Shoulder Surgery

Anyone here ever have shoulder surgery? I had a labral tear repair on my right shoulder done a couple of weeks ago, along with some bone spurs removed and a cyst drained. Thought I was a head of the game and making progress but it's killing me tonight. No sleep tonight...

Major rotator cuff repair on my dominant arm couple years ago. 8 weeks in the sling. Nine anchors. Long rehab. Is perfect now. Be diligent in your physical therapy.

I'm starting PT next week. Pretty determined to get after it. Sounds like you really went through a rough time. I'll be diligent, thanks man!

My wife had the same labral surgery and has had no complications and her shoulder is now 110%. You will go through times of frustration and despair but keep your progress in the front of your mind. Always remember how bad things WERE x number of days/weeks ago and you'll realize how far you've come. Set goals but be gentle with yourself and your body WILL recover!

Keep us posted and brag about your progress. It helps to broadcast your condition and keeps your mood even.

Zieg

Have my third on the same shoulder scheduled for December. First two were in 2016 on back to back weeks because of problems they had during the first one... military doctors

It'll get better. Best advice I have is keep doing your physical therapy regularly once you start and stretch as much as your doctors say is ok. Make sure you're hitting your chest, bicep, back, and neck as well; mine got tight from being in the sling and took longer to recover than the shoulder (due to me ignoring them).

Have my third on the same shoulder scheduled for December. First two were in 2016 on back to back weeks because of problems they had during the first one... military doctors

It'll get better. Best advice I have is keep doing your physical therapy regularly once you start and stretch as much as your doctors say is ok. Make sure you're hitting your chest, bicep, back, and neck as well; mine got tight from being in the sling and took longer to recover than the shoulder (due to me ignoring them).
Will do man. Hope your next one is your last one and all goes well.

Good evening friends. I have not had shoulder injuries requiring surgery, however I have learned a number of physiotherapy exercises for injured shoulders. If you have the go ahead from your doctor to perform rehabilitative exercises, the following movements are greatly restorative to the soft tissues of your shoulders when done progressively over time.:

Windmills
Hindu Pushups
And a special drill that a kung fu student I used to know showed me which I will have to video to explain. I wish I knew the name. But I am a strong believer in movement as medicine, and despite a fairly serious injury to my knee a couple decades ago, and one to my foot a decade after that, and then my neck, and then my back, I have never relied on surgery or western medicine to "fix" myself, but only movement and the sweet and tender instruction of pain (and just enough to not reinjure!).

That being said, I don't think most of these injuries involved broken bones - except maybe the foot, and I don't know about the knee. I slammed it pretty hard - like really hard - into an I-beam. Maybe I thought I was spiderman in my younger days... :oops: And the foot, I had just showed off for some friend jumping over a large outcropping in the parking lot, but landed hard with a flat foot. I think I hobbled around on a broken toe for about a year.

Anyway, Windmills, Hindu Pushups, and I'll get that other one to you shortly. And the windmill, since most people have never done it, will (believe it or not) often bring instant relief to some types of shoulder defects.

Thank you David! Sorry I did not respond earlier. I'm in Alabama and we've been without power for the past couple of days. I'll be trying the exercises you posted as soon as I'm clear.

My wife had the same labral surgery and has had no complications and her shoulder is now 110%. You will go through times of frustration and despair but keep your progress in the front of your mind. Always remember how bad things WERE x number of days/weeks ago and you'll realize how far you've come. Set goals but be gentle with yourself and your body WILL recover!

Keep us posted and brag about your progress. It helps to broadcast your condition and keeps your mood even.

Zieg
Will do! Thanks!

Farrier 45 years, 8 orthopedic surgeries. Both thumb joints replaced, both elbows, shoulder, knee, two trigger finger surgeries.
I worked for years after these surgeries and they held up, took abuse, and remained pain free. Retired from shoeing now, but stay busy around the ranch. My knee does bother me some, that’s the only one I’m careful with, and the only weight bearing one. Probably need a knee replacement down the road.
After each surgery, things got worse before they got better.
Hang in there, do your exercises. You’ll be fine.
Depending on your age, figure about 4 months to get back to regular activity, and about a year to feel really good.

Farrier 45 years, 8 orthopedic surgeries. Both thumb joints replaced, both elbows, shoulder, knee, two trigger finger surgeries.
I worked for years after these surgeries and they held up, took abuse, and remained pain free. Retired from shoeing now, but stay busy around the ranch. My knee does bother me some, that’s the only one I’m careful with, and the only weight bearing one. Probably need a knee replacement down the road.
After each surgery, things got worse before they got better.
Hang in there, do your exercises. You’ll be fine.
Depending on your age, figure about 4 months to get back to regular activity, and about a year to feel really good.

Man you have been through it for sure. I hope you're enjoying your retirement.

I have had both left and right Labrum surgeries. Got the right done when i was 21 and the left when I was 23. I am 31 now and both are holding up. Needed them done from kayaking injuries. Lots of shoulder dislocations and many were violent ones. PT is a serious thing. I didn't take it that way as I was younger. I wish I had been more diligent with it. Mine hurt a bit when the rain is coming. Only upside to that is I know when the kayaking is going to be good!

Good luck!

I have had both left and right Labrum surgeries. Got the right done when i was 21 and the left when I was 23. I am 31 now and both are holding up. Needed them done from kayaking injuries. Lots of shoulder dislocations and many were violent ones. PT is a serious thing. I didn't take it that way as I was younger. I wish I had been more diligent with it. Mine hurt a bit when the rain is coming. Only upside to that is I know when the kayaking is going to be good!

Good luck!
Currently finishing my first PT session. Getting ived and shocked (electro massage?) So far I'm progressing.

Currently finishing my first PT session. Getting ived and shocked (electro massage?) So far I'm progressing.
Best wishes, feel better buddy! I had several motorcycle and car accidents, injured plenty of body parts, except for shoulders :) Surgery and recovery are never easy! Physical therapy definitely works but it takes time and commitment. Stretching helps a lot!!!

Rotator cuff, AC recession, AC tendon repair, bone spurs removed and mini open. Respect the signals your body sends you. Go to physical therapy and stretch daily. Don't over due it. You have a huge chance of injury in the first 2 years of recovery after that it drops very low. My surgery helped me a lot.

Back