Sheffield Spring Knife Patterns of 1816

Thank you for sharing the photos, Jack! :thumbup: It's a neat example of the early use of some of the "terms of art".

Some very interesting patterns. Man would I like to see some of these in real life:D Just a great resource,Jack! Thanks for posting this:thumbup::thumbup:

Many thanks folks, I'm glad this was of interest :thumbup:

Great stuff Jack I sure be happy to have few in my pocket.
Thanks for taking the trouble to upload all these fascinating pages.

Mike

How cool! Great info there Jack, it's amazing to see the great-great-great-grandparents of what many of us are carrying today. I even see a hint of Barlow pattern in some of those. It's interesting that in many ways not much has changed in these designs and blades.

Thanks for the pictures. I learn something new every time I browse the forum.

Thank you so much for sharing all these drawings!

What is the purpose of those blades?

You're welcome sir :thumbup: Those are fleam blades, used for 'bleeding' cattle and horses for veterinary purposes, they were used in conjunction with a 'blood stick'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleam

I like those broad old blades-it would take a while to sharpen those down to nothing.

I think that would have been a concern, as I believe the steel was softer then, and knives did actually 'wear out'.

Great stuff Jack I sure be happy to have few in my pocket.
Thanks for taking the trouble to upload all these fascinating pages.

Thanks Mike, yes, me too! :thumbup:

How cool! Great info there Jack, it's amazing to see the great-great-great-grandparents of what many of us are carrying today. I even see a hint of Barlow pattern in some of those. It's interesting that in many ways not much has changed in these designs and blades.

Isn't it just! Long-bolsterd knives were very fashionable, but I was incorrect when I stated in the Barlow thread that the two 'Barlow' marked blades would have been made by John Barlow. By the time of the publication of Smith's Key, John Barlow, the last of the cutlers descended directly from Obadiah Barlow, had passed on, and Samuel Barlow was using the 'Barlow' mark. As can be seen from the illustrations though, there were other cutlers making long-bolstered knives :thumbup:

Thanks for the pictures. I learn something new every time I browse the forum.

Thank you Jack! This is a wonderfully enjoyable and informative thread.

Thanks guys :)

Thanks for posting these designs Jack, very interesting!
It would be nice to make some of those one day.

Cheers

paul

I would highly recommend anyone interested in old spring knives and other tools to obtain a copy of Mr. Smith's book. It is a valuable resource and most enjoyable to peruse. Thanks for posting Jack. Curious about some of the colorings as my copy does not have them.

Thanks for posting these designs Jack, very interesting!
It would be nice to make some of those one day.

Thanks Paul, most definitely :thumbup:

I would highly recommend anyone interested in old spring knives and other tools to obtain a copy of Mr. Smith's book. It is a valuable resource and most enjoyable to peruse. Thanks for posting Jack. Curious about some of the colorings as my copy does not have them.

That's interesting Brad, I've certainly seen illustrations from the book before, which were just in black and white :thumbup:

Back in the old days in England the word Buck also encompassed a number of species of small antelope -waterbuck, Spring bok ,Indian black buck- so the "buck" handles may be horn rather than antler-which I think IMO would be termed Stag. ....maybe.:) love that artwork though -I'd like to blow em up(in a good way) and frame them.
Thanks guys. Here's a slightly larger pic Will, it doesn't look like stag though :confused: Note the curve on the 'Sheep Foot blade'. Almost no tang on the top 3 either, I guess the maker's name would have been on the blade.

Thanks for sharing these wonderfully detailed images Jack! Found myself lost for a while looking at some of the intricate work depicted in so many of the knives. The Brass Shoulders, Square Clean Joint Knives, and Slot Knives look particularly interesting. Thank you for the time you spend posting these things up and sharing them here for our enjoyment! :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks Duane, I'm glad they were of interest to you my friend, some really beautiful patterns there aren't there? :) :thumbup:

Back