Sheaths for Basics

I've been considering buying a Busse Basic, which will be my first, probably a #5 or #7.

But I'm confused as to what sheath options are/will be available, and their relative merits.

It seems that one company, NW Cutlery, has gone so far as to withdraw Busse Basics from sale, stating on their website that they do not believe that the new leather sheaths are of sufficient quality. What are the forumites' opinions of these sheaths? (And are there any pictures available, as I have not been able to find any?)

I will probably opt for Kydex, given the choice, since one of the jobs for my new knife will be to accompany me on a two month canoeing trip down the Amazon in the near future. Would the leather sheaths be up to this kind of environment? Does anyone have a rough date for the availability of Basics with Kydex, apart from the 1SKS variant?

Finally, the only source of Basics with Kydex sheaths at the moment seems to be the 1SKS, but I am concerned by the 'J' loop feature. From the pictures of the Basic #3 sheath on another thread, it appears to me that it would allow the sheath to scoot around on the belt when worn in a conventional 'not-inside-the-pants' fashion (as there seems to be a lot of 'space' within the loop). Am I mistaken? Mike?

Sorry to ask so many question in one go, but they seem to have accumulated in my head over the past few days! Thanks

Dom

I've got both a #5 and #7, the #7 came with kydex and the #5 was one of the first ones with leather. The leather sheath is top-quality, no doubt about it. That being said, I don't like leather sheathes period. I always opt for kydex and if you're going to the amazon, I'd definetely go for kydex. The leather on the Busse sheath is very think and treated, but I've heard that the constant heat and humidity will destroy just about any leather sheath.

As far as availability goes, 1SKS should have them soon, and I think Mike is going to have the regular kydex too (no "J" loop) perhaps Andy or Jerry could help here with an better idea of availability.

If the Busse is going to be your primary knife for the trip, I'd go for the #7. If it's a secondary knife I'd take the #5. One thing you might want to consider is that in a jungle enviornment most prefer to use a machette for bruch clearing and the like. Ron Hood swears by them. Check out the Wilderness Forum for some more input. Hope this helps.

------------------
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n"
John Milton
There are only two types of people; those who understand this, and those who think they do.

Thanks Johan,

I'd already considered what you mentioned about knife choice, and I'll probably go for a #5 as a secondary, along with a machete or kukri. However, I want to keep the overall weight down so recently I've been considering the #9 as a primary. I am not actually sure what I will need to use the knife for, particularly as we will be travelling by water most of the time, so I will post a question on the Wilderness & Survival Forum soon.

Dom

Only the #3 and #5 will have the J loop. The sample we have here works great. I too have a little concern about the knife slipping past the J loop. A simple modification I have now come up with makes it work great. If you look close at my pic you can the the cut on the Kydex is at an angle. That cut along with a more pronounced bend in the kydex will force the belt to stay in the loop area. I have modified mine here (after the pic was taken) and it works KICK ASS!

We will have 4 different styles of sheath available for most of the Basic line. Leather, Kydex (my varient) Kydex (Jerry's) and Concealex by Eric Noeldechen and maybe some from River City as well.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
Show Your Support -Visit Our Sponsors - Click On The Banners!
Visit www.onestopknifeshop.com
All sales from 1 Stop Knife Shop help support this site!

Back