Sifu Questions

Bob--A few questions about the Sifu. First, in the pictures I've seen, it appears the pocket clip is for tip-up carry. Is tip-up considered better for some reason? Can I get the clip arranged for tip-down carry? Also, is there a sheath that Rekat makes, so I don't need a pocket clip at all? I love this knife, I just want to make sure I get it with the right options.

Tip-up is considered a faster draw, especially if you're a fan of reverse-grip styles (which Bob Taylor most certainly is).

The Sifu works very well in both forward and reverse.

An interesting factor here is that a reverse-grip snapopen is more reliable than a forward-grip snap. And since you don't know what range the assailant will be at when he begins the festivities, starting with a reverse-grip certainly has it's upside. What I mean is, if for some reason the baddie manages to get right close in your face and starts some sort of grapple routine, a reverse-grip knife is considered by many to be more useful than a forward grip. If the guy is a distance away and threatening you, doing a fast reverse-grip snapopen that's nice and clean is likely to make him think twice, otherwise if there's time you can do a rotation or just fight in the reverse.

Having said all that, I'm personally a forward-grip proponent, who prefers a "stay on the outside" approach. So I run clipless, with a homebrew sheath patterned after a typical 1911A1 holster, set up to do an initial draw into a forward grip. That's because I'm big, somewhat slow but have good reach - I don't want to "get inside and play fast" like a Bob Taylor would do from a reverse grip.

The Sifu can be used with either basic gameplan. The plan needs to be integrated with the initial draw and presentation.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim March (edited 07-02-2000).]

So this is a purely defensive knife? If I want to buy it for utility purposes, am I making a big mistake?

It's a great utility knife. One weird aspect of the necessarily large grip is that you can "choke back" on it to do chopping, something unheard of in most folder's vocabulary. Plus the lock is good enough for chopping! The grip shape is very flexible and you're not locked into "combat holds" at all.

However, it IS on the large side for daily carry, for some people. Most of the people who do carry it daily are doing so because it's an enormous leap forward in folder combat capabilities. The sole real downside for utility is that it's a SCARY lookin' booger
smile.gif
and some utility-use people don't want quite that much freak-out value
smile.gif

The few people who were unsatisfied with the first runs of Sifus were "utility buyers" who didn't feel the need to pack something so large. They found ready resale markets, mind you, especially that first batch of handgrounds.

The D2 Sifus in particular will be truly GREAT utility knives. But understand, this baby was concieved of as the ultimate "streetfighter" available under California's overall strict weapons laws but loose-in-folders rules.

Jim

Put it this way: a match-grade AR15 in basic black sans pearls with a 75rd drum mag makes a fine backwoods squirrel gun, but you're gonna get some funny looks from fellow wilderness travelers.

smile.gif

In terms of combat folders, the Sifu is about as "warpaint and scream" as they come
smile.gif

Me, I think that's a GOOD thing
biggrin.gif

Jim

Jim, thanks, you've been a big help.

The size and the freak-out value are what I LOVE about this knife. I want a utility folder that's useful for self-defense as well, if necessary. Problem was, there wasn't anything big enough for my liking. The Cold Steel Vaquero Grande maybe, but it's a real pain to resharpen. I wouldn't even put these two in the same league, though.

Bottom line--size and scariness are a definite plus! I can't wait for the D-2 versions to come out!

Gator

No problem. I just want everyone buying this beastie to understand just what you're getting. It's not for *all* tastes but it's a damn fine piece
smile.gif

Jim

I have a Sifu coming and will be sending it off for a custom sheath when it arrives.I will have to remove the clip for the sheath. I'm assuming I will need shorter screws to fill the clip screw holes. Does anybody know where i can get them? Just trying to get this out of the way ahead of time. There's no hope locally. thanks, Bruce

Originally posted by Jim March:
Tip-up is considered a faster draw, especially if you're a fan of reverse-grip styles (which Bob Taylor most certainly is)......

Jim, I was just reading your post, partially quoted above, and had some questions. For the reverse snap open that you speak of, is this best done (by a right handed person) with a folder set up for left hand. For example... my righty 730 rides in my right front pocket with the clip on the right side of the handles (looking at it with the blade open, facing the floor, tip pointed away from me). So, to grab is and execute at reverse grip flip, I have to do sort of a weird contortion, that slows me down a lot. That is the reason I ask the question. For this opening to work quickly and efficiently, doesn't the clip need to be set up for the conventional left hand carry, but carried in the right pocket (for a right handed person, that is)?

TIA.

------------------
iktomi

Let me second the comments about the SIFU's quality. I was particularly impressed with the few carbon fiber models we got in last week. These knives are as good in the fit and finish department as they are in the utility department. A true value in anybody's book. Take care.

------------------
Fred
Knife Outlet
http://www.knifeoutlet.com

Rockspyder: after looking at LOTS of various pics online if the Sifu clip, I think you're right.

Hmmm. (scratches head). I still say the best answer is to ditch the clip, and rig up a simple kydex holster customized to YOUR type of draw and biomechanics.

Jim

DOH! Bummer, I thought I was going to learn a new way of lightening fast openings! Oh well, back to practicing the right clip, right hand technique. If I practice it a bit, I can speed it up. Might have to toy with the concealex, though.

------------------
iktomi

Hi everyone, I been wanting a SIFU soooo bad after the first time i've seen it. But i heard and read some comments about the rattling of the blade and some problem w/ the lock, that's what prevented me of getting one. I have a pocket hobbit and the lock have some problems, sometimes the blade fails to lock at all, u have to pull down the button then release it to lock the blade. Do most of the new REKATs suffer this kind of problem? What kind of warranty does REKAT have? I really need some opinion here, if the blade rattling/lock problem isn't anything big, i'll certainly order it today. Thank u so much for ur help.

SharpEdge, I think REKAT's fit and finish has greatly improved in the last few years. My Sifu is nearly flawless; one of the smoothest and best fitted folding knives I've ever seen.

Back