Shipping knives to Australia

I may be shipping a knife to Australia by USPS. I know their strict on weapons over there,
has anybody shipped straight knives Down Under?
I'm just wondering if there will be any foreseeable problems going thru customs.

Don't get to excited, I do not have an answer for you. However, if it were me shipping to Oz, I would go to the American Bladesmith website, go to their list of bladesmiths and look for one in Australia who posts his email address , and send him or her a polite request for this information.
Jim A.

I have several times. List as camping tool(which is true) and have never had a problem

Don’t ship daggers or anything that is spring assisted in anyway. Best not to ship larger knives (Bowies) with sharpened clips also. Don’t describe anything as a “fighter”. Camp knife is a good general description for your declaration, better than hunting knife. Hunting knife means a lot of different things to people down here. Also be sure the package has to be signed for. Hope this is helpful.

Don’t ship daggers or anything that is spring assisted in anyway. Best not to ship larger knives (Bowies) with sharpened clips also. Don’t describe anything as a “fighter”. Camp knife is a good general description for your declaration, better than hunting knife. Hunting knife means a lot of different things to people down here. Also be sure the package has to be signed for. Hope this is helpful.

This.

Also keep in mind that folding knives that are not assisted but can still be flicked open with gravitational force are also likely to be confiscated, so make sure they are tightened.

Asking for this kind of info online (even from a reputable bunch as those who have responded above are) is fraught with peril. Talk to the Australian authorities and get your info right from the horses mouth.

I sent a flipper and a lockback to Peter at Cedric Ada Gear and outdoors youtube channel without issues. Though it did take several weeks each time and costs were minimum of $30 to ship one way. I've seen it even more expensive from other places.

Iirc you can't send anything assisted. So speedsafe for example. You would have to ship that disassembled. Not sure on any other rules.

I feel bad for our buddies down under. The restrictions they put up with are ridiculous

Back