Sheaths,what type/kind do you use?

All the talk (typing) about knives, how about what kind of sheaths do you have for your knife? How do you carry it for a specific role or mission? Concealed or on a military kit of some type?
Greg, your chapter on this subject in your book Battle Blades was great, just looking to see what others around here thought and if you have seen or used anything new since the book worth mentioning.
Right now my Strider WB rides in a few sheaths, the great SOE sheath it came with and two Kydex rigs I've made for it. One for IWB carry and one attached to my vest. The SOE sheath stays on my belt for normal wear and goes on my calf while jumping/jumpmaster duties.
Before the WB I replaced the leather sheath for my Randall#14 with a great one from Eagle Industries, got tired of waiting for the leather to dry out.
Also like the idea that for the nylon sheaths from Eagle and SOE you can get extentions for the sheaths to drop them a few inches lower off your belt to get knife away from the rest of your kit and easier to draw and re-sheath.
I have also made a Kydex insert that goes into the spare mag pouch on my drop-leg holster that holds the blade of a small fighter, it uses the male portion of the velcro on the lid of the pouch to hold the insert in place.
But the way I feel about it is like this,you don't buy a $1000 rifle, then go to K-Mart and buy a $50 piece of glass to put on top of it. You then shouldn't do the same to your blade, spend the right amount of money,put it in the right place, secure it the correct way and it will be there for you when you need it.

Bless your heart, Fallschrimjager

Whatever sheath you get, make sure it's made by someone who doesn't use the same toaster oven for forming that they use for their breakfast scones. I saw this one abortion of a sheath that was made by this tree hugging hippie who lives on an island that would be fit only for carrying a tactical claw hammer, or maybe a flexicuff, or a KelTec; certainly not a respectable piece of steel.

I don't believe in calf sheaths - even when I was jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. I found that while they might be great in the airplane, they are far too mission specific and suck royally after you've exited the aircraft. Catching your calf rig on concertina is an experience you won't forget. Getting hung up at the top of a fence is another. I've seen a few shoulder rigs that would work under the harness, but the calf rig never worked for me. Having a multi-purpose rig is a pretty good idea provided it's secure enough... what do you use to secure it to your gear? Fastex, TekLock, double fold over Velcro?

Kevin

I know that not that many folks carry a tactical folder in a sheath, but Kenny Rowe made a "Folder Holster" for my Benchmade Walter Brend Combat Folder that I dearly love. It has a forward cant angled just about like the original Tom Threepersons revolver holsters (anybody remember those...? ;) ), and you can "pop" the strap with your thumb like we did the old Threepersons/Jordan Border Patrol holsters for a way fast draw if you need to. Kenny is a super guy to deal with who does great work at a fair price with good turnaround time.

Works for me!:)

Spark, 100% right about the calf sheath not working once you are back on terra firma. The SOE sheath comes off the calf and with the double fold over velcro goes back on my belt and the velcro straps that kept it on my calf during the jump goes in my ruck.
I'll keep the SOE sheath on my belt even if I don't put the knife in there all the time. Some of the time it might be in my Kydex sheath on my chest rig. But the SOE sheath stays on becouse I'll use it when out of my kit so my kit,while left unattended it does not have my knife left on it.
Working on a sheath to fit in the hollow portion of the outside pocket of the ALICE pack, so that while jumping combat equipment my knife will be right there on my front. Might use a AF Survival knife for this as I wouldn't want to put my main blade on a piece of equipment that I might have to ditch, would hate to be without everything if I had to ditch my ruck. But then I've added more weight, and a knife that is just going to ride in my ruck for the rest of the trip. There is a line cutter sold at the local climbing store that weighs only a few ounces, kind of like a bright orange J with a blade in the hook of the J,might be a better solution, and safer than weilding a blade around in the aircraft,air or while hung in a tree.
I don't know, that EOD hippie has some good stuff going on over there on his island.
Take care, Dean

Wow, those are some really far out concepts in sheath making, man. Oh wait, I have to go get the deer out of my organic garden. Where the hell are my Brikenstocks?

Robert, once you get done hitch-hiking to Atlanta this summer for the Blade Show I'll see you there with some of my far out sheaths.
Seriously though you have some very nice work, look forward to seeing you there.
Town Sergeant, I agree with you about Kenny Rowe, I have one of his sheaths for a Peter Bauchop Alley Kitten I have, kind of a swivel type on the belt afair, very nice work.
Take care, Dean

Back