Should I be worried?

meako

Gold Member
I recently noticed this micro crack that has appeared on my Northwoods stag canoe.
20150422_161804_zpsftldotex.jpg

I purchased it last year new for my 15th anniversary-it was meant to be #15 although nothing on the knife or box confirms that. That's OK.
I haven't carried it and it resides in my collection in the lap of opulent comfort and luxury.What? You don't see it? here have a closer look(sorry bout that)
It's not the lengthways one but the tiny one that goes round the side to the pin.
20150422_161920_zpslfmbjdgz.jpg

I honestly don't believe it could have occurred from being bumped in the tackle box when being removed from the cupboard.It sits in its own compartment on a piece of t shirt material.
Could it be the antler "settling"? So where did this crack come from and is there anything I can do to stop it getting worse?

MEAKO...Thats stag for you...I suspect theres little you can do about that?...Hope you are at dawn service this weekend ?....................Fes

I think that stag is constantly on the move as it were, it changes a lot and may show fissures or minor cracks for no apparent reason.

However, it's more flexible springy stuff than bone so I think 'cracking' is less sinister. I realize this is a special piece (bummer about that lack of serial No. though...) for you, but perhaps it's trying to tell you something? Give it some use, the oils from the hand will nourish the stag and help keep it in good order, just play with it a bit....

Thanks, Will

Hm... good question - you should send it to me for inspection and the following years if it gets bigger :p ;) :foot:

Just stupid talking ... I would observate it and see if it gets bigger. Did you drop the knife on hard surfaces like stone or concrete? It could have also happen during production. If (!!) it gets bigger some very liquid super glue could stop it getting bigger. I´m no expert on this though...

Thanks .some good advice there.I know its a miniscule crack but you must understand to me it is the grand canyon.
I will carry it for a bit thanks Will.
Andi I better hang on to it and I'll post more pics to if it changes:p
Pm'd ya Fes.
cheers.

Is there no chance you missed it originally? These usually occur when they spin it or torch it. If the humidity or temperature vary enough it could cause expanse/contract to do this but I have not seen that very often. Most times it is there but only after some handling (dirt filling the tiny crack) are they visible.

That particular pin is under a lot of stress when the blades are opened and closed. It's possible that the crack was there before, but under the surface. Based on the way the crack is formed, it may not be an issue. If it ran somewhat parallel to the spring, I would be more concerned.

Is there no chance you missed it originally? These usually occur when they spin it or torch it. If the humidity or temperature vary enough it could cause expanse/contract to do this but I have not seen that very often. Most times it is there but only after some handling (dirt filling the tiny crack) are they visible.

Thats also a possibilty Mike.I was totally enraptured by it at first so not looking for faults or blemishes.I feel much better now though thanks to the positivive tesponses from everyone.

Cheers.

Back