Single bevel snafu

Ote

So, just FYI.. I received a nice piece of raindrop damascus and decided to make a kitchen chopper, 4" blade grind project. Did just that, all went just as planned.. turned out really nice for a first timer, however.... I did decide to make it a single bevel design DOH!! several hours spent sharpening and refining the edge to wicked sharp, cucumber slices you can see thru.. hashes thru celery like its not even there.. the DOH part.. is that the knife has a habit of "turning" as it goes thru whatever I am cutting (damn), cut starts out thin, ends up thick.. in order to get a consistent thickness on whatever is being cut I have to keep pressure on the "non beveled" side of the blade with my thumb. Fortunately, I have enough steel remaining to make a 5", we will adjust said snafu on this attempt. Keep it real, the edge on your steel..

Steering is just a part of the behavior of a single bevel knife. A lot of Japanese traditional kitchen knives are single bevel. They tend to be single purpose: deba for filleting fish, yanagiba for slicing to portion the fillet (like for sushi), usaba for precise vegetable cuts like paper thin katsuramuki (slicing daikon radish, cucumber, other stuff into paper thin sheets). The single bevel edges tend to be more fragile because the angle is very narrow, and as you notice, the geometry causes steering.

Also, not sure if you know that there is usually a hollow on the backside of the blade called the urasuki, which allows for proper sharpening.

Last edited:
I know now.. truly appreciate the transfer of knowledge.. I have a good mental picture of the forces generating the "steering" it was however an unexpected result. I know have another avenue of research to travel. Thank you.

So, just FYI.. I received a nice piece of raindrop damascus and decided to make a kitchen chopper, 4" blade grind project. Did just that, all went just as planned.. turned out really nice for a first timer, however.... I did decide to make it a single bevel design DOH!! several hours spent sharpening and refining the edge to wicked sharp, cucumber slices you can see thru.. hashes thru celery like its not even there.. the DOH part.. is that the knife has a habit of "turning" as it goes thru whatever I am cutting (damn), cut starts out thin, ends up thick.. in order to get a consistent thickness on whatever is being cut I have to keep pressure on the "non beveled" side of the blade with my thumb. Fortunately, I have enough steel remaining to make a 5", we will adjust said snafu on this attempt. Keep it real, the edge on your steel..
How you sharpen edge ? Both side or just from beveled side ? I have make several kitchen knife with single hollow grind and they cut straight............but AFTER i sharpen edge from both side .............
https://bladeforums.com/threads/my-first-try-to-grind-less-sticking-kitchen-knife.1649084/

Natlek, I regularly sharpen my wifes hair shears, they have the hollow grind as milkbaby stated. Stones are brought across the blade in a trailing edge manner (flat bevel shears) and raise the burr, last procedure is to separate the blades and close the shears, pinch the blades together and open, this removes the burr. Any imperfection in the edge is very noticeable. So, to answer your question I used the same mindset and sharpen one side until the burr is raised and make a single light pass on the straight edge with a 1K stone and final in with a leather strop. I did however utilize a convex bevel, hamaguri style (another first for me). now that I think about it, this could be my issue... hmmmmmm....

Back