should I take the chance?

Local store has a sale on Les Stroud's Camillus knives. I'm giving serious consideration to spending a whopping $25 on the folder just to see first hand what I think of this knife regarding steel and overall quality. The folder is the only one that I might really use often enough to justify buying.

It is within the price range of the knives I usually buy but I wonder if I am too jaded or even a knife snob because it is 440 and considered by many to be a "gimmick" knife.

I don't buy anything remotely expensive but own some pretty satisfying knives under the $30 price point. Just received a Mora 2000 and CRKT minimalist bowie and wonder if the Camillus would be "backsliding"...LOL. Will let you know what I think of it if I do buy one tomorrow.

You should get it. And if it turns out that you don't like it you can always sell it or trade it :)

If you like Les or Survivorman (or hate Bear and his ripoff show ;)), get it. It's not very expensive, and regardless of everything it is or isn't, it'll still be a knife.

Sounds like you want one. Go for it, its only $25 and it doesn't buy much gas or food these days.

I'd get a RAT-1 with the money.

5769319640_7050ce5144.jpg

It's prettier, too.

Last edited:
Any knife that has someone's name on, you have to realize that is worked into the price.

For a 25 dollar knife, I would guess 5-10 bucks is going to Les Stroud. Good for him, but you are paying 25 bucks for what would normally be priced at 15-20 dollars.

Any knife that has someone's name on, you have to realize that is worked into the price.

For a 25 dollar knife, I would guess 5-10 bucks is going to Les Stroud. Good for him, but you are paying 25 bucks for what would normally be priced at 15-20 dollars.

I seriously doubt he's getting 20% of the cost in royalties. Probably more like 1-5%.

I seriously doubt he's getting 20% of the cost in royalties. Probably more like 1-5%.

You are right, allow me to rephrase.

You might be paying 5-10 bucks EXTRA because his name is on it. Part would go to him and part would go to the company as a premium

Back