should i take it apart?

i have a minigrip that hasn't as nice and smooth opening as it once had.
after it spent 1-2 months under the pillows in my couch, with dust, coins and other crap that falls out of my pockets when i'm taking a nap.

is it a bad idea to take it apart(thinking especially about the axis lock)?
thanks.

Loosen the pivot screw, wash the pivot area with warm soapy water, rinse, blow dry and give it a little bit of lube. Then see how it works for you. No need to take apart. If you do take apart be sure to have a # 6 and #10 torx driver.

Go for it! Especially if the action is getting rough and you know there is stuff inside of the pivot area. It simple, just make sure you take your time and keep everything together. I recommend spreading a towel out and taking it apart on that. It makes the pieces easy to spot and keeps them from rolling onto the floor.

If you do decide to take it apart, I would leave the axis lock assembly alone and just remove the blade and washers from pivot, clean and reassemble.
But as stated, there are easier steps that can be taken.

i have a minigrip that hasn't as nice and smooth opening as it once had.
after it spent 1-2 months under the pillows in my couch, with dust, coins and other crap that falls out of my pockets when i'm taking a nap.

is it a bad idea to take it apart(thinking especially about the axis lock)?
thanks.

I would just rinse it under some lukewarm/soapy water, and put a light drop of oil in the pivot/axis area. It will save you the time and energy.

:grumpy:

so i disassembled all the parts and cleaned them with a tooth brush, which went easily.
assembling the axis lock was piece of cake.
but aligning scales, liners, blade, washers and pivot screw is impossible, you need at least 3-4 arms to do it.

the mini grip is now in a zip lock bag in a drawer, and the esee izula-2 is sharpened and ready for edc duty tomorrow.

so i disassembled all the parts and cleaned them with a tooth brush, which went easily.
but aligning scales, liners, blade, washers and pivot screw is impossible, you need at least 3-4 arms to do it.

the mini grip is now in a zip lock bag in a drawer, and the esee izula-2 is sharpened and ready for edc duty tomorrow.

That was quick! I suggest you to search you-tube: I can not believe it is as difficult as you describe it. I did it to Rukus a few years ago to better align the blade: I do not remember any difficulty whatsoever! Watch a video: if done correctly it does not require any special coordination or anything!

If its the same as the full size griptilian then it should be an easy fix.

It's not difficult and can be done with two hands.
Here's how you do it.
1. Take the Axis bar and feed it through both liners be sure that the blade stop goes in the other liner.
2. Install the springs. This will give you liners that are held together by the axis lock system.
3. Install the handle scale where the pivot goes in. Only put one screw in to hold the handle and liner.
4. Sandwhich the blade and washers (lubed) inside and push the Pivot through. Keeping one handle off will help a lot with alignment while keeping one handle screwed in will help keep parts from flying out.
5. Once the pivot goes through attach the other handle scale and screw back into place.

If you find it too difficult contact Benchmade and see if they can assemble it for you for a cost. You definitely don't want to force anything.

If for some freakish reason Benchmade says no, you can contact me and I can clean lube and put it back together for you.

the liners will nest inside the scales, so that takes care of itself.
As for getting the blade and washers in there and lined up for the pivot screw, there's a trick that hasn't been mentioned yet:
The pivot has a flat side that must be lined up correctly. Once this is done, pull back on the Axis lock slightly to release tension on the blade as you use a finger to wiggle the pivot in halfway. Once it is partly inserted, use one of your Torx drivers to maneuver the remaining washer out of the way of the pivot. This will enable the pivot to slide all the way in.

Generally, taking a knife apart because it's dirty isn't necessary and I would leave the Axis mechanism alone. Soak the thing in CitraSolv and hot water, touroughly dry (hair dryer on LOW) and maybe lube the pivot washers is all.

Oh yeah - one additional trick in removing the blade, if required, is take a toothpick and snap it in half. Take either side of it and once the Axis bar is drawn back pop it through the opening and release the bar. That should be enough to hold the springs in check and makes it easier. Otherwise, you really DO have to use all four hands!

You'll need to prop the Axis lock open. Trying to align the washers and blade in there otherwise is extremely difficult. I've found using a Q-tip stem works well.

1. Re-assemble the liners w/ the Axis lock and omega springs and stop pin all in place
2. Put the back handle scale back on
3. Pull the Axis lock back (like you would to disengage the lock), and use a Q-tip stem to hold it open (see pic below). A toothpick can work too, but the thicker stem of the Q-tip pushes the Axis lock further out of the way
4. Align the pivot tube with the notch in the liner
5. Put one washer in, and nudge the pivot tube in enough to hold it in place.
6. Put the blade in (in the same position as if it were open), and then push the pivot tube through enough to hold the blade in place.
7. Slide the second washer into the gap between the blade and liner. A toothpick can be useful here to slide it around to align it with the pivot tube.
8. Put the front handle scale back on
9. Put the pivot screw back in, and remove the Q-tip

BM556_Qtip_800x412.jpg

Back