Sifu...........Any Good?

sevenedges

BANNED
For those of you Sifu owners out there, how do you like them? Are they too big for everyday carry? Do they have a strong locking mech..ect. I would guess it would need to be quite strong due to the fact that the blade is so large. Thanks, Jeff

There's a current review over on the Commonsense self defense forum, and a whole pile of commentary on the REKAT forum.

Upshot: really, REALLY good knife. It carries well despite it's size. My review and some pics are on my site: http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/blades.html

The people that like it the most are those that can legally carry it for defensive purposes. In Calif and TX, we can legally conceal it. In some other states it's open-carry-required, in others it can be concealed if you have a CCW gun carry permit (AZ, FL, maybe one or two more). It's too big for many states. If you had put your location in your profile, I could advise you on your legal situation or tell you how to find out.

There's many people here who consider it the absolute best fighting folder made today, myself included. Those who have been dissatisfied with it's size have been those interested in utility first and foremost. Us "defensive packers" are willing to make accomidations for it's size because there's simply nothing better available at any price. In my opinion, only the Ryan Biohazard gives it any competition and that's a $400+ handmade.

Jim

To Jim March: I appreciate your comments on the Sifu. I admit, I had a chance to purchase one, and I declined. With firearms, there's an old adage, "In a gunfight, the best thing to have with you is a gun." This is a sarcastic way of saying two things; one, all of the windmill fuel you hear over calibers is nonsense, and two, the best gun in the world won't help you if it's at home in a drawer. For the Sifu, I couldn't see it as my 'daily carry,' and if I started leaving it at home, all of those good design elements would not help me. And while my LCC is almost two inches shorter, I don't see that as a major disadvantage at contact distances with a snap cut. Further, I truly believe that if I knew danger was eminent and I needed a Sifu, I'd carry a shotgun--or not go there at all. This is not a criticism of your safety choice, but an alternative point of view.--OKG

I don't have one, but I have handled a couple. It is a really well made and solid knife. But it's big. And I mean Really Big.

I could not see carrying one, and I think that would probably be illegal just about everywhere except California. But it's super cool, absolutely politically incorrect, and would probably make mincemeat of any bad guys who did not lose control of their bowels before scampering away scared for their lives if you drew a SIFU on them and snapped it open...

Paracelsus

Thanks guys, Jim I do happen to live in California.

So I can carry one concealed. I don't really care about size (meaning I'll carry it as long as it is not to very painfull.)

It's not too expensive so I'll give it a try. Besides I hardly ever regret spending money on KNIVES!!
biggrin.gif
as long as I give it some thought first, and I have. Thanks, Jeff

Three months ago I purchased a Sifu also. I love this knife. I did some light customizing on it (beveling the G-10 scales more, putting serrations on the the handle and also, sharpening it more). I like very sharp knives and I like to put a scary, scary edge on my defensive folders. The utility edge goes on my utility folder.

I don't find this knife to be that big, but I also have no problems concealing my full size HK USP in .45 ACP in Califorina summers. Yes, it is one of daily carry blades. The others ( I always carry 3 at a minumum) a Benchmade 940, and a steel handled Spyderco Harpy.

OKG, I understand completely. My personal situation is that I can't get a CCW permit, and having sued my Sheriff over exactly that, I have to stay 100% scrupulously legal in regards weapons laws.

The Sifu is the best daily carry defensive weapon available to me, and I'm damned glad it's available.

The people who are committed to carrying it for defense universally praise it to the high heavens.

Jim

If the Sifu is too big buy a Carnivor. The Sifu is the perfect size for defense. The extra reach gives you the advantage over a LCC. Size does matter. With 2 equally trained knife fighter, the one with the Sifu will win.

I could only afford to buy one knife. I
chose the Sifu. I live in California.

The Sifu "rides" clipped in the right-rear
pocket of my jeans. I don't even notice it
is there.

It is heavy, weighing in at over a half
pound. But, I also carry a hickory cane
that is much heavier.

Ray

To Rogue_Spear: I think you put your finger on it with "two equal knife fighters." I believe that most attackers do not want equal footing, and will drive home an assault with either greater numbers or an attack from the rear. In this case, the 'brain' is the really big weapon. I've never seen a duel; I've never seen a bouncer weigh both drunks, and measure their weaponry and award a 'handicap.' I have been the victim of an attempted mugging, two rookie teenagers with a hockey stick against one suburban old guy jogger--who they didn't know was a former motorcycle club member. There is even an argument for 'weaponry doesn't matter at all.' I am more impressed by the quality of workmanship in a Sifu than size alone. Think about this: a Gurkha Kukhri is traditionally made from the worn out leaf springs of cars and trucks, but it is bigger and heavier than a Sifu. Is the Sifu now the second best weapon?--OKG

Originally posted by Old Knife Guy:
To Rogue_Spear: I think you put your finger on it with "two equal knife fighters." I believe that most attackers do not want equal footing, and will drive home an assault with either greater numbers or an attack from the rear. In this case, the 'brain' is the really big weapon. I've never seen a duel; I've never seen a bouncer weigh both drunks, and measure their weaponry and award a 'handicap.' I have been the victim of an attempted mugging, two rookie teenagers with a hockey stick against one suburban old guy jogger--who they didn't know was a former motorcycle club member. There is even an argument for 'weaponry doesn't matter at all.' I am more impressed by the quality of workmanship in a Sifu than size alone. Think about this: a Gurkha Kukhri is traditionally made from the worn out leaf springs of cars and trucks, but it is bigger and heavier than a Sifu. Is the Sifu now the second best weapon?--OKG

OKG,

I'm not really sure what your overall message in this response was to Rogue_Spear, as I found it a bit vague.

First, I agree there are many variables which determine the outcome of combat. Amongst them are combinations of: skill, strategy, strength (not just physical, but sheer number, weaponry), weather/terrain, and even luck.

However, I agree with Rogue_Spear that two extra inches in the blade PLUS two+ inches in the handle are a critical factor as it gives you a significant range and reach advantage over an LCC. Reach/range is an acknowledged factor in combat forms from boxing, to warfare (i.e. Which would you want in a long-range fight? A M-16, or an MP5K?).

Another advantage is that the Sifu is more intimidating in looks. It is argued that you shouldn't reveal your knife in a knife fight. However, I believe if I'm outnumbered and cornered (eg all things ARE NOT equal), I would reveal the knife like a rattlesnake shaking it's rattle. A message as to say, "first guy to attack me is going to get shanked". Don't show the knife, and they will all pounce on you anyway. Intimidation is going to be better with a big knife, over a small one.

As for "never take a knife to a gun-fight". Well, that's common sense if you know you're going to a gunfight. Unfortunately, most of so-called "good guys" become targets of attacks when we are going through normal activities in the day; like you jogging. It's unlikely that the "average person" is going to be packing a gun. In addition, there are much higher legal repercussions with carrying a gun. Therefore, for most of us, the knife is the closest we have to a defensive-weapon we can carry everyday.

It really depends on your situation. For me, living in Canada, there are incredibly stiff firearm laws. As a law-abiding citizen, I'm not going to carry a concealed firearm. In addition, there's a better chance that a mugger, or street thug, will NOT have a firearm either. I'm not denying that we don't have problems with criminals with illegal firearms. We do. However there are much less firearms out there in the city amongst street level punks/thieves than a comparable American city. For me, a Sifu makes sense.

Almost every Khukuri is a much more effective weapon than a Sifu. Only the very worst no-edge Indian crapola is less effective, or some sort of miniature. Every HI or GH 12" or more overall length Khukuri is a whole world ahead of the Sifu viewed on purely functional (versus legal or socially acceptable) terms.

Several of us feel that the Sifu is the best "fighting FOLDER" made today, myself included. But it's still a folder; I carry it throughout the week because under Calif law, I can legally conceal it and therefore not freak anyone out at the office.

It's still a compromise, but the best compromise available. I don't want to live with it as primary defense forever, hence my current Federal court lawsuit against my Sheriff re: CCW permit corruption/bias/illegality. Until that's over, I have to stay legal.

On the weekend, I carry a 9.5" blade length FB (open carry as required by law) that's capable of "Khukuri-class damage". The Sifu then becomes backup.

We're not blind to it's limitations.

However, in addition to it's size, the lockwork is a generation ahead of that LCC; if I was forced to stay with a 4" or shorter folder by law, I'd carry a Carnivore (or more likely, Pocket Hobbit if double-edge was legal, Carny if not) over the LCC any day of the week.

Jim

Hehehe, Salamander has asked a great question....

Dunno if Jim is going to want to display his weapon too soon.

Since I already know the answer, and telling is rightly up to Jim's discretion, all I will say is 'Be Afraid, Be very Afraid'.

Paracelsus, still giggling about the phrase "Khukuri-class damage"
biggrin.gif

outscan3.jpg

This sick pup is my own design, "The Outsider", built by Harald Moeller after we exchanged blueprints and plexiglas/putty-epoxy mockups. A key goal was to get major "smashing ability" with a shorter blade length than the typical khukuri and less overall weight. The first thing I did with it was cleave a coconut right down the middle
smile.gif

Jim

Originally posted by Broken Arrow:
I did some light customizing on it (beveling the G-10 scales more, putting serrations on the the handle and also, sharpening it more).

So, I assume the beveling had to do with the sharp finger cut outs - where, how and why did you put serrations on the handle? Got pics?

Always nice to see the Outsider make an outing
wink.gif

Kallisti

Ok, so when do we get to see a production version of the "Outsider?"
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Jeez that thing's scary ...

------------------
Sometimes I get the idea that everything is ulterior ...

Damn, I just about dropped a load looking at the picture. I sure as h*ll wouldn't want to have that thing pulled on me!
smile.gif
Nice knife Jim!
cool.gif

The Sifu is an excellent knife. The locking mechanism is very strong and the recurve blade cuts like crazy. If you are looking for a big, high quality folder you can't go wrong with the Sifu.

Are those bottle openers on the sides, or are they for, uh, the ripping of flesh?

Back