Should I upgrade to a 940-1 from a 940-2?

Peakbagger46

Gold Member
I’ve had a 940-2 for about a year. I like it a lot and it gets carried a bunch. The one thing I don’t like is how the G10 scales flex when force is put on the blade.

Is the carbon fiber 940-1 more rigid than my 940-2? I guess I could always trade for an original 940, but I don’t really like the idea of scratching the scales during use.

I would recommend a knife with full liners or titanium or steel scales rather than another 940. Sure the cf is more stiff but they both still have partial liners and your far too hard on these lighter use knives if your flexing the g10.

I have a 940-1501 (G10) as well as a 940-1 (CF). I can't tell a difference in scale stiffness, as I have never used either knife so hard as to flex the scales--and I don't baby them or anything. I would guess the CF is stiffer--I know it's a little lighter and that's the main difference to me between the two knives 2.4 oz vs 2.6 oz).

I have a 940-1501 (G10) as well as a 940-1 (CF). I can't tell a difference in scale stiffness, as I have never used either knife so hard as to flex the scales--and I don't baby them or anything. I would guess the CF is stiffer--I know it's a little lighter and that's the main difference to me between the two knives 2.4 oz vs 2.6 oz).

I too own the 940-1501, 940-1 as well as a 940. And I agree with Evany. With all three (3) getting their fair share of pocket time, here’s my 2-cents:
  • The aluminum scales on the 940 get cold when outdoors during the winter months. They make a little tin noise, or blade rattle sound when opening & closing. Not terrible, but definitely different than the G10 & CF scales.
  • While not a 940-2, the 940-1501 G10 scales IMHO feel the same. That said, I do notice a subtle flex when compared with the 940 and 940-1, but nothing that would make me sell the knife. (The C20V is amazing.)
  • The 940-1 CF feels more solid to me when compared to both of the above models. It just feels perfect, but I prefer the C20V over the S90V blade. It makes me want to buy the 940DLC-1802 by SMKW!

Another option is to contact one of the members that does custom scales and order a pair with a back strap. Maybe one of them might be able to make a back strap alone for your 940-2. The only downside would be losing the open pillar design for cleaning.

I have the 940-1501 and 940-1 models they are both very nice. I really love carbon fiber that said I slightly perfer the 1501 model as mine is just smoother action wise plus I like the CPM 20v blade a touch better overall.

I've had 940, 940-1, 940-2, 940-1501. G10 scales on 940-2 are in my experience a little less rigid than the 940-1501. They are slightly different designs and the 940-2 lacks some g10 near the blade end. Its my opinion this compromises the rigidity a little. Its not a big difference though. The 940-1 is a little more rigid in my experience. If you really like the knife other than that I would try one to see if you notice a difference. Plus s90v holds an edge a lot longer. As long as you don't over pay you should be able to resale for not much loss if any.

Another option is to contact one of the members that does custom scales and order a pair with a back strap. Maybe one of them might be able to make a back strap alone for your 940-2. The only downside would be losing the open pillar design for cleaning.
DOAT makes back spacers that fit the 940-2 factory handles. I don't think that will make much difference and will probably be about the same cost as buying a 940-1 and selling your 940-2.

I don't know what the price difference is in the States, but up here a 940-1 is $348 and the 940-2 is $220. So for me, for a hundred and thirty bucks less, I can put up with negligible flexing.

I have both the 940-1, and 940-2, and have never noticed any flexing. Maybe it's time for a ZT? :)

DOAT makes back spacers that fit the 940-2 factory handles. I don't think that will make much difference and will probably be about the same cost as buying a 940-1 and selling your 940-2.

I have two 94x scales with back spacers from DOAT and they feel more rigid than my 940-2 scales... which are now waiting for a blacked out 943 serrated blade... Plus they are not mass produced like the 940-1.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I may either look around at the exchange for a used one or try to find a law enforcement discount. Also considering the backspacer.

I have two 94x scales with back spacers from DOAT and they feel more rigid than my 940-2 scales... which are now waiting for a blacked out 943 serrated blade... Plus they are not mass produced like the 940-1.

What do you mean by the 940-1 scales being mass produced?

I think he has a page here in the Knifemaker section. Also, you probably know this and no insult is intended, but DOAT = Death of All Things, which might help here and with Google if you were just searching on DOAT.

I think he has a page here in the Knifemaker section. Also, you probably know this and no insult is intended, but DOAT = Death of All Things, which might help here and with Google if you were just searching on DOAT.

Well, I did not know that, thank you!

What do you mean by the 940-1 scales being mass produced?

They are made/offered by the factory. Custom scales can be very unique. If you like to tinker with your knives, or if your tastes often stray from the pack, custom scales are a fun option.

There's nothing wrong with factory options though, and factory options are covered by their warranty.

Back