Shoulder Harness

Hey all,

You guys have a lot more experience with JSP stuff than I do, and I need a bit of advice.

I'm looking for a shoulder rig that will carry a radio, cuffs, knife, spare mags, etc. Pretty much everything except a pistol as regs here require that the sidearm be on a belt holster.

Which items should I be ordering from JSP Blade Rigger? It's a little tough to tell how a double sided rig will ride. I was thinking about a V-stat bag under each arm.

Any other suggestions? Would it be possible to have a custom radio pouch made?

This is for a friend of mine that is working plainclothes 90% of the time.

Thanks,

Steve

I carry a v-stat all the time i balance it witha Szabo manhataxe, i think you could fit everything in the bag if the radio is not to big i put cell phone in mine plus other gear and it is hard to tell i have anything on...
Try to to get a Exuclite harness though they fit better. IMO
brad

Handcuffs, 2 spare magazines, knife, small MultiTool, SureFire Flashlight, a very small Microlight of some type for reading and whatnot, possibly two of them, one red and one white, surgical gloves (say 2 or 3 pair) and a Trau-Medic Dressing should fit between two of those bags.

Now, the radio, that is the magic question, the full sized Motorola, etc., forget it. If they have more covert rigs, it is not going to be a problem at all.

The "knife" is another question, Folder or Fixed-B? That can go several different ways as well. If he can carry an FB legally, there are many different ways that you could go and I would suggest getting something like a Bud Nealy Y2K or Pesh Kabz for the smoothness of the draw and extreme lightweight.

I made a very simple elastic sleeve for one Forumite, and I sewed on a matching sleeve of velcro around it. I then "hot-knifed" two holes through the material and these were the holes that mated with Nealy's Kydex Sheath, the sleeve slipped over the Kydex snugly and the holes were aligned with the holes in the sheath and then the two-piece Chicago Screws were put back in place. This was then stuck to the outside velcro of James' Bags and then a strap with velcro on that was placed over that one to further secure it.

A folder? Limitless options there as well, up to and including possibly modifying Emerson's "Under the shoulder Folder Holder" to where that could be used with a rig like this.

The whole thing, as described, should not weight that much.

The radio is the sticking point, if we were discussing a very small Nextel, Cell, Motorola Talkabout or Kenwood FreeTalk, that would be something else entirely.

Steve, I have to take about 4 pictures for you of the way you attach the SureFire and other things to these bags and I think you will find that most interesting indeed, and several of the various small pockets, etc.

Thanks guys.

The radio is one of the mid sized ericssons for a digital trunk system. I don't have the model # in front of me, but it's not as large as the standard Motorola. Probably about twice as large as the Talkabout.

The knife will be a folder for him, and probably a fixed for me when I decide to get one of these setups.

How well do the straps distribute the weight?

Are the tie downs standard with the bags?

My buddy even wanted to carry his 21" ASP on the rig too. I informed him that, that may be pushing it a little.

Would love to see the pics if you get a chance, Don. No rush.

Steve

Yeah, the tie downs are velcro'd to the Bags so you can move them to suit you. They attach to your pants, etc., by a suspender clip.

The bags are covered in velcro and the straps and all attachments stay in place well too.

I think on the issue of weight, you have 2 loaded magazines, depending on high capacity magazines and whatnot and if we basically don't put the radio in with this rig, you could distribute the weight evenly. Basically, the magazines are going on one side and the cuffs on the other, then the SureFire if chosen, on the handcuff side.

Tell your Buddy to buy an Airweight ASP, then it is a go. You can use the other flashlight attachment that goes on the exterior of the bag for an ASP.

In other words, you buy two bags, you are going to get two of the velcro/elastic jobs for the flashlight. You use one for the light and one for the ASP.

[This message has been edited by Don Rearic (edited 01-09-2001).]

Thanks Don. I'll pass the info along.

Looks like I'm going to be hooked on Blade Rigger stuff as well.

He has some of the best tactical stuff out there.

[This message has been edited by steve22595 (edited 01-09-2001).]

Here is an ASP F-26 Baton, I would not try to pack one of these large batons this way, but it is the one that was handy.

You would just rip the whole rig right off of the pouch, since the piece that attaches it to the bag is only velcro and elastic, it is not going to interfere with your grip on the baton. If he uses a 21-inch [steel] ASP Baton, he might be able to carry it. If he uses the Airweights in 21 inch length or shorter, I don't think there would be any problem. Here is a pic, remember, this ASP is huge compared to the others:

View

And here is the Mighty SureFire 9P, that is a SureFire Lanyard from Laser Products and not a part of the JSP attachments supplied. Again, you would simply rip the whole attachment off of the rig.

View

Thanks for the pics, Don.

Issue baton here is 21" ASP. Should work fine.

I also carry a sure-fire 6Z which looks like a go as well. (I don't know what my buddy has for illumination)

Thanks again for the help, and the extra effort. You are going to ruin my budget at this rate
smile.gif

Steve

I think it will be a go with an F-21, and not only that, I personally think that is the best size Baton anyway. The F-26 handles like a clunker compared to the F-21. It is substantially heavier.

You see the elastic/velcro attachment on the light and the baton. Remember, only one per bag unless you request another one.

They are pretty neat, if you level the weight out, you should be fine. You can pack alot of stuff in there. The Trau-Medic dressing is really a must. Could save a life, car accident vics or your own. A little pressure goes a long way and two of them would take up about the size of a pack of smokes.

Often times, we concentrate so much on the elimination of a threat without fully taking into consideration that if we get hit, or we get in an accident or happen upon one, something like a Trau-Medic dressing will go along way.

I have read whole Thread/Topics with dozens of people chiming in on what folder they would use to cut someone's seat belt, or their own, in the event of an accident. You hardly ever see it written about throwing a couple of these Battle Dressings in the Glove Compartment.

Nor is there much serious discussion on how to save your own ass if you are bleeding out from a wound. I think I can say something serious in here because of low heckler and troll visitation to this Forum, but alot of Police Officers carry a box of Feminine Pads or Tampons. What are they designed to do?

People can giggle in less serious Forums, but I view this Forum and a precious few others as truly survival related. If you get slashed good, and that is what you have, you can laugh about it in the Recovery Room.

Might seem funny to some of the kiddies at Bladeforums, but "tampon" comes from "tamponade."

Pretty wild for a discussion on JSP Bags, huh?

[This message has been edited by Don Rearic (edited 01-10-2001).]

Back