SIFU folds up!

I just got a D2 sifu and love it. Except that a light thump on the spine folds the knife up. Like dropping it from about 3 inches. Is this something I can easily remedy w/ some polishing or should I just send it back to rekat?
scot

If your Sifu is brand-new, send it BACK! Both of my Sifus (Sifi?) lock-up tightly...like a fixed-blade knife!.
smile.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
<A HREF="mailto:glockman99@hotmail.com
glockman99@yahoo.com">glockman99@hotmail.com
glockman99@yahoo.com</A>
ICQ# 53675663

I noticed on my new one that there was a small black deposit stuck (probably scale material) on the exposed part (when closed) of the blade that contacts the lock up pin.

While mine locked up fine, it locked up perfectly when I removed the desposit using a dental tool.

I agree with the others though, send it back, REKAT has a good rep for service issues.

------------------
Malcolm
------------------------
"Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean; who is neither tarnished nor afraid. "
Raymond Chandler

My Sifu is rock solid when it locks open! Send it back, REKAT will take care of you and your knife!

------------------
A Pat on the Back is only a few inches from a Kick in the Butt.

[This message has been edited by Easyrider (edited 06-29-2001).]

I had the same problem with a Sifu. I sent it back to Bob and he fixed it and sent it out the day he received it. Locks up like a tank now and I have had no more problems with it. If the place you bought it from has a return policy, I would take it back there and get a good one from them. If they do not have a return policy, send it to Bob. He will take care of it. NOT TO WORRY - it is a great knife, backed with great customer service.

The only bad thing is that you might have to buy another knife while it's gone to help ease the pain!:p

Yet another quality control problem. I am sick of hearing about sifu problems. I had to return mine due to a faulty rolling lock. This sucks.

i admit, there does seem to be QC probs w/SIFU - oh they always make em right, but why not make em right from the get go?? i think that because of the big blade inertia is hard on the rolling lock, just mho, no info to say that - just think though if i'm right - the 18" wakatan would have an unacceptable MRBF ratio - the rate between failure - if its bad on the SIFU, must be horrible on the wakatan - maybe thats why they dont make em?? like i said all conjecture on my part, any info from REKAT appreciated.....and like i said, just my .02 worth from what i've seen on this forum, and my experience w/my SIFU which failed to lock, i dont flick it open anymore, 'cept for limited practice ......no scientific basis at all, just my thoughts on the matter

sifu

When my Sifu was brand new it too had a few problems. I had barely used it at all, I unlocked the lock and it would not lock open again. Ever. I had never done even one inertia opening. The blade also was not very well centered and rubbed a bit. I sent it back to Bob Brothers, and he returned it pronto and it has been perfect in every way since.

I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the blade. I think its a small company with some QC issues. I mean Bob is not making each by hand. Though mine now seems like it. Somebody besides him is letting the ball drop. Its not the end of the world. And there is ONLY 1 SIFU!!!!!!!!! and its awesome and any extra work to have a perfect one is worth the wait. I just hope REKAT can stay in business in what is a super competitive industry. I live in a large urban area, and most knives are sold in gun shops, there was one bricks and mortar knife store but it went under. There are a couple of "adventure" and camping gear type stores as well that handle knives, and there is not one REKAT product among them. They are all bought online or at shows around here, by people that "know". I should eventually buy a second SIFU just to put away. I think it is the most awesome factory folder of the new millennium. If more people saw them, they would sell. Just for the "Oh... MY.... GOD!!!" factor when showing friends, if nothing else.

i agree they are worth the wait but i bet some people when they fail, just throw them in a drawer and dont buy REKAT again - and in my area too there are no shops that handle REKAT - there is 1 guy w/the saxet gun show who sometimes has 1 or 2 - that was the first time i saw a SIFU - but yes i agree they area a small company and the sifu is worth the extra probs to me anyway - i think they need to come up w/something radically new, like when they came out w/the SIFU - no offense, but other than SIFU, nothing else really grabs me, kinda like the carny cub, but some, though excellent knives, arent the prettiest things to behold (ie pioneer) and a lot of people not really 'into' knives which is probably the great majority of purchasers, buy a knife at least 75% on the basis of looks alone - look at all the POS knives people buy at gunshows, and incredibly, are HAPPY with - they dont need a hard use knife i guess - but really think REKAT neads something new/different, imho anyway, something to catch the eye of buyers who might need a better knife than a $10 POS gunshow knife, who might be interested in BM,CRKT,Spyderco or a REKAT, but like the looks of the others better than the pioneer, etc - although the REKAT knife is a much better made knife they dont even consider it, if they even have ever heard of REKAT, which NONE of my buds had - all into hunting/fishing seldf defense, etc and while BM and Spydie and Emersdon were familiar, not 1 had ever seen or heard of REKAT - i dont know i just thinkk they are missing the boat in marketing - just my rambling .02 worth, would really hate to see them go out...

sifu

Back