sheepfoot vs droppoint (Pic)

I seem to like the sheepfoot more and more on utilityknives but I think it misses some of the good things from the droppoint.
I am working on a new design I call "reversed droppoint" which I think is a blend between the 2.
What do you think?
rd.jpg

------------------
Jens Anso, ansoknive@usa.net
(check out my homepage)
home6.inet.tele.dk/ansoe/ansoknives

[This message has been edited by ansoknive (edited 05 May 1999).]

Jens, I'm a big fan of both the drop point and the sheepfoot, or warncliff designs (is there a specific difference between the two terms, or have they become interchangable?). Those scimitar-sweep bowies don't float my boat for some reason, but I'm weird that way. I think the sheepfoot or warncliff is a very underated design, and affords pretty darn good point control during delicate or even utility work. Besides yourself, other makers are beginning to see the light in offering this alternative design. Dozier's "reverse tanto", for example, is very warncliff in design, and I love Scott Sawby's folder for the same reason. Myerchin, I believe, doesn't make a knife that doesn't have the warncliff/sheepfoot. It's a useful, attractive design, and your sketch is a great example of how attractive a sheepfoot can be. I like it, great job, Jens!

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arm's reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

I greatly prefer the "straight part" to be on the spine of the blade, and I've been careful not to own any sheepfoots ("sheepfeet"?) styles. It's much easier to remember "Not to put your thumb where the straight part is" than to remember which knife I'm carrying. I remember clearly trying to file my thumbnail with the wrong SAK blade - lots of blood.

I agree with your thinking. The sheepsfoot is a very practical blade, especially for opening boxes, packages, etc. , but I don't like the style as a "one blade that does everything".

Your design looks like it would be a nice all-purpose blade. You don't have to make it from scratch though. Check out Myerchin's line of rigging knives. The blade shape appears to be almost identical to your drawing.

Does anyone else know of any other manufacturers that make a similiar blade?

Jens,

That is a very interesting looking design. I suggest making some knives with that blade shape for some real world testing.

Regards,

Tom Carey

------------------
IF you are a knife maker interested in free space on the web.
Check out. CGA online

www.anova.org/cga/

I like the sheepsfoot design. Especially around horses. My next purchase will be a spyderco Mariner(or similar) for carry on horseback. It will replace my Delica. The reasoning is that I carry a knife in case I have to cut a halter, bridle, cinch strap or... and don't really like the idea af placing an extremely pointy object next to a possibly paniced(?) horse to cut him loose.
Your design is very nice
smile.gif

------------------
Don Juvet, Somerset CA

I believe that the difference between a sheepsfoot and a warncliff is that a sheepsfoot has a pronounced change in the curvature near the point, while the warncliff has a more continuous curve. basically, if you could trace it with a French curve, it's a warncliff. Warncliffs also seem to have fairly long shallow swedges sometimes (not really a swedge, but, ya know, just the slightest grind on the spine), while sheepsfoots have a flat spine for the full length or at least right to where the curve increases. Sheepsfoot blades deliberately have no tip at all, while a warncliff can have a very good but low point. OK, that's my guess
wink.gif

I don't know which I'd call this design, but I certainly do like it!

------------------

-Corduroy
(Why else would a bear want a pocket?)

I'm a big fan of the Wharncliff pattern, the Mike Irie knife I just got, the Sport 400 is a good example of that style, though on his the edge isn't straight, it slopes up slightly near the tip which is a good trade off.

The notes above are fairly accurate in their description of the two types, the way I remember the Wharncliff is to spell it as worn-cliff a gradual drop off, maybe that's how the name came to be?

G2

------------------
When a fellow says, "it ain't the money but the principle of the thing,"
it's the money.
F. McKinney Hubbard

<A href="www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/7306/blades.html">G2's
Leather!</A>

[This message has been edited by Gary W. Graley (edited 06 May 1999).]

Back