Show your sharpening gear!

Wow! You have a lot of sharpening gear! Way more than I do.
Here is my Spyderco Sharpmaker; I don’t think that they make this particular style any longer but it works very well.
cVg09Hc.jpg

These are my Spyderco Benchstones. From the bottom it is: medium, fine and ultra-fine.
vEFlF92.jpg

Here is a photo of the stropping blocks that I tossed together. Not very pretty but they seem to work.
mJ5R1Nh.jpg

Not very impressive but they get the job done, at least they do for me.

Last edited:
Here's some of my most frequently used Japanese waterstones and few misc other items.
I have at least this many additional water stones (less frequently used), plus strops, oil stones, pocket stones, and alot of other misc gear that is not pictured.
I don't have any of the guided systems, although I am looking into getting something of that type. The Sharpmaker is mainly used for touchups on my smaller folders.
IMG_1336.jpeg

Here's some of my most frequently used Japanese waterstones and few misc other items.
I have at least this many additional water stones (less frequently used), plus strops, oil stones, pocket stones, and alot of other misc gear that is not pictured.
I don't have any of the guided systems, although I am looking into getting something of that type. The Sharpmaker is mainly used for touchups on my smaller folders.
View attachment 1706957
The Green Brick of Joy! How do you like it?

The Green Brick of Joy! How do you like it?
In my pictures above the green stone in the water bath is the Green Brick of Joy after about a million uses. I didn't use it much until I started to sharpen a lot of kitchen knives but found that it is great on basic carbon and stainless steels found on outdoor knives. I think it pairs best with a 400 grit Naniwa Chosera stone, the Chosera stones is a smooth grinder so its no problem for the 2k to finish it off and the resulting edge is always very keen and aggressive. Struggles heavily on hard steels and is pointless on PM steels, but is my go-to for softer steels.

I've only used the Green Brick for kitchen knives. The 2k Green Brick is somewhat of an anomaly in that it starts off cutting like a 1000 and as the mud builds it polishes like a 3000. I agree with Jason above that it's great at following a 400 Chocera, or similar. I think it works best with somewhat harder stainless steels. I most recently used it on a couple of VG10 Gyutos and it gave them a fantastic 12 degree edge that measured under 200 on the Bess scale.

3D Anvil…..YOWZA!! Can I just send a couple your way to sharpen? The pitiful Lansky kit I have doesn’t belong in the same room with your bench!

Wow! You have a lot of sharpening gear! Way more than I do.
Here is my Spyderco Sharpmaker; I don’t think that they make this particular style any longer but it works very well.
w7OuwP7.jpg

These are my Spyderco Benchstones. From the left it is: medium, fine and ultra-fine.
crqBMcq.jpg

Here is a photo of the stropping blocks that I tossed together. Not very pretty but they seem to work.
xxjaRHn.jpg

Not very impressive but they get the job done, at least they do for me.
Looks great. I have a spyderco medium benchstone and a fine benchstone in the mail. I understand them being ceramic will limit me on what steel I will probably be able to use them on to great effect though I figure they will be great micro beveling and maintenance stones. What steels have you found them to be effective on even just for some small touch ups?

9kFGBx8.jpg

On top are diamonds, ceramics, a few combo Arks, and a few home brewed strops charged with various abrasives.

In the middle are natural stones from China, Belgium, and Japan.

On the bottom are Arkansas stones, soft, hard, black, and translucent.

2hLqQrC.jpg

Here we see a variety of Japanese and a few U.S. water stones, two loaded Wicked Edge systems, lapping stones, raw material for strops, and various maintenance items.

I don't use the water stones any more. Natural stones with water just feel more romantic, they are less messy, and they require little maintenance. If the steel is too hard for natural stones, good diamond plates are great for heavy lifting, after which ceramic or even natural stones for polishing. Stropping on diamond-charged leather, or the German red and black compounds. I usually need a nap afterwards.

Last edited:
9kFGBx8.jpg

On top are diamonds, ceramics, a few combo Arks, and a few home brewed strops charged with various abrasives.

In the middle are natural stones from China, Belgium, and Japan.

On the bottom are Arkansas stones, soft, hard, black, and translucent.

2hLqQrC.jpg

Here we see a variety of Japanese and a few U.S. water stones, two loaded Wicked Sharp systems, lapping stones, raw material for strops, and various maintenance items.

I don't use the water stones any more. Natural stones with water just feel more romantic, they are less messy, and they require little maintenance. If the steel is too hard for natural stones, good diamond plates are great for heavy lifting, after which ceramic or even natural stones for polishing. Stropping on diamond-charged leather, or the German red and black compounds. I usually need a nap afterwards.
Wow, great stone collection! Now you need to get a couple bonded diamond stones. Since I got the Venev 240/400 and 800/1200 I hardly want to use anything else.

I love the naturals, 3D! Makes me feel like a man, sharpening steel on a real stone, that some tough sons-of-guns cut out of the ground. I've got a few very fine Arks and Japanese stones that are like polishing on a cloud, smooth as could be. Since I went on a D2 kick, they don't get much use!

I got sets of Atomas and DMT's, and once I learned I could finish up with something finer, I was pretty well on board. Once broken in they are fine, just not as much fun as the Japanese stones from an undersea quarry! You must have to be a man and a half to quarry stone from under the sea. Doesn't have much to do with sharpening, but it is fun to think about it!

Last edited:
Back