Should I buy more leather?

wildmanh

Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker
I'm down to scraps of leather big enough to maybe make some small sheaths and hatchet covers. I like working with leather and think it would be a good way to pay for my camping/gun hobbies. Am currently out of a job and looking.

So the question is, should I take some money out of savings to buy a 9-10oz shoulder and some supplies I'm low on like stains/dyes or should I hold off till I get a job. Which I might not this summer cause I'm going back to school. I do get Unemployment from the state each week which pays for food, some ammo and I even have some left over for savings. All I have is lots of time and the tools to do leather....

So what would you do?

Heber

Well when I was laid off about 6 years ago knives, sheaths and unemployment kept me going for awhile.My vote would be to buy some leather and get to work. Dave:)

I'm with Dave on this one. Even if you don't make a huge profit I'm sure you can at least make your money back. More importantly, I'm sure it will help out your psychological well being staying productive and focused. Good luck to you on the job hunt ans schooling. Take care and all the best.

-Chris

Thanks Dave and Chris! I'm getting my order together right now for Tandy. Will call them shortly about ordering the Leather, stain and dabbers that I need. :)

--Edit-- Turns out both Tandy's in Salt Lake City are closed so I'll be ordering from them tomorrow. LOL!!

Heber

Last edited:
I've found the first couple sheathes you make pay for all the leather and sipplies you need.

Only thing it doesn't cover is your time.

Do you have people lined up that are willing to order sheaths from you?...don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be a downer but if you don't have people that will start ordering sheaths from you or some way to sell your sheaths it will be very hard to turn a profit.

Personally if you are asking this question that probably means you know your money situation better than we do and you might just be looking for someone to give you the ok when you know it might be better safer to keep the money in savings...

Sorry..just trying to play the devil's advocate here..

Do you have people lined up that are willing to order sheaths from you?...don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be a downer but if you don't have people that will start ordering sheaths from you or some way to sell your sheaths it will be very hard to turn a profit.

Personally if you are asking this question that probably means you know your money situation better than we do and you might just be looking for someone to give you the ok when you know it might be better safer to keep the money in savings...

Sorry..just trying to play the devil's advocate here..

Ray, thanks for saying the other side. I actually do have some sheaths lined up. One is going out Friday and the others are just waiting for my Tandy order. So it's about time I did it. :)

Mostly I was just making sure I was as sain as I thought I was. Been feeling for a month that I should place the order or get a ride to Salt Lake City to buy the stuff. Thanks,

Heber

Sounds like a good deal then...as long as you have some people lined up to buy them you will make your money back in no time! Be careful ordering leather from Tandy online...their leather seems to me to be hit and miss. Especially if you are not going to dye it with a dark color. I have store 5 minutes from my house so it's not a problem to go and dig through the hides myself, but online there may be better sources for the actual leather. I know there was a thread a while back that had some good online sources that some pro sheathmakers use for leather.

Good luck! Let's see some pics of the sheaths when they're done!

Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes. With tools, materials, and some skill you'll do fine. Have some faith and order the materials.

buy the leather try and get yourself a reputation as a sheath maker and start from there

Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes. With tools, materials, and some skill you'll do fine. Have some faith and order the materials.

Leather and supplies were ordered Friday. Am just waiting for them to arive from Tandy in Downtown Salt Lake City. Probably Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for the support! Can't wait for it to arive so I can start working on more sheaths.

Heber

Back