1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Should I buy a zdp 189 delica?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by american21, Oct 15, 2013.

1. american21

american21

Sep 29, 2013
    I have 2 delica sand a endura so far with vg10 should I get this in green zdp 189? Is this limited edition is $82 a good price? Or should I get a super blue delica? Probably will be light ocational Edc use

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. SoCal_kid

SoCal_kid

Jun 11, 2013
    Keep it sharp. It's a great blade. Fits well in hand, disappears in pocket, and takes a wicked edge. I can't say that 82 is a good deal. Nor that the steel is a big enough difference to justify the extra cash. But, it's a cool green color and there is nothing wrong with variety.

3. groovatron

groovatron

Sep 12, 2013
    The zdp189 Delica is very nice......worth the extra price? Guess it depends on how much of a Delica fan you are. If it's one of your favorites, then I say go for it. $82 is a great price. I love VG10 for the standard Delica......but you pay more for the "new and exciting steel."

4. Locutus D'Borg

Locutus D'Borg

Dec 1, 2012
    I don't have the Delica but I've had very good luck with ZDP-189. I only strop it rarely, it really holds an edge.

5. american21

american21

Sep 29, 2013
    Is the zdp better is it limited time only?

6. SOLEIL

SOLEIL Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 20, 2006
    ZDP is great stuff for slicing and holding an edge. Conversely it is not as flexible as most other steels. Twisting while cutting may cause chipping. Prying is totally out of the picture. Some people have rusting problems but that has never occurred with me. It holds a great edge for a long time. I have 2 ZDP Endura 4's, PE and SE, and love them both. Took the PE down to around 20-22 degrees inclusive and it cuts great. I left the SE as is and it will cut through just about anything. I have found that ZDP is a great cutter and the more controlled your cuts are the better it performs and the longer it holds a good edge. I have snapped a Blur ZDP composite blade with very slight prying, a stupid move on my part, but that's the way ZDP is. I don't know if the ZDP Delica is a limited run.

7. Moxy

Moxy Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2011
    There was a sprint run of ZDP Delicas a while back. They have a saber grind with powder blue handles. But the British Racing Green full flat ground ZDP Delicas are full production.
    Here's mine:

[​IMG]

8. american21

american21

Sep 29, 2013
    Hey nice sg in your avatar moxy I'm thinking of getting a superblue endura maybe and a zdp delica how many super blues will be made?

9. BIG45-70

BIG45-70

Aug 29, 2010
    My ZDP-189 endura is my favourite blade to carry, it just stays sharp.