Sher Attitude Pictures and mini review

I picked this Sher Attitude up from 8/09 DOTD and I have to say, this kukri (or kukri like object) is really just about near perfect. The blade is extremely well made with almost none existent hammer marks (you could put a ruler on the blade and every part is as even as humanly possible). The blade was also sharp enough to shave with out of the box. :eek: The fit on the bolster is near perfect with very little laha showing. The handle fit, finish, and shape is perfect. The fitting on the scabbard is snug while still being loose enough that it can be drawn easy.

If this was a custom made knife and I had to pay 4-5 times as much as I did, I would still be very happy with it. Out of all of the hand forged knives that I own, this is the absolute closest to perfect that I have seen. :thumbup:

Now for the cutting part. The blade cuts fairly well, about as well as a 15in AK. For chopping it takes about 5 minutes to go though some decent size logs (see pics). For batoning it fairs a little less then a 15in AK, however it still does the task fairly easy. Where the Sher Attitude really excels is in limbing, for this I have never seen anything like it. Limbing is extremely easy to do with the Sher Attitude and it has been the best I have seen so far, it even out performs bigger kukris at this task.

Thanks Yangdu for another wonderful knife.

Sorry for the not very well written review (I have limited time...). Maybe the pictures can tell a better tale.

DSCF0602b.jpg

DSCF0603b.jpg

DSCF0604b.jpg

DSCF0605b.jpg

DSCF0607b.jpg

DSCF0608b.jpg

DSCF0611b.jpg

Great review and thanks:) i really enjoy my SAS. Actually i keep it here at the office to play around with. It really is a great do-it-all blade for the hiker on the go. chops, splits, limbs, and is light enough to bush whack. Plus is packs so slim. I know that packing something like the SAS around would make me feel a whole lot better in big cat country;)

Jake

IN my opinion the Sher Attitude doesn't photo well. Since the Attitude is not a actor in a fantasy production in Hollywood, that doesn't. When one actually holds this blade in the hand, it is a different impression than that of the picts it the DOD. It looks pretty neat, actually, and the comparison to a wood chopping razor comes to mind.
It has a niche for itself. Camp chores, backpacking; and it's of modest weight and without the two tools, so the sheath is slender and more easily born under some conditions, and it carries even lighter than a comparable weighted blade.
I like mine and am real glad I have it. The absence of a cho was a shock to many, and I think a fine model may be dismissed because of that.

coincidentally, my own is also very finely made.

munk

Munk may be right and this model doesn't take good pics in the DOTD, but yours look excellent. Good advertising right there. Is that sisau wood or satisal? I think I remember this one as I almost got it. Bladite also snagged one very similar fairly recently I think. The price has really come down on these as well, about $50 from the introductory price that I paid.

I have a neem one but yours looks even nicer. Great review and pictures.

Norm

Great pics and review. I really liked seeing this since I just ordered my second SAS today. I really like the SAS for all of the reasons above. It's slimmer and does such a great job of felling saplings and working around camp. It's gradual curve seems to reach out and grab branches a bit better than my Ganga Ram or WWII.
DanR

Is that sisau wood or satisal?

Its sisau. Really beautiful wood, has some what of a glow in sunlight.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Forgot to post this in the first post, but the total length is 18" and weighs 25oz.

It's gradual curve seems to reach out and grab branches a bit better than my Ganga Ram or WWII.>>>>>>>>>DanR

Yes. I've never been a Sirupate owner, though I have a Chitlangi, WWll, and a Hanshee for that matter. I'd guess the Attitude is in that class. It must have the perfect specs for its dimensions.
It clears the thick brambles and tree-like shrubs, and it is not a slouch at heavier wood. That's surprising. Mine only weighs 22 ounces at 18" long. I believe it chops better than the too-light Foxy Folly at 24 ounces. Shape and distribution of weight matter, and the edge geometry needs to be matched to that and the purpose of its use.

Add to that the whole kit and kaboodle weighs 29 ounces. I'm carrying a khuk and sheath that weighs what many of my favorite khuks do with the blade alone. Is that backpackable or what?

Sher did something right.
Oh, and even though I've said what many have- sweep the blade in above the bolster gradually instead of leaving that edge out. But we do call it the, "Attitude", and I don't think it would look like a razor without the abrupt begining.

munk

Back