Should I be concerned with this haft?

Worldwatcher

Gold Member
I am new to higher end axes. Most of my use is with the cheap hardware store ones. I recently purchased a GB sfa off another forum and not the cleanest hung one from what I see in pictures. Should I be concerned about this in use? Dont really care about esthetics I use my tools. Thx.
FDAF8D5A-8263-4009-BDA3-D0A445B182AB.jpegABED0D9C-9572-49BE-B7D6-EAA23FBED3DF.jpeg

I am new to higher end axes. Most of my use is with the cheap hardware store ones. I recently purchased a GB sfa off another forum and not the cleanest hung one from what I see in pictures. Should I be concerned about this in use? Dont really care about esthetics I use my tools. Thx.
View attachment 1414995View attachment 1414996

Yeah I agree, nothing wrong with that. I'm kinda surprised they can put a metal wedge that large in them and sometimes not get that split. If I ever drive a metal wedge I just drive it into the wood wedge. I'm sure it doesn't have quite the effect but it always works and only destroys the wedge, instead of the handle. By the same token, I doubt that split runs very far and certainly isn't going to be getting any worse as tight as it is.

I have an SFA and a little hatchet and I'll have to check to see what they look like. Never even noticed, but I'd bet they are the same.

The videos I watched before replacing a hammer handle said to put the steel wedge in at 30 or 45 degrees. When I tried doing that, the steel wedge turned parallel to the head into the wooden wedge. I guessed that the softer wood is what caused it to turn. Left it that way instead of messing with it further.

Looked at both my GBs and both have the wedge angled across the eye instead of straight across, both have the same crack as yours. I never bothered to even look at mine so yeah I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Back