Should a new knife come with a sheath ?

FWO

Should makers, and Smiths, provide a sheath for fixed blade knives as usual business ?

I think it's up to the maker personally, but I don't know of many good makers that don't offer sheaths with their knives.

In my opinion without a sheath a knife is not really finished and I will always try to provide sheaths with everything I make, but on occasion if I wanted to make a quick profit I have sold a few without sheaths. Usually they are harder to sell without a sheath.

In general I think the maker makes more money off of selling a knife and sheath package than without a sheath as well!

Yes......I mean ....not necessarily.....well, ........yes........maybe.....sometimes...

I thiink they should and I always have even for Presentation Pieces that had a Display box.
The only knives that I don't supply with a sheath are Kitchen Knives and the if the buyer wants I will make him one.

I personally prefer to have the choice and several makers have been gratious enough to accommodate. While most makers I have dealt with do vey nice sheath-work, I have sheath preferences of my own that cause me to make my own when I can. There are cases where I feel that the maker's sheath complements the knife so well that I prefer to have the "package." That's always when leather is involved. For Kydex, I just have too many personal little time-consuming, picky preferences. It probably costs me more in the long run because I may do two or three before I get exactly what I want but I don't do it to save money, I do it to get exactly what I want. That way I am much happier with the knife itself as well.

I buy many more knives than I need and I wouldn't want to pay extra for a sheath I'm not going to use. Likewise I don't want a sheath I don't like.

I used to think so but as I have gotten more knives I realize that most of the sheathes that come with the knives I buy are ones I don't like. They are usually simple taco style pouch type sheathes that while well made just don't suit me. On most of my knives I prefer pocket carry or a high ride or low ride. There are a couple of knives I have that the pouch style is OK for but for the most part I get new sheathes anyway and just use the one that came with it for storage until I get it.

my hands bother me too much to make sheaths anymore so i would rather give some business to sheathmakers.

Back