Simon

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody here has acquired a Simon and what are your impressions of it. I have handled it at Walmart but was not sure I should get it. Also a question for the moderator: why Simon as a model name? Thanks,

S.

I have handled one and thought it
felt very delicate. The lock failed
with not much pressure, especially
as the knife was twisted in the hand.
Just not enough metal to make a safe
knife in my opinion.

-Rebus

I wonder if it was designed by the same dude who designed the Avatar, Navitool, i-QUIP and - presumably - all of those "knives" you can buy on the Home Shopping Network? :barf: on the whole lot of 'em. :grumpy:

I handled one at a local shop and found it difficult to open ( one-handed ), because of its kinda small. It was easier, the more I messed with it, though. Not sure of the origin of the name. take care, Rob19

I think it's called Simon because it is a simple design. Simple Simon.

I have one and I think it needs a bit more work before it's ready for primetime. Lock is not very reassuring and it collects rust spots. Maybe the lock should be a strong detent-ball and not the flimsy "frame-lock" it has now?
-SB

Simon is probably Schrades hottest new knife. Simon comes from Simple
simon-its a very simple knife to use, and helps simplify people's everyday lives because its carabiner type device allows quick and easy attachment and detachmnet from key chain, back pack , fishing vest,etc. Its the perfect knife for travel, for use around the house, for cutting boxes or tape at the office,etc.

I thought the Schrade Simon looked neat, but I was quickly dissapointed when I handled them. I checked out 7 Simons at a local Walmart and every single one had too much blade play and the thin flimsy lockbar offers the user no security at all. I've then come across them at local knife shops here and there, and their all the same. It's a very nice design and far better looking than the Avatar, but I think the powers that be at Schrade should really consider adding a washer between the blade and the frame (or a thicker one, if it even has one) to reduce the side wobble and thicken the lockbar to offer a reliable lockup.

Back