Shotgun barrel (4140?) into knife?

I've been bouncing around the idea of making a knife for some time now. I've gathered materials here & there and I'm on the verge of giving it a go.

While in my garage looking at things I have and making a list of what I'll need I moved a piece of shotgun barrel out of my way and a light bulb (albeit a dim one) went off in my head.

I love guns, I love blades (admittedly I love guns more) so making a knife out of a piece of discarded shotgun barrel would be frigging awesome!
(Picked up a Winchester 1300 that is becoming an SBS).

The barrel that is left is about a 12" long and I'm assuming 4140 steel. I am sure 4140 isn't an ideal knife material but if could be done right? I feel like 12" is more than enough steel to forge. I'd be looking at doing some folding with it I think.

Anyone here lend advice against what I'm thinking? I'm I so far out there that this is just a silly idea (I do get those from time to time).

Thanks in advance!!

4140 is .40% carbon. A bit low for a knife. (it won't be very hard). It would make a nice tomahawk. If you are new to knifemaking, the process to forge a knife, or tomahawk out of a shotgun barrel will require a steep learning curve. Most makers start out utilizing the stock removal method (grinding a flat ground piece of knife quality steel into a knife shaped object). See the stickies at the top of this subforum regarding tips for new knife makers.

4140 is .40% carbon. A bit low for a knife. (it won't be very hard). It would make a nice tomahawk. If you are new to knifemaking, the process to forge a knife, or tomahawk out of a shotgun barrel will require a steep learning curve. Most makers start out utilizing the stock removal method (grinding a flat ground piece of knife quality steel into a knife shaped object). See the stickies at the top of this subforum regarding tips for new knife makers.
That's what I'd initially planned and the materials for which I've gathered.

Perhaps I'll shelve this idea for a later date when experience has been gained.

What can be done with that barrel is make a san-mai blade from it. You will need a friend who can forge weld. First, heat to forging temp and flatten the barrel into a thin oval. Then grind away one end to make a "U". Next, slip an 1/8" bar of 1095/W2/52100 into the "U" and forge weld it solid ( called a "hot dog" weld). Forge this out into a bar of flat stock the desired thickness and cut/grind a knife from it. Harden for the core steel. The resulting blade has softer tough sides and a really hard and sharp edge. This is called san-mai, which means "three-layer'.

This is the best use for old "damascus" shotgun barrels.

If you can turn a pump into a side by side you have a lot of the skills to make a laminated blade.

If you can turn a pump into a side by side you have a lot of the skills to make a laminated blade.
That was confusing. Yes "Short Barreled Shotgun". A side by side is typically SXS or SxS.

Future SBS by Damage Photos, on Flickr

In this case, I think "SBS" is an acronym for "Short Barreled Shotgun"
As I read, "SBS" is short barell shotgun. Not side by side.
Anyway, as stated, you can end up a good letter opener. But not a knife.
You might utilise better as furniture. Example, pommel, etc.
I considered using this with some leather or the sorts. I'll keep mulling things over in my mind.

Back