Shoutout to USA and Hinderer

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by tony281sc2, Jun 12, 2020.

1. tony281sc2

tony281sc2

Feb 13, 2017
    just received my first Hinderer model, a 3.5" Eklipse Tanto, in an awesome shade of orange G-10. I cant describe how much I love this knife. If ZTs are Overbuilt then Hinderers are made for the apocalypse lol....seriously though, best knife ive ever owned, and with that's goin on in the world right now, I cant believe how quick the shipping was. don't think ill buy a quality knife from anyone else again, thank you USA made blades for everything. next up, maybe a 3.0 xm18 tanto.

ps...anyone know of a good place to get that Hinderer-specific tool to change/clean the bearings?

Makael likes this.
  2. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Congrats on your new toy Tony!

Hinderererers are out of my personal price range but I've looked at many of them over the years. Whitty at USAmadeblades has a great rep on this forum. Glad you had a great experience.

I have no suggestions on the tool. I'm not familiar with it.

Maybe drop another post here.
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/scott-usamadeblade.1680694/

Makael likes this.
  3. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    I do have the Hinderer tool and personally, instead of getting one of this, I do suggest to get a set of Wiha screwdrivers if you do have it(something like 75992), it could service so many different brands of knives, including Hinderer(in fact, I think their crew use Wiha for assembly in the shop too) but at roughly half the price. The main pivot could be loosen with a large flathead, and if you are worried about scratching anything, you could electric tape the flathead before placing it on the pivot.

4. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    Any spanner bit #10 will do the job.

sliceofaloha, BigKurtHaze and Makael like this.
  5. Knives&Lint

Knives&Lint

May 10, 2013
    I highly suggest Wiha as well.

Upon recently receiving my second Hinderer (Jurassic) and a micarta scale I was surprised to find out about the tool/hardware issue when I went to swap the scale. After researching here, I found the general consensus was that the tool was not worth it and instead it made more sense to pick up a spanner bit. Impatient as I am, I wanted to swap the scale immediately, so reading further I found some other options. The end of the lever bar from fingernail clippers, which comes off easily, fits the span perfectly and worked like a charm. It may seem odd, but it got me up and running without a wait.

6. Julian Williams

Julian Williams

Apr 22, 2019
    Glad you like your Hinderer purchase. Recently got my first and love it too! I'd also like to know some alternatives to the Hinderer armorer's tool. Did a scale and hardware swap, and it was a bear to get the pivot loose due to how little torque you can get with the thing and I assume due to some locktite from the factory.

7. MacLaren1

MacLaren1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2014
    DLT TRADING has the Hinderer tool last I looked

tony281sc2 likes this.
  8. Mistman68

Mistman68 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2019
    What, no tactical pennies :p

I just notch a penny w/a dremel, cheap and works great. I have a few in my kit.

Owen K. likes this.
  9. ferider

ferider Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2018
    This is what I use these days; never fails:

[​IMG]

10. BigKurtHaze

BigKurtHaze

Aug 2, 2015
    I hope they didn’t put the stop pin in backwards! :eek:

KCDR and Therom like this.
  11. Julian Williams

Julian Williams

Apr 22, 2019
    That looks a lot easier to use, I'll have to pick one up! Thanks!

12. Stairway

Stairway

Apr 16, 2020
    I also picked up my one and only Hinderer from USAMB as well. No complaints with them, or the knife!

tony281sc2 likes this.
  13. MacLaren1

May 15, 2014
    Guys, what type and size bit do I need to screw in the lock bar screw?
    Mine had fallen out and I just got it in the mail today from Hinderer. I sure would appreciate the info

14. MacLaren1

May 15, 2014
    Does 0.50 hex sound right?

15. MacLaren1

May 15, 2014
    Lol, I actually found one and got it screwed in snug