Short Review of Paul's Hatchet

My parents got me a Paul's Hatchet for Christmas. I have been using it for small little chores around the house. Last weekend my parents called in a favor for buying me the PH. They were cutting down one of their Cottonwood trees and needed some sharp tools. Busse to the rescue(hehehe).

I thought it was time to give PH a little beating. After, a few hours the tree was cut down. I needed to start de-limbing the main trunks. The limbs ranged from 1/4" to 2". PH was able to chop through these size limbs with a single swing. I must have taken off over a hundred small limbs. The Busse was still razor sharp. I then started chopping the main trunks(the main trunks were about 25' in lengh and there was four trunks). The trunks were around 8" to 11" thick, it only took around 15-25 hits to cut through it. Two hours later, the tree was cut into 4 foot sections and the PH was still razor sharp. In fact, the PH was so sharp that my dad didn't believe that it was still sharp. He asked to see PH and ran his finger along the edge really carefully and was shocked!!!

The coating on the blade was the crinkle finish. I have a Basic 5 that had the smooth epoxy coat, and when I used the Basic that coating chipped off quite easily. This was not the case with the crinkle coating. The more I used it the smoother it got and it did not chip off, a big improvement in my book.

The handle on the PH is micarta. I have not been able to test the toughness of the material. The scales did not loosen at all and showed no signs of scratches, again a good thing. However, this material is very hard and unforgiving, after 15 minutes my hands began is start showing signs of reddness and blisters. I had to finish the job wearing a pair of gloves. I have never had this problem with any of my Basics, due to the rubber handles(I can't remember the name for the rubber). I really wish that Mr. Busse would offer a rubber handle as an option.

A really neat feature to the hatchet is that one can choke up a the handle and use the hatchet like a knife. Also, PH makes a really good throwing hatchet.

All I can say is that if you have to pack light or God forbid only take one knife, the Paul's Hatchet is what I would bet my life on. A sincere thanks to both Paul and Jerry Busse, for creating such functional works or art. :)

Darkjedi - "May the Force be with you always."

:cool:

Glad to see your finally giving the PH a workout DJ2!
Isn't INFIs edge durability awesome?:D

many thanks for the review, thats exactly what i wanted to know!

the only problem now is that i MUST have one.
hopefully my first busse (a CG Satin Jack that i traded for :D :D :D )will be here in a few days and it will satisfy me for a little while.

i can already see this is going to be another expensive obsession, and just when i thought i was over the strider bug, this comes along!

:)

DJ,
Thanks for the great review. It is nice to see someone give their thoughts on the PH after giving it a good workout. I've eyed one since they came out. After reading this I guess its time to buy one ;)

I've been hoping for a PH review, and this one is very informative. If you ever do any skinning/field dressing with the hatchet, I'd appreciate your impressions of how it works for that.

Before someone else asks, which one do you think is next? :D

DarkJedi2 - THANKS for the excellent real-world review!
(Just makes the ol' knife-budget that much tighter...;) )
& i'm glad that you like the Busse Hatchet. Good to know that Busse has yet "one-more" DO-EVERYTHING TOOL in their repertoire...

PayBack~ - Just b'cuz ya got over strider, doesn't mean you will EVER "get over" INFI !!! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha !!!!
:p :D :eek: :cool:
i don't think i ever will....

Yours in INFI Approval, Endorsement, Encouragement, & all-around praise,
Climber Clif ___.-^-._.-^-._.-^-.___

Thanks for the review. I've been thinking about buying a PH for work (firefighting). One guy on my shift carries a small truckman's axe. Cute, but definately not nuclear.

Can you give me some insight on the sheath? How secure is it, etc? I would have to carry it on a belt or airpack outside my gear, am I gonna lose it?

I have an uncle who is a Phoenix Firefighter and I believe that you may have some problems with the sheath. The sheath is cordura(sp?)with a kydex insert, with two snap-fastners. From my limited knowledge about how hot the temps get in a fire, the sheath may readily melt.

I am unaware of any sheath makers that work in Nomex or Kelvar, however David Brown does like challenges. His web site is www.buybrownholsters.com.

I believe that PH could really be a lifesaver. INFI appears to keep its integrity at high temp and Micarta won't melt. The hatchet does feel very secure in the hand while wearing gloves. I have used PH as a wedge to split larger pieces of wood, and not damaged the Hatchet. PH is an excellent entry tool. You can either cut around a door lock or wedge it in the frame and press, press, and press. The door magically opens:D

All I can say is that if Jerry discontinued the Paul's Hatchet tomorrow you would really be missing out on a good all-round tool.

Darkjedi - "May the Force be with you always."

Matt Draper is another fine sheath-maker who enjoys challenges; he might be willing to work in Nomex or Kevlar, if he hasn't already: mdraper@mail.utexas.edu is where he can be reached; i trust he won't mind his contact address posted here ;) He may need the hatchet to make it, as would most any maker on such an unusual project (flame-retarding sheath for a specialized hatchet) but hey, if it turns out great, it'll be worth the wait...
INFI Powered,
Climber Clif ___.-^-._.-^-._.-^-.___

If its hot enough to melt a sheath, I'm not gonna worry too much about losing my hatchet. Worry more about getting fried! :eek: The actual temp in most fires is a lot lower than you would expect.

Still, a custom sheath, even of leather, would probably be a good idea. The thing I like about the hatchet, is that it won't scare as many people as say, my BM.

Thanks for the feedback and sheathmakers!

Check out David Brown's web site. He has already created a sheath for the Paul's Hatchet and has several pics of it on his site.

Nice informative review DJ.., thanks...I've gotta look at one of these guys :)

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Back