the supplied sheath on my left leg, the IBA will interfere with it consantly. If I mount it on the vest directly, i'll just get infurated as that is what I tried with my bayonet and it just didn't work out.

As you have probably surmised, I won't be using this as a combat knife. I need something to cut stuff all the time though and the blade shape of the raven would be far better for what i'm doing than the 722.

I'm probably going to get the raven with a regular sheath and then worry about the belt sheath later. Any suggestions?

Excellent choice for a combat/utility blade!Also if you want a knife that cuts then this is it for sure.The Raven has a high grind bevel which slices and slashes real well.The steel has a high wear resistance and will even hold up during minimal digging with edge left to cut okay with.I have carried my Raven in the jungle,all over the eastern woodland US and soon for training in the US desert.Man when you lock your hand on those gunner grips tight against the integral gaurd you know you got something!I had buy brown make me a kydex for mine with a tek lock so I can tie it to belt or pack in a second,this may be a good option for you.Also a few friends of mine have mentioned a problem with carrying knives out in the open as it may be offensive to the Iraqie people :rolleyes: .I dont know this to be true though,but the kydex would allow for easier concealment.Hope this helped!

Hi Skyssx...

I make all of the synthetic sheaths for the UR,CF and BR... I have also made a few personal sheaths for the Raven...

If we can get Christine to send me a Raven, I will sheath it for you, however you want, with whatever mounting system you need and ship it to you at N/C....

This may depend on whether Chris has a Raven she can send me...

I'll send her this link and see what she says...

You may want to give her a shout and talk with her about it as well.

Whatever it takes, I'll do my part......

Feel free to email me with any questions you may have

ericn@mnsi.net

ttyle

Eric....

Skyssx...

Just talked to Chris about this,,and we're going to figure out something for you...

Do you have a Raven right now ???

I'll get you a Concealex sheath come hell or high water...

email me if you like:

ttyle

Eric....

No, I don't have a Raven yet. I really don't need any type of rush treatment, especially if someone else is looking for one too. I won't take charity either.

I'll try to get some pictures of me wearing my usual gear so you can get an idea of where i'd like the knife.

Also, what sharpener is reccomended? I wasn't watching the packers closely enough when they were boxing up all my civilian stuff and my gatco kit went with them. I've heard good things about spyderco sharpmakers but i'm notoriously horrible on guideless systems.

Hey Skyssx....

Ok,, I thought you already had one....

Talk with Christine, and once you get set up with a blade,,have Christine let me know and I'll set you up...

Charity ! Hell No.. The sheath would be on a Long Term Field Test..:)

As far as sharpeners go...

I prefer any type of DMT product.. I have several,, from a flip open smaller type, to a credit card sized one, right up to the bench stone.

I believe this is what Rob used to sharpen with as well...

Just let us know when you are ready to go...

ttyle

Eric...

Back