Should I use my BK29 or Squirrel it.

Tanker 1/66

Gold Member
I just got my Bk29 today. What would ya'll do? Beat it like a 4 or 9 or keep it new as part of your retirement portfolio.

Use it!

Cuz then *my* BK29 'Safe Queen' becomes even that more valuable! ;)

Yea I'm starting to get a pile of safe queens, I justify my obsession to the little lady by telling her these are investments lol

Last edited:
It's an investment in your happiness. So use it.

The 20 is on my list also. Its been a rough winter and I have alot of blowdowns and large branches that need some attention. Id like to do a little impromptu chop off. I just need to get over my beat on a pristine blade shyness. Right now I just instinctively grab the 4 for Viney things or the 9 for bigger stuff.

Use it. I have my doubts that this will ever be a decent investment. Let's say you spend $200 on the package. Assuming $100 is invested in this particular blade. You hold onto it for many years to come. You'll probably sell it nib for MAYBE $300. And that's being optimistic. Did you make money? Sure. But not enough imo to justify not enjoying something for years of your life.

Plus God forbid something happens to you, you wouldn't want someone else breaking in your brand new toy!

I bought 2 BK20s, with the intent of having a backup in case the first one had issues; 6 months later I was selling it off to someone in need of one because I had used my other BK20 so thoroughly I realized I'd never break it through normal activity and thus a backup was unnecessary.

Safe queens are cool for someone who wants to collect every Becker out there, otherwise it seems irresponsible to own a Becker like the BK29 and *not* use it with abandon, unless you have another Becker that takes up all the potential use you might have for it. I had 3 BK5s and haven't used one of them, just because I've either used the 9 or the 20 for all relevant task the 5 would have done. I don't think the BK29 has a usurper of its duties unless you already have a user BK20.

To al the "investment" knife guys, Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0mRLcGbU8

Then go look at a compund interest calculator @ 12% and put that same $100.00 or so in that he paid for the watch. The results will surprise you.

Knives are crappy investments [/Spolier]

Moral of the story - use it or sell it. Collecting does you no good from an investment standpoint :)

I usually buy two, one to use and one to pass on to the kids. The truth of it is, I want a backup in case I fall in love and then break it.

Use it. I have my doubts that this will ever be a decent investment. Let's say you spend $200 on the package. Assuming $100 is invested in this particular blade. You hold onto it for many years to come. You'll probably sell it nib for MAYBE $300. And that's being optimistic. Did you make money? Sure. But not enough imo to justify not enjoying something for years of your life.

Plus God forbid something happens to you, you wouldn't want someone else breaking in your brand new toy!
Yeah, but just for the sake of conversation let's say I spend $400 for two Bk 20's (that includes two BK-5's & two BK-4's) a year ago. I almost immediately sell off the BK-5's and the BK-4's for $50 each. Now I'm only into the two BK-20 for $200.
Now one year later I could pretty easily sell the BK-20 I haven't been beating the piss out of for $200 making the one I've been using essentially free.

I use this rationale and that of my previous post pretty regularly. The fact is. I'm a slut.

Thanks for all the replies everybody. I've been on the road the last couple of days. I'm going to give the Mighty 29 some character. And make big lumber into small lumber with it.

Yeah, but just for the sake of conversation let's say I spend $400 for two Bk 20's (that includes two BK-5's & two BK-4's) a year ago. I almost immediately sell off the BK-5's and the BK-4's for $50 each. Now I'm only into the two BK-20 for $200.
Now one year later I could pretty easily sell the BK-20 I haven't been beating the piss out of for $200 making the one I've been using essentially free.

I use this rationale and that of my previous post pretty regularly. The fact is. I'm a slut.

Technically, we used the same analogy. Only my analogy was better, because you made an extra hundred bucks:thumbup:;)

Back