Should I get a Gerber Paul knife?

I've been thinking of this one for a long time...What do you think, should I get one for about $160? That would be my most expensive knife so far, and that's what's been holding me back for so long. I know it's not much for some folks in here, but I guess I'm just getting started
wink.gif
But with this knife, it's pretty much of a "take it or leave it" -situation. The knife is of the Paul Series II, model 2. The seller said the lock is slightly bigger than that of the original. He also said that with this design, more attention has been paid to durability and lock strength. It comes with a black plastic box with red interior.

I hope this info says more to you guys than it says me. I would also like to hear any comments you have about this knife in general. Hmmmm...Why does my wallet have cold sweat all over it?

Thanks,
Jani

------------------
Two important questions in life:
Do they have a catalog?
Did you know there's a town called "Batman" in Turkey?

[This message has been edited by Jani Kemppainen (edited 19 October 1999).]

I have one from the early '80s with Cocobolo handles. It has great sentimental value for me, I carried it for years, and it's now retired, although it's still in near 100% condition.

It's a nice one hand opener, with a unique design, although a little small for my current tastes.

------------------
LD
"Every Dog Has His Day"
BFC Member Since October 2, 1998

I think they're a great little knife, a nice "gentleman's folder". I have several and carry one on occasion. $160 seems high if it has the regular black scales. You could probably pick a new one up at a gun & knife show for $90 - $120. I paid $75 for the last one I bought about a year ago.

------------------
Bill
"There's nothing friendlier than a wet dog"
"The more people I meet the more I like my dogs"

Thanks for the replies, guys. I don't know, of what material the scales are in this one. Bill, I live in Finland and don't have too many shows to go to. All-knife shows are maybe once or twice a year and they (as far as I know) concentrate mostly on Puukkos. The guy selling it is currently my only source for those knives. Decisions, decisions...

Jani

------------------
Do they have a catalog?

Jani

Silly question.....OF COURSE you should get one. Especially if you don't have one already.
We ALL need, at least, one of everything (knife-wise)
Just kidding
smile.gif

But my attitude is that ,if I can afford it without selling all my children at once, I get it.
Problem is that I have run out of children.

------------------
BrianWE
ICQ #21525343
I think :therefore, I am......I think

Jani,
It is a nice knife with a useful drop point design. The blade steel is 425M and takes a decent edge, although there is some disagreement regarding the relative merits of this steel. The dealer I bought the knife from thought highly of the steel and he had no reason to lie, as I already had my mind made up. The blade is highly polished and not prone to rust...never had any. I imagine the choice of steel was to aid in manufacture of a knife that requires high tolerances, had a good appearance, and keep the cost down in what was already an expensive knife to make.

The last I looked there was still a picture somewhere on the Gerber/Fiskars site. I believe this knife to be discontinued. A store that sold it for about $140 said they were being made (again?, still?) but they certainly have not had one for quite a while. Mine says final production run 1997.

AG Russell had them. The first and final production runs sold for more. I believe I saw them for $150, although I got mine for less.

I had the earlier model which was lighter, smaller, and had more blade wobble...possibly from my years of carrying it. I bought the newer Paul Series II, Model 2, because I was afraid of losing the one I carried so many years...since 1979 (the Paul Model 2P).

Now that you mention it, I got it out to carry for a while and put the Chris Reeve Knives, Spydercos, and Boye folders away for awhile.

The new knives are tight, to eliminate blade wobble, legal reasons, like the instructions to open with two hands?????? I gave one to my father that opened easily with one hand...only to find that he always uses two...I should have kept it and given him mine. Mine is tighter but if being used and carried does open or close fine with a squeeze on the axial lock and a flick. I saw at least one that was even tighter. You will never find a more convenient lock. I do not know of any failures, but have never really tested it to extremes and do not know anyone who has. I do dimly recall reading of someone else who found the lock OK but I do not know if they pushed it.

The only negative I could mention is that I recall cutting an orange or other juicy fruit that made it difficult to open the knife. Nothing a little rinsing with water did not cure, but thought I should mention it.

Considering that you are not in the U.S.A. and that the knife is probably discontinued, the price is probably fair, but obviously not inexpensive. When I bought my first Gerber Paul knife 20 years ago with my first or second paycheck...I had been eyeing the knife...it was expensive then. I remember in the $70 dollar range, but perhaps I am remembering the decade....suffice it to say it was more than the other knives in the store.

The standard scales on the model you mentioned are carbon fiber and nylon resin. They are tough and mine show no where despite often being carried in a pocket with my keys. Some distributors such as AG Russell had fancier custom scales (handle slabs).

I believe you would be happy with the knife, but cannot say that you would not be as happy or happier with another choice. If you find one for less, that might make up your mind, but it sounds like the one you are considering is conveniently at hand. I am happy with mine...and now that I remember I had it in my desk drawer...whew...what a relief, I'll be carrying it for a while.

A Sharpmaker 204 put a good edge on it. The edges are all thoughtfully rounded when closed so it is easy on your pocket.

Lastly, if anyone knows how to adjust the tension of the lock or the best lubicant, please let me know. I have found that generally, lighter ones work best, but the ultimate solution would probably be adjustment. Fiskars customer service is good..I wonder if they could tell me. Can you check out the knife at issue? Remember when opening it the blade never moves! You squeeze the lock and move the handle.

Good luck in your decision!
smile.gif
I saw someone sent you email, maybe they knew of a better deal. I read that the custom version, by Paul Paul W. Poehlmann, goes for about $1,000. Hmmm...shouldn't the patent on this lock have expired?

By the way here is the link to the Gerber Knives page with the Paul knife. http://www.fiskars.com/outdoors/knives/paul.html

Donald.

As Donald posted, I have an early model 2PS, that I got in the late 70's. It's a great little knife, and a lot of fun to play with. Mine also developed a little wobble, which I blame on my overuse. I do not feel the need for another one, but I also would not part with mine.

------------------
Live free and buy. It's the American way.

Does anyone else have a problem with the lock engagement? The lock on mine works great, every thing is super tight, but the smallest amount of pocket lint always finds its way into the recess around the blade shank and will prevent the lock from engaging.

I rarely carry mine for this reason.

Hint: turn you pockets inside out when you wash your pants.....
wink.gif

MNH,
Actually, on a more serious note, I do not recall that ever happening to me. If it did it was an isolated instance. Of course, if I see lint I try to blow it out or otherwise remove it. If it did happen I might have grabbed the handle and pulled down (or whatever) until it locked and then just use it carefully until I had a chance to clean it.

As I said before the only semi-complaint that I currently have is that because it is so snug it does not flip open as easily as I would like. The tolerances are so close lubricants do not seem thin enough. There is probably a way to adjust this, but I do not know how.

This might be good if someone is questioning you having the knife, but not for general use. Since tolerances are so close this varies from knife to knife. I recall someone complaining online about it being a 2 handed knife, but I almost always use one hand to flip it open or closed. Perhaps his (or hers) was tight, he had read the "safe" directions, and did not realize a good snap would work. The best part is it closes the same way.

I was once going through a security checkpoint with either my old model or the newer one and a guard looked at it, could not figure out how to open it, and passed it without comment.

In any event, I got mine really sharp using the Sharpmaker 204, and am currently carrying it (after being reminded by this thread). It is one of a handful of knives I carry in rotation. The other one is a small Sebenza or if I need it to be lighter or for around salt water a Boye Cobalt folder.

Next to an automatic, it is probably the fastest lock to operate. Note I did not just say open. To open you could flick it or otherwise open other knives, but a squeeze will open or close a Paul knife with a little flick of the wrist. Great for opening that package and quickly closing that knife.

If you are close to someone or around someone you might worry, just use two hands. Also when you first get a Paul knife it might be advisable to squeeze especially tight and practice over grass, or a rug, but not your spouses/parents/friends favorite Oriental carpet or near other valuables. That would also mean stay away from others. This would be especially true if you had a particularly stiff one which would require a stronger flick.

Donald, have the Series II, Model 2's usually been the stiff ones? I sure would like to open it with one hand. Do you really have to FLICK it, like a Spyderco Delica or similar? I don't like the idea of flicking, especially with a knife of that price. But it would be ok if it needs just a light flick.

Jani

------------------
Do they have a catalog?

Yes, the Series II, Model 2's have occasionally been adjusted tight making them a little stiff to open.

To open, you squeeze the opening button/lock with you thumb and forefinger and shake or flick or whatever you want to call it, the handle down, by twisting your wrist. You close it the same way. Remember the locking button is connected to the blade, so when you hold the button you are holding the blade. Squeeze the button and this releases the handle. You then can open it one or two handed. Since it is just a wrist twist it is not all that obvious.

See this link for the patent application and there are some pictures in the application if you click. http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?pn10=US03942249

It is a good bit of money to you, but I do not think you would be dissapointed. It is different which makes it interesting. I had my first one before there were so many one handed openers.

Can you see the one you were considering, or otherwise get some feedback? If not there is probably some more info on the web, or perhaps even a better price. I have seen the knife at knife shows, but never got any details.

Jani,
I have a Gerber/Paul Final Production Run, I bought it from A.G.Russell. It's one of my favorite knives, I don't have another knife I can open and close with one hand, and never touch the blade. After getting an education from the folks at BladeForums, I probably paid too much, but I wouldn't sell mine right now for a profit.

If you don't buy the one you mentioned, get one where you can. In fact I was thinking of getting another, with Stag scales.

Jani,
Here is a link to a page with a lot of pictures of Gerber folding knives, by a collector, including a large number of pictures of the older version of the Paul knife. I did not see any pictures of the new model, but I already posted a link to a picture of that on the official Gerber site. http://www.gerberknives.com/folding.htm

Other pages at that site have other information. The FAQ says they are NOT for sale.....but looking might help you make up your mind.

I did email Fiskars/Gerber regarding how to adjust the tension of the lock, or whatever. I did not find out how to do it, but they will adjust it for you.

A couple of quotes:
Most of our
products have a limited lifetime warranty.
Our service department requests that you send your item in to us for
inspection, with a brief note explaining the problems you are
encountering. Your Paul knife is repairable.
The general turn around time is two to three weeks.
The Paul II is discontinued, the information on the Fiskars web page is
out dated. For information on current items please see our site at www.gerberblades.com.

Hope this helps.

Donald.

I have one of the early ones, a model 2PW, with rosewood scales. It is not one of my favorite knives, for the following reasons:

First, it is rather bulky and wide through the opening fastner, measuring 0.465" in width.

Secondly, when closed, there is a 90 degree edge which sticks out of the knife; it is the tang / spine corner. This is tough on pants pockets, and I have had problems with the tang picking up pocket lint and preventing the knife from locking open.

Thirdly, it is a big knife for the blade length, measuring 3 9/16" overall, with a blade length (sharpened) of 2 1/8".

On the other hand, the snap/locking fastner does lock the knife securely, and it is in general well made, although mine has a very uneven blade grind. Walt

The new one is bulkier, but they have rounded off the corner that Walt mentions.

I had and still have the older model in plain stainless. Without the scales it was much thinner, although I guess the lock button stuck out. With some keys in my pocket I never noticed it.

My new one has the standard scales as mentioned above. The cutting edge is also longer.

Trivia: The part of the button that depresses switched from the right side to the left. I actually prefer the old way, but that may be because I got used to it over the years. Perhaps Gerber (or Paul himself) thought that the thumb would be better able to depress the button, but since you have to squeeze I am not sure that is true. I liked the way my thumb rested in the larger depression with my forefinger (pointer) pushing the button. I wonder if it can be reversed. Hmmmm...I can just see the look on the Gerber repair persons face when he reads...."the button must have been reversed...could you please put it back the way it should be....It is clearly not the correct way as on my Model 2P....Did I get a left handed model by mistake, etc....."
wink.gif

Donald,

Thanks for the house keeping tips, I'll work on my laundry techinque and report back later!
smile.gif

Seriously, mine is T I G H T. Trying to snap it open one handed would most likely have me looking for a stepladder to pull it out of the ceiling. Two hands it opens fairly smoothly.

I have had the lock fail to engage due to a particle seemingly smaller than a granule of table salt. Half of the time I can't see what is in the lock area, I just clean it out of faith, seemingly removing nothing, and it works again for a little while.

Maybe I should drop Gerber an email and ess if they would like to look at it.

Mike

Mike,
I would contact Gerber/Fiskars. They respond very quickly. First, it is so tight you are not enjoying the best feature of the knife. Second, perhaps the tightness is exacerbating the locking problems caused by lint or whatever. Further, there might actually be something wrong which is why it is so tight. It the alternative, perhaps it is so tight it is making it difficult for some internal part to function. I have not pored over the pictures of the lock to figure it out, but I did post the link above.

Walt, does report having had a problem with the older model (see above). I have never had any significant problem with either. If I did have a problem, once or so, I must have been able to take care of it by pulling the handle down or just a quick blow because I do not recall any trouble with locking. Of course my recollection is not quite as good as I would like.
frown.gif

I do recall one instance where I got a lot of fruit juice in the old model and it made it difficult to open until I rinsed it. I imagine I was out somewhere.....although I should claim that it was a rust resistance test.
wink.gif
The knife passed with flying colors.

Donald, I can't get to handle the knife before I buy it, but the person selling it is a high-position Fiskars employee and promised me that warranty issues aren't going to be a problem. I'm currently waiting for his reply on my question about whether or not the knife is a "stiff one".

Jani

------------------
Do they have a catalog?

Back