Show us your homemade survival Sheaths, or mods

Hi All,

Hope you're well.
There are awesome Sheath makers..but with awesomeness, there is typically a cost associated :)...so I 'd love to see the W&SS sheaths you have made, or modded to make what serves you best.

An extremely gracious Friend on the forum, found out I had a little financial difficulty a few months back, and had to sell much of my collection..and I was "chopperless"..so he sent me a brand spanking new Rodent 9...wow, what an awesome and efficient chopper!!! (plan to post a review on it in a few days, Lord willing)..it had no sheath..and I could not afford to buy what I wanted, so I took the opportunity to make my first Sheath from scratch out of some leather I had received in trade, really made me appreciate the exquisite work of the professionals, but I am very pleased for how it suits my needs for the woods.
Also have added about 20ft of 160lb bankline to it, since these pics, and hopefully will get them up tomorrow..Thank you W&SS members, most of the ideas implemented on this, came from seeing yours through the years, and discussions for what you like best for the woods..can't wait to see yours!!!

2012-08-25143531.jpg

2012-08-25143548.jpg

2012-08-27183754.jpg

2012-08-27183935.jpg

2012-08-28195138-1.jpg

nasty, the OP asked for "homemade" stuff and I guess yours qualifies but what really jumped out at me was the fire steel attachement on your rig. I never considered a hard mount but this makes perfect sense. cant loose it (even better than with elastic band holddown) and a bigger handle to boot. I might borrow this technique but will remember to give you the asterick/footnote recognition! Afraid my skillset leans toward cardboard and duct tape.

Guys..wow..those are tough..

Nasty, can you give us some tips on how to bend the Ky?..that is sooooooooo sweet?

Sharpguy, we'll be ticked if you don't show us how you do with the "evolution"..:)

Schmit..how did you do the pouch for your stone??? :confused: I could not for the life of me, figure out how to add one without forming the pouch by guessework..held me up for a few days before I finally just gave up for now...please, do tell.
Btw..that Fiddleback is bad to the bone, does it cut as well as it looks?
Those liners on the handles are so cool looking :cool:.

The Fiddleback is quite outstanding. Mr Roy puts quite an edge on them as well. She is hair poppin sharp!

125D938C-0335-4512-B36A-0ACC406A94FB-1841-0000024C408B8D23.jpg

For the pouch, I wet molded and clamped it around a sharpening stone, one the size I wanted. I do not use the stone with this kit though. I made a mini strop just for this setup. The pouch is far from perfect, but useable.

Thanks Barrabas...standard kydex directions...get it to 350 or so, let it set until soft, fold it around the knife, clamp it down between foam.

The interesting part to me was figuring out how to attach my minimum kit to it.

I've done a couple different ones this way.

I don't have these skills at all! I'd like to learn though... And Barrabas, I'm commissioning you for a sheath if I get a knife like that: it's awesome!

I don't have these skills at all! I'd like to learn though...

Rocky, check out the step by step tutorial on a pouch sheath by Beebe Knives..http://beebeknives.com/html/make_a_sheath_tutorial.html.
It's what I used as a foundation, and was awesome..click on each picture corresponding with the phase of work, and it expands to more detail..if you want to give it a try, let me know, and I can hook you up with the same leather used on the one I made :thumbup:.

Thanks for the compliment by the way..I like the sound of that..commissioned..:D tGif!!!!

I made this for my kuka bolo from Tops knives. I have yet to take it out but she is a real brute.

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

About 12 years ago, I had everything in my cart to make kydex sheaths. All the equipment and supplies.

Then a sword and axe set caught my eye. I blew my money on that instead.

Finally got some leather and a few cheap tools.

IMAG0528.jpg

IMAG0529.jpg

IMG_4082.jpg

101064908_photobucket_86022_.jpg

I don't know if I would call them "survival" sheaths. But they do keep the edges from cutting me. I also have BB sheaths for most.

IMG_3621.jpg

IMG_3623.jpg

IMG_3613.jpg

IMG_3612.jpg

IMG_3608.jpg

Last edited:
That's a nice looking set up Gregorio, pain putting those loops in huh? Looks very secure.

Big..dude! I remember seeing that pic with your shoulder rig a while back, and it made me want to take the plunge!! Cool set up.

That's a nice looking set up Gregorio, pain putting those loops in huh? Looks very secure.

Big..dude! I remember seeing that pic with your shoulder rig a while back, and it made me want to take the plunge!! Cool set up.

Thanks Barrabas. That's some nice work bigfatty on that kukri sheath.

Originally Posted by Barrabas

Thanks Barrabas. That's some nice work bigfatty on that kukri sheath.

Was thinkin' the same thing..looks like they get better the more he makes. :thumbup:.

I class these as Bushcraft sheaths more so than Survival sheaths but I could wrap a bunch of string around them and change the name.;)
[video=youtube;b3JHU9SgISo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3JHU9SgISo[/video]

[video=youtube;6nSrkpPNno4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nSrkpPNno4&feature=relmfu[/video]

Here's a sheath I made for my Wohlwend Bushcrafter with an EESE pouch & contents.

0dda644a.jpg

And for my JK Hudson Bay XL I used inner tube bands to hold the gear on & wrapped it all with paracord.

cdc08ac2.jpg

Here's my BK2 sheath I put together last year-ish.

5700819345_8b299af1c9_b.jpg

Drop leg setup with thigh strap.

In the box is a firesteel (.5"x5") some firestraws, a piece of fatwood, some water purification tabs, a lighter, a knife lanyard, stormproof matches. Had room for more but that was what was in it at that point.

5543821574_4c74523c11_b.jpg

The strappy belt part was modified to hold a fresnel lens, ez lap diamond sharpening card, and a plastic card with some ground to air signals on it that I had printed up. Behind the sheath proper is a holder for the allen wrench needed for the handle scales. And there was also a BK14 attached to the back for small knife work.

Back