Single features that kill a design for you?

- Serrations on fixed blades.
- Partial serrations on ANY knife.
- Virtually all stainless steels.
- Anything "tactical" because the term has lost its original meaning. Now it means silly mall ninja stuff.
- Internal half tangs
- Anything made in Pakistan or China
- Blingy multicolor handle material
- The lack of a good serviceable point.

1) American tanto blade shape
2) chisel ground PE
3) AO
4) metal handles
5) over 5 ounce folders
6) recurved blade
7) tiny unmaintainable serrations
8) combo edges
9) harsh G-10 texture

Tanto style blades are the only real deal breaker for me. When I want to cut something I at least want the option of a smooth flowing edge. I can always use the tip for those precision type cuts. The tanto style tip just makes no sense to me.

Things that would be a strike against a knife would be serrations, glass breakers and sawback teeth, with the exception of on a dive knife. On a dive knife I want some serrations.

On a fixed blade knife the lack of a full tang comes very close to being a deal breaker for me. Probably 9 times out of 10 that would nix the deal.

Bear Grylls on the package, with that deer in the headlights stare that Gerber photoshops onto various nature scenes is one absolute deal breaker.

Pretty much anyone's name on the knife other than the designer/maker. It doesn't matter if it's Bear Grylls, Rambo or Hulk Hogan, having some fictional characters or celebrities name on your knife makes you look like a clown.

In order of "deal breaker" to "can live with it" features.
1) Weak detent. If it opens in my pocket, and I deep carry, it gets tossed.
2) Combo edges. Not enough blade to slice with and not enough blade to saw with.
3) Recurves blades. PITA to sharpen.
4) Thick spines mated to high deep hollow grinds and poor locks. If I'm carrying around a blade that thick, it had better be able to take some pounding.
5) Black coated blades on knives that cannot be dissasembled. I AM taking the coating off the blade and it's a lot easier if I can remove it from the handle.
6) "Tacticool" designs. Gets in the way of utility.
7) Overly broad blades. It's a knife, not a shovel.

A few "turn-offs" that come to mind.

Recurve blades.
Liner locks.
Serrations.
Black plastic handles. FRN, zytel, micarta, G10, carbon fiber, etc. (this despite the fact that my EDC is plastic. :eek: )
Micarta , g10, and carbon fiber aren't anything like plastic. Their actually some of the most expencive handle materials, just sayin

Wow. Some of y'all on this thread are really missing out on some great knives them.lol. The only deal breaker for me is chisel ground plain edges, and knives that don't give me any thing in return for the weight. For example, 4 inch blade, 9 ounces.

Back