• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Shipping Advice Needed

Hello there . . .

I'm a total newbie at selling knives online and, while I get the USPS priority mail flat rate thing, I was wondering how sellers deal with shipping more expensive items. Do you insure your shipment and calculate shipping costs based on the buyer's location and insured amount? How do you pass that information on to potential buyers in your posts?

Thanks

You don't pass it on. IMHO, it's the cost of doing business in owning and choosing to sell a high end knife. If you have a knife that you sell for $3,ooo, insure it for that amount, package it very well in a Priority flat-rate box, and send it off. 99.999% of the time, there will be no issues. A little common sense goes a long way.

You don't pass it on. IMHO, it's the cost of doing business in owning and choosing to sell a high end knife. If you have a knife that you sell for $3,ooo, insure it for that amount, package it very well in a Priority flat-rate box, and send it off. 99.999% of the time, there will be no issues. A little common sense goes a long way.
Thanks . . .

Chris' advice is good...:thumbsup:

What I've learned from lurking for years here and watching the most reputable sellers, buyers, and traders and being a paying member for a few years:

List your blade with an ALL INCLUSIVE, SIMPLE, SHIPPING & PayPal G&S FEES on you, ONE SINGLE TYD PRICE. As a seller, settle on what your best price is beforehand >>> and list that <all in> PRICE the buyer is responsible for to get the parcel to their doorstep with ALL FEES, SHIPPING, & INS. covered BY YOU <the SELLER>. Don't belabor your buyers with "net to me," "let's split the fees," "you cover your own shipping & I cover fees" or any other similar convoluted conditions attached to your listing. Sell it like you'd wanna buy it.... ONE SIMPLE PRICE TO GET WHAT YOU DESIRE!!!;)

I always use Priority Shipping. Additionally, I require Signature Confirmation <at my expense also> for big ticket blades.

After the sale, pack it very well IN A BOX <USPS's or your own..NO ENVELOPES EVER!!!>, and tape all seams. Provide your buyer with tracking and support and communication until they let you know everything arrived safely and up to spec.

Most of all enjoy the process and make yourself some friendships with some blade folk! :)

Hello there . . .

I'm a total newbie at selling knives online and, while I get the USPS priority mail flat rate thing, I was wondering how sellers deal with shipping more expensive items. Do you insure your shipment and calculate shipping costs based on the buyer's location and insured amount? How do you pass that information on to potential buyers in your posts?

Thanks

This has nothing to do with your post so forgive me but I am still feeling like a rant from my last knife purchase from a NONknife source. In other words they, like many, didn't know how to package a knife being sold to a knife person / collector.

Here's the reason for my post : Brand new traditional. It came out of the original box into the shipping box during transit and could potentially have even exited through the folded up and stuck down package of cardboard. Luckily for me it didn't.

Here's the solution :
DO NOT TAPE THE original factory BOX CLOSED. (some want the box pristine original.) Rather wrap the box in paper and tape the paper securely; this way the factory knife box can not open and the knife will not escape. Then put in the shipping box and tape securely.

Ok thanks for listening.

Last edited:
Petey is golden. I've bought from him and he's a role model.

Wrap the knife / box and attach a packing slip with an Item Description, To and From Destinations.
Using a USPS Small Flat Rate Box- Tape the wrapped knife to the inside of the box. I learned this from members here. This way even if the box is compromised the knife can't fall out and it doesn't rattle around inside the shipping box.

Petey mentions Signature Confirmation +1. Priority Mail with insurance less than $500 will be left on the doorstep and listed as delivered. Signature Confirmation requires a signature and will indicate who signed for it.

Just figure all the fees in and price the item flat rate delivered.

If you are selling a very expensive knife you can use "Registered Mail". This is the most secure way of shipping and does cost $$$

I'll just add-don't scrimp on the tape & be sure to tape the small flat rate box ends-they will open if the box is crushed, if you haven't taped them. I usually send flat rate insured, but registered is a step up.

Hello there . . .

Thanks

1. USPS Signature Confirmation in lieu of Postal Insurance.
2. Post an all inclusive price in your sales thread (factoring in PayPal fee's & shipping into your asking price).

Good luck and welcome to BF's! :thumbsup:

Back