Shiv. Shiv. Shiv.

Just missing black hardware...

Looks black to me. I think we’re seeing glare in the first photo.

IIRC, the Shivs all come with Ti hardware and I don’t recall any of the Ti ever being offered in a heat treated black option.

The only black option that I recall is the Black Oxide Stainless Hardware.

I don’t know if using the stainless hardware was an option, or if it was against recommended design policy on the Shiv instead of the Ti.

Maybe Nathan or Jo will chime in and clarify.

Last edited:
I like this abdominal ventilation tool…. A lot!

qwftZtq.jpeg

IIRC, the Shivs all come with Ti hardware and I don’t recall any of the Ti ever being offered in a heat treated black option.

The only black option that I recall is the Black Oxide Stainless Hardware.

I don’t know if using the stainless hardware was an option, or if it was against recommended design policy on the Shiv instead of the Ti.

Maybe Nathan or Jo will chime in and clarify.
Ah, ok. I forgot these shivs are coming with Ti screws.

Just in today. A little bigger in the hand than I thought, it’s a sweet piece of steel. Along with an awesome PirtleMade sheath to help complement it.

Pretty amazed at how far back Nathan was able to get the balance point. As well as how light in the hand for its size. Pretty awesome!

View attachment 2551802View attachment 2551803View attachment 2551804View attachment 2551805

For size comparisons

View attachment 2551845
Ok, I'm trying to decide on scales on my Shiv from the Friday sale. Are those the regular red/black scales or the new double red/double black? And they look buffed, is that right?

Ok, I'm trying to decide on scales on my Shiv from the Friday sale. Are those the regular red/black scales or the new double red/double black? And they look buffed, is that right?

They are in fact the double Red/Black Buffed Micarta scales with some Purple Nurples.

They take a nice deeper color too, if you oil or treat the scales.

For comparison, the DEK 1 isn’t Double red/black, just regular red/black

IMG_3181.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve never played with heat coloring titanium. Interested about 2 things:

1) does anyone know if the heat has any effect on the material’s tensile strength etc.? I know with steel, that indiscriminate heat can affect the heat treat, which can ultimately compromise the material’s strength (eg. When I used to work on my own vehicles and needed to use MAPP gas on stuck fasteners, common practice/recommendation was to replace them after removal).

2) where does black/near black fall, in the color progression?

1) does anyone know if the heat has any effect on the material’s tensile strength etc.? I know with steel, that indiscriminate heat can affect the heat treat, which can ultimately compromise the material’s strength (eg. When I used to work on my own vehicles and needed to use MAPP gas on stuck fasteners, common practice/recommendation was to replace them after removal).

One note on question 1) here: removing installed hardware that is red-loctited…I’ve messed up the barrels getting them too hot as they are stuck to the one screw.

Pretty sure that black is not in the color progression on titanium

The color that you see on colored titanium is not actually a real color, it has to do with the spacing of a structure that's formed corresponding with a wavelength of light. It's like the colors on a bluebird, if you crush them it goes away.

Because of this, when you anodized titanium, all you can get are colors in the rainbow because it corresponds with frequencies of light. Black is not a color on the rainbow.

I think blackened titanium is something else going on. It's a difference in chemistry than the titanium oxides that are used for colors.

Back