Simple Question

Could someone please tell me what a recurve is. This has been driving me nuts for some time now. Is it a modification or blade style or a grind or what. Anybody got a picture of one. Thanks

a recurved blade is what apogee in the above link has.
it makes a more efficient slicing blade.
i have a Benchmade 710 which has a slight recurve.
when you slice something with a recurved blade, you have an initial cut, and as you draw the blade accross, the changing angle of the blade edge sort of bites more into whatever you're cutting.
kinda hard to imagine exactly how it works, but if you had a recurved blade to work with you would understand.
hope i helped...correct or add to what i've said if any of you have more input.

------------------
~Fumbler
the crazied knife weilding Sarah McLachlan fan =)

i forgot...a recurved blade is a description of the blade shape, not grind type.
if you took a ruler and placed it flat against the edge, the bottom of the blade would touch the ruler, then there would be part of the blade that curves away from the ruler, then it curves back towards, and would make contact with the ruler again, then sweep up to the tip away from the ruler....uhh...hehe, i must sound confusing...ohh well...

------------------
~Fumbler

Fumbler, I get your point very well. Thanks. And thanks for the pic Brandon. P.S. My wife and I think Sarahs cool to. If you like her, check out October Project(now disbanded). They'll blow you away.

I always thought a recurve was a type of Bow. They have three types Long bow, Recurve, and Compound. This most likely has nothing to do with what you have in mind, but that is the only term that I know of that uses the word recurve.

------------------
us_marine_corps_md_clr.gif
BC... For those who fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know... Semper Fi

well, yes. a recurve bow has the same basic shape type as a recurve blade. just picture it starting in the middle, and going out to one end. the name could stand for any item with the same shape: re-curved.

they are curved once, and then recurved in the opposite direction. like a stretched out "s"

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oneslowbird:
Fumbler, I get your point very well. Thanks. And thanks for the pic Brandon. P.S. My wife and I think Sarahs cool to. If you like her, check out October Project(now disbanded). They'll blow you away.</font>

WOOHOO!! people who like sarah mclachlan and knives! it doesn't get any better than this. yeah i'll check out october project.

------------------
~Fumbler

Recurves,

Plus: More edge length per given blade length than more traditional knives. Also, the angle of curved blade reduces the amount of surface that comes into contact with the material, hence somewhat more efficient at hacking and skinning.

Negatives: Harder to make and more difficult to sharpen. Not as easy to control when you are pushing the blade to effect a cut i.e. for whittling.

Back