should I get a Sharpmaker?

If you're happy with stones, a SharpMaker really isn't going to do anything for you that you're not already doing. A SharpMaker is, IMO, for people who haven't figured out how to freehand yet.

I agree with aquaman67. If you've mastered freehand sharpening, you really don't need a Sharpmaker.

Pull-through sharpeners are the devil's right hand.
They can get you into trouble but they can't get you out.

You're doing fine without them.

[video=youtube;CKN631r8-4s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKN631r8-4s[/video]

Pull-through sharpeners do not give you the fine control of a stone and the carbide pull-throughs are way too coarse and will rip up a blade unless you are very careful. Not good for a fine knife edge.

I can't freehand sharpen at all, but not only for that reason I like the sharpmaker. It is fairly quick, easy to pack in a bag for on the road. I don't use my sharpmaker all that much anymore but I certainly wouldn't be without it. Yes I think you should get a sharpmaker for sure, they are fairly cheap and very useful

You can learn a lot from using a sharpmaker, but I went back to freehand a month later and my sharpmaker has been in a drawer for years.

I freehand sharpend like my dad taught me and am pretty good at it. Bought a sharpmaker a couple of years ago and, God forbid, I hated it!!:eek: . So in my humble opinion spend that $50 elsewhere.

I freehand....but I like the sharpmaker. Real good once the knives bevels are reprofiled so that the 40 degree inclusive will hit the edge. Very fast and easy to touchup an edge. Freehand is good...and so is the sharpmaker. Both have their place and use.

I have a Sharpmaker and the diamond rod set to go with it. I end up using the rods a lot laying on the bench, freehand. But for the price, I think it's a handy, useful tool that is easy to take along to wherever you might need it. With the newer "supersteel" knives, a couple of quick passes on one of the ceramic rods and then a bit of stropping brings the blade up to shaving sharp in no time, with no mess. I always recommend it to friends who aren't quite up to the consistent freehand sharpening ability yet.

Stay sharp,
desmobob

I've been using old school whetstones for many years. Finally thinking about getting a Sharpmaker to keep my squad of backpacking knives ready to go. Good use of my money, or is there something better? Should I just stick to my old whetstones?

I'm also kind of curious about Smith's Adjustable Angle Pull-Thru Knife Sharpener. I know that seems like a cheat, but it says it goes to 14 degrees. Anybody ever use that one?

I was where you were at and was much happier once I had the Sharpmaker. I was good at freehand but could not possibly hold the angles the sharpmaker does. The Sharpmaker is a nice neat small portable package that can be used for sharpening anything with an edge, and it really puts an edge on your EDC folders.

Here is a lesson #1 of 4 by Sal Glesser, Pres and Owner of Spyderco that may be of some value.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB0r6GvESGg

If you find that it isn't your cup of tea you can easily sell it on BF for about what you paid for it.

I can get my knives fairly sharp even the harder steels. That said I've been contemplating the same thing as I'm lazy. I just want sharp knives and would love to whip out a box like the Lansky turnbox or a Sharpmaker go swoosh swoosh and be done with it without having to deal with controlling angles etc...etc...

I have a Sharp Maker and I find I continue to use it overtime even after I got a Wicked Edge. At first I used it every time I sharpened a knife. Now I use mostly the ultra fine stones for touch ups before stropping. Overall I think the Sharp Maker is easy to use, does a good job and is cost effective. Might not be as satisfactory to use for some but a great solution for many.

Back