Shipping of internal parts

I am asking myself questions about this. I am living in France and own about 7 spydercos. For now on, I did not have to use the warranty on any of them or misplaced/wear out/break any part.
However, if I happened to lose a body/pivot screw or need a washer, is it possible to contact spyderco customer service via e-mail to ask for/buy the missing hardware ?

My understanding is that sending the knife in for warranty would cost me a LOT of money, and customs might keep it in either direction.

I am asking myself questions about this. I am living in France and own about 7 spydercos. For now on, I did not have to use the warranty on any of them or misplaced/wear out/break any part.
However, if I happened to lose a body/pivot screw or need a washer, is it possible to contact spyderco customer service via e-mail to ask for/buy the missing hardware ?

My understanding is that sending the knife in for warranty would cost me a LOT of money, and customs might keep it in either direction.
Absolutely, just go to their website for info.

Good news, even if I hope it never comes to this.
If it does happen, I trust Spyderco to have staff able to find a workable solution for both the company and the consumer!

Yes, for us international customers, sending the knife in for warranty matters doesn't really work. However, in my experience, Spyderco customer service does their best to assist us with parts. I've had Charlynn send me clips & body screws a number of times before, even for long discontinued models.

Let's say that you damaged or lost a washer when you're cleaning your knife or something, would you be able to have a replacement sent to you?

Hey Sal
Just stumbled across this thread and not sure if it's still relevant to you. Anyhow I have a bunch of pm2s, manix2s and shamans. I have been interested in some of the light weight manix models with bd1n or spy27 but kinda have been avoiding the urge to buy one because either you can't take them apart to service or they don't have a metal ball bearing carrier for the lock mechanism. Like what if I wanted to throw on some awt scales, they won't work. I'm sure everyone would be happy and agree if you sold that part.

I'd love parts to be able to be shipped, but that's only because I live in Canada and sending my knife in for warranty or any repairs is a no go due to possibly losing it at the border. I know benchmade does this, they say they do not ship internal parts but they do for Canadian customers because of it. I haven't had to use anything as I haven't broken any omega springs and I sharpen my own knives (plus they kinda suck at sharpening, unlike all my spydercos that did come impressively sharp)

Not sure what parts would be needed though, maybe screws or clips as I can't see anything actually breaking on the spyderco knives I have. But it would be a nice option for just in case.

Hi AMR, GT99,

Most knife companies make a knife and then they make the same knife forever. It's easy to send parts because they are always the same.

At Spyderco and our CQI (Constant Quality Improvement), we are alsways making changes to models. Most of these changes make it very difficult to know which part will work without actually having the knife in hand..

sal

Thanks for asking, Sal.

My thought is that a lot of your best customers are hobbyists; dedicated to every aspect of your knives.

Some of them will naturally want to tinker and build Franken-Spydies. Spyderco would of course need to disavow warranty at that time, but a reasonable person will understand. The unreasonable people can never be satisfied, so don’t worry about them.

Here’s an example: I’d like a translucent blue Manix 2 Lightweight, but with Spy27 steel; don’t care for the aqua at all. BD1N is a good steel but I’d like a bit harder while dropping short of S110v and Maxamet.

What can I do? Not much. If I could order parts from the newer screwed model and the translucent blue handles? Wow.

Maybe this is a better argument for a Spyderco Custom Shop than parts shipping, but I think you could do both.

I can't remember if I posted this here, but I need the screws to fasten the clip to a PM2. I sent a message through the Spyderco site, but it remains unanswered or ended up accidentally in my junk mail (I looked and can't find it there). First, I need the screws as my favorite carry knife, a Cruwear in Canvas Micarta is out of commission, and two, I wish there were a place on the Spyderco site to buy them. I'm missing two screws out of my 5 Spydies, and I'd pay to replace them and have a few more in case of accidental loss in the future. I love Spyderco knives, but my "main squeeze" is out of order, and the second one in S90V came upside-down for me, I'm a point-up guy. I rent a room with friends (it's better for me with my health problems), but I have little workspace. I'm afraid to try to switch the S90V PM2 around to my preferred point-up carry as it's instinctive, because I might drop a screw in this mess (I went from a fully furnished 4 BR house to a single bedroom, still sorting it out) and it would disappear along with the two I'm missing. I can't find a place on the Spyderco site to order little breakable/loseable parts.

If it matters to you, I bought all of my Spydies from knivesshipfree.com after my first bought a less expensive brand knife through them and had to return it, that's when Iexperienced their great customer service, I always look there even if I find a blade I like elsewhere. Man, if there's the slightest problem with a knife they'll make it right for you, or give you full credit for a return - no rigamarole and multiple screens to go through. The human touch is refreshing and enjoyable in this age of robotic phone management that seldom gets you to the person you need to speak with.

Please help me, Sal, it's just some teeny screws! Oh, and I should probably ask if I can buy a dedicated high-qualilty hex/Allan wrench as well. I'm sold on Spyderco to the point that I seldom look at other brands - I'm not a collector by any means, I'm a user. It's the same with my firearms - I'll stick a "heavily gun-smithed" highly polished pistol into a rough Kydex holster, if that's what works for me. I have no safe queens of any sort.

I'm going to assume I have Sal's attention, and if so then thank you very much for the Military 2 because it would minally let me carry tip-up as I have for 50-60 years (I'm a hillbilly, I've been carrying a knife of some sort since I was 6 years old) ... but could you make them in some more wear-resistant steels, please? That's the only reason I haven't bougt one yet. I'd buy at least one were it in S90V, Cruwear, or K390 - and maybe some other superior steels. Ah, shucks, I'd probably end up with all three, a big knife's a joy to use if you know how. I really like the wider "butt" of the PM's and Military models - I have hand tremors, pretty bad at times, and the Big Butts help me hang onto them much easier than, say, a lightweight Endura (although I like that knife, too, it's just a bit harder for me to use most days). I also like the pronounced Spydie-hole of the Endura and Military models, they help a great deal with the tremors, and that's why I haven't "branched out" into other models.

Hi Thorgrim,

Parts are never as simple as it may seem. We have many models and hey don't all use the same screws. We also have CQI (Constant Quality Improvement), where parts are changed as the model is improved. So it's a matter of trying to figure out what model you have.

I would suggest trying to call Customer Service. Another possibility is to post on our site forum, where moderators frequent more. I'll forward your post t Kristi as well. Good luck. We'll get it fixed.

sal

Hi Thorgrim,

Parts are never as simple as it may seem. We have many models and hey don't all use the same screws. We also have CQI (Constant Quality Improvement), where parts are changed as the model is improved. So it's a matter of trying to figure out what model you have.

I would suggest trying to call Customer Service. Another possibility is to post on our site forum, where moderators frequent more. I'll forward your post t Kristi as well. Good luck. We'll get it fixed.

sal

Thanks, Sal! It's seldom in today's world you can get through to the owner or manager of a company, much less get a personal reply. That's why that in most cases, if Spyderco doesn't make it I don't want it. I find little reason to go elsewhere unless I'm seeking a specific style knife that Spyderco doesn't offer - although I can't imagine what kind of knife that might be.

Back