1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 12 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Himalayan Imports Sirupati Khukuri!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Himalayan Imports Sirupati Khukuri, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, March 23; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Shinogi-zukuri Tanto in blue koshirae

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by planube, Jun 15, 2012.

1. planube

planube

Jan 28, 2012
    Hello, guys. I want to show you a Tanto i´ve finished yesterday. The blade is forged in Hitachi White Paper steel, water quenched, and polished with sandpaper, and also with natural stones in the final steps. The habaki and seppa were made from brass, the tsuka and saya are in beech tree, koiguchi and kurikata in buffalo horn, and fuchigashira in copper. Under the wrap it has natural beige same and bronze menukis with silver bath. The tsuba is forged from a 10 layer laminated of 1070 and 1095.

I´m sorry about my poor english.

Regards, Pablo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Petiepablo37

Petiepablo37

May 29, 2012
    Very nice........:D

3. kristoffsky

kristoffsky

Mar 8, 2011
    Looks damn good.

4. Gaspumps

Gaspumps

May 14, 2012
    Me like and me want!!!!!!!!!

5. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Your English is as perfect as the blade is....both flawless.

Yoku yatta

6. Mike Davis

Mike Davis

Feb 7, 2006
    Very nice! Fit and finish both look amazing.

7. AVigil

AVigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Just wonderful :thumbup:

8. John Katt

John Katt

Mar 19, 2012
    super cool knife ;0)

9. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
    Great tanto! Wow, that white paper steel looks amazing. I'm very jealous of your ability to obtain it. You certainly know what to do with it!

10. Josh Mason

Josh Mason

Jun 15, 2011
    My socks are officially knocked off. wonderful!

11. SBranson

SBranson

Oct 29, 2006
    Very Nice! I particularly like the mokko guard and the hamon looks great. The colour combination in the tsuka is really appealing.

Just to be picky, isn't this a shobu-zukuri? I don't see a yokote line but maybe I just can't see it.

The wrap looks nice and even except at the knots. Something a little strange going on there.... extra wrap?

Just out of curiosity, did you water quench this?

12. b_rogers

b_rogers

Sep 25, 2011
    Nice!!

13. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Pablo - Very nice. The colors are well chosen.

14. planube

planube

Jan 28, 2012
    Ki
    It hasn't yokote, i imagined shobu zukuri as a more advanced shinogi, but if the only diffdrence between shobu and shinogizukuri is the existence or not of yokote, then it is perhaps a shobu.
    Yes, it was water quenched. From 765 celsius to 60 celsius water.

And yes the knots are a bit artificially made. It possibily are 5 mm extra lenght in the tsuka. Thanks very much for your sincerely comments, Stuart.

15. planube

planube

Jan 28, 2012
    Salem, yes, it is an amazing very-non alloyed steel. The best property is that it has NOT manganese. In spite of it is 1,2% of C, the rate of cracks in water is much less than in 1095.
    Regards, and thanks for your comments. Pablo.

16. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006