Shirogorov 111 Flipper

Meanwhile in Russia…

0_d0f22_c30f3d71_XXL.jpg

Hi everyone!

My third review is about a knife not really famous among the western knife-community. It is truly a Flipper, but 111. The model was by introduced Shirogorov Brothers Inc. in December 2011 year and this is actually the first knife of Shirogorov brothers I obtained. It happened in August 2012 when I visited SBI stand at the hunting fair in Moscow. Shortly after that I realized I’m keen on their knives and later got Tabargan 100 NS, Flipper 95, Hati and others. Still my first one has always been a special for me.

Knife Specs

“111” is a blade length as you should have already guessed from the model name.
Other specs come like this:

Opened length – 9.85” (25.0 cm)
Closed length - 5.6” (14.2 cm)
Blade thickness – 0.175” (4.5 mm)
Blade steel – CPM S35VN (59-60 HRC)
Width – 1.18” (3.00 cm)
Lock system – liner-lock
Handle: textured G10 (or CF)
Clip – not reversible, tip-up
Weight – 5.75 Oz. (163 g)

Here is the size comparison photo with Hati

0_e9a19_763c5828_XXL.jpg

It is with the manners of BSI to make a model with various types of small modifications, making your knife different and fitting people’s taste.
I have had three different ‘111’ through the time being and each of them had some differences like:
G10 orange scales and flat grind

0_d0f20_a36b6ad1_XXL.jpg

G10 black and a lower grind and 3,5 mm thick blade – this one had an outstanding cut.

0_d0f1e_70048fe8_XXL.jpg

My favorite one, actually the one I’ve waited about 8 months in a waiting list, is this

0_d0f1f_5c5cc52_XXL.jpg

with “pits” on the blade that make the knife extremely streamlined.

With Carbon Fiber scales and polished grind the look of the knife is even better, very deluxe.

0_e9a1b_56ecbf34_XXL.jpg

Closer look

Let’s go ahead a have closer look on the knife.

Handle

First thought coming to one’s mind when you see a knife – God, it’s huge! Second, when you take it – surprisingly so comfortable, slim and light. Design built very ergonomically without stupid angles or something that hurts a palm once you grip a knife hard. 3D machined G10 scales are textured, has small notch-pattern

0_d0ee0_35479b83_XXL.jpg

Pocket clip

Strict design, made of titanium, tight for a secure fixation on the pocket. Edges are not sharp however pointed enough so that placing a knife on the pocket is not a problem. There is also a rather shallow pit under the clip for a better guidance.

0_d0ee8_c05996f_XXL.jpg

Good positioning on military pants or jeans, there’s a special wave under the plate to fix on the cloth edge. It is not a concealed-carry clip, but rather a deep-carry one.

0_e975c_f8bed3f9_XXL.jpg

When gripping the handle in hand you don’t feel the clip and palm is not suffering when performing some heavy duty job even without gloves.

In 2013 pocket clip had a restyle and now it looks more handsome keeping all the advantages of the original flat clip.

0_e9a1c_26f66b57_XXL.jpg

Backspacer

Backspacer is made from titanium it’s long and covers most part of the blade when it nestles inside the handle. You can see two groups of dents on it and a hole in the back, so one can place a sword-knot cord if he likes.

Same to the pocket clip after restyle handle backspacer now looks other way, fresh I should say. Also made of titanium, but dents were moved to the back side leaving the main plate flat.

0_e9a18_97d048f2_XXL.jpg

(upper one is old backspacer, lower - restyled)

Blade

0_e9a17_a496147c_XXL.jpg

The blade is deployed with pushing the flipper. Flip is not as furious as I have on Hati and Flipper 95, firstly because in 111 we got washers, second thing – the blade is bigger and heavier. However I like the way it flips, impressive. There are usual three dents on it for a finger not to slide down when pushing.

0_d0ef3_6c448b43_XXL.jpg

The blade is long, streamlined, thinly grinded for a good cut (about 0.4 mm at the edge).

0_d0e44_d21e47c1_XXL.jpg

0_d0f11_811ccdca_XXL.jpg

The back of the blade has a flat satin grind and and keeps thickness on two thirds of its full length, the tip is also strong enough as you can see.

0_d0f10_dd97078e_XXL.jpg

Commonly on all Shirogorov knives a very precise maximum blade length is observed, you get a best length of a blade that handle can shelter.

0_d0f12_fd6683d6_XXL.jpg

Construction and locking system

Unassembled knife looks like this

0_d0e11_907fcb9d_XXL.jpg

We’ve got two G10 handle scales (CF scales also popular), fixed together with two backspacer screws, titanium backspacer and a big pivot screw with large bronze washers. One of the back scales covers a steel liner and the front scale a big steel washer that reinforces the scale in the pivot point area. Same to Hati there is also a spacer-bush over the pivot screw that simplifies the knife tune up process.

There are at least two original technical decisions in the construction.
The first one is a stop pin fixed in the blade covered under the scale, it blocks the blade hitting the liner when deploying the blade.

0_d0e0e_37b0b267_XXL.jpg

The second one is the liner stabilizer that works in pair with a blade back side that has a pocket machined for a liner hook.

0_e977d_fda267b7_XXL.jpg

In the knife opened state the blade is locked by liner-lock. The liner has dents for a sure finger position when closing the folder.

0_d0ef9_3407ef3_XXL.jpg

Knife in hand

The long handle would be all ok for different palm size and make possible to apply different grips and even in a glove not a problem to position a hand comfortably.

0_d0f19_6046a8cf_XXL.jpg

0_d0f1b_441887ba_XXL.jpg

0_d0f1d_3baa86c_XXL.jpg

This is a serious knife, with long blade, sure-grip handle and nice cut. May be too huge for a EDC in a city (one of my mates considers it is a perfect EDC and has been a continuous EDC for two years already for him), but if you go picnicking, hunting or fishing this knife would be a good choice.

0_e9a16_57e18526_XXL.jpg

All the best and a sharp edge,
Dmitry

Dmitry,

Wow, you are one lucky guy. Beautiful pictures and great review. Thanks for sharing.

Barabus

I'll take one please...

I've pretty much opened up to wanting a 111 and/or a Hati

Most excellent review and an amazing collection of knives. Thanks.

PS: I wish he would make a model with 3" blade, more EDC friendly.

Most excellent review and an amazing collection of knives. Thanks.

PS: I wish he would make a model with 3" blade, more EDC friendly.

Thanks!
Yeap, I also dream about 3" blade small Flipper. Actually Brothers are working over this idea, also keeping in mind such folders would be very popular in the USA.

I'm not normally a folder guy but I really like these. They have great form and seem to be well thought out. I really like the pocket clip designs; for me that's where folding knives normally fall down. I've broken and bent so many clips.

These are really clean and tidy. Enjoy!!

These have beautiful lines and look very well made, congrats!

Thanks a lot for show this beauty`s and make the review.
Very happy with my ,and realy anxious pleased excited about the 2014 Versions.

Here it comes! A restyled version of 111 Flipper.

0_ea1fa_b1476093_XXL.jpg

It is not actually available for an order yet, only a few pcs. were made to be presented on knife fairs and later some of them have found comfortable place in the best collections of Russian knife community members. It is truly a custom I should say, a gorgeous one.

0_ea1fb_b635b57c_XXL.jpg

What’s new? It has a refreshed scales design that suits a hand with more comfort and new style handle screws heads.

0_ea1f9_617dfc61_XXL.jpg

Surely we see a new style pocket clip and backspacer, that we actually have already seen on some old style 111 Flipper.

The blade has a familiar design with nicely polished grind of Vanax 35 steel.

0_ea1fe_fbbce577_XXL.jpg

Besides the renovated look the knife has gained another exciting feature – now Brothers have implemented the ball-bearing system instead of simple washers. That made the flip as fast and awesome, alike we have on the Flipper 95.

What do you think about this knife?

All the best and a sharp edge,
Dmitry

While I surely would take one, I think I like the original better. Maybe it's just the busy scales. Would like to see in g10 or some less flashy carbon fiber. Very sweet knife, still though! I'll take one haha

G10 handle and old style handle scales for me sound better for a working knife, true. CF, ball-bearings also increase price quite a lot, that emotionally makes harder to use a knife in a pretty tough job hahaha

Here is an old style 111 with CF scales, agree it looks more in austere style than restyled one.

0_ece20_86716a96_XXL.jpg

0_ece1d_7febc51d_XXL.jpg

Back