shiny leather

I've got an old Rigid knife/ & heath. Wanted to restore the sheath. As you'll see, I a newbie. Yes, I'm embarrassed to even ask but gotta learn somehow. I loaded the sheath with Neatsfoot oil (lots, dripping), tried to polish it with Angelus clear polish, oops, forgot to clean it so I did with FurnitureClinic leather cleaner. Then I rubbed it down with their leather protection cream. Finally I applied Angelus clear polish again and wonder why I can't get it to shine. How many mistakes did I make and is there anything I can do?

I hate to tell you this partner but if you indeed had it dripping with Neatsfoot oil it is pretty well beyond repair. Neatsfoot oil is used in very sparing amounts to restore the oils in leather dried out by wet forming or just age. Put too much on and you essentially destroy the integrity of the piece with no way to go back. Nothing you do after that will be of any real benefit.
Randy

There's some folks around here that could sure help ya with that!

There's some folks around here that could sure help ya with that!
The sheath is still functional, just dull and soft. Might not hold up to much abuse. This one has the “R” for Rigid so worth keeping. Plan to let go of it so I’ll have to disclose my mistake. Thank for the help…n.

Back