six flags is not knife friendly

I apologize if I am repeating history. I tried to do a search on "six flags" and got no hits. Other hits without the quotation marks came back with hits on six or flags.

Anyway, I went there Saturday with my family. They have security and do not permit knives in the park for what reason eludes me. Anyway, when the guard saw my SAK, he said "take it back to the car or throw it away"? I was astonished. I looked at him and said "why would I want to throw away a perfectly good tool? You could have done a better job of presenting your policy before now." Walked back to the car, dropped off the SAK and reentered. What a waste of time. Note to the wise, Six Flags and knives don't mix. Not sure I will be returning there. I would prefer to patronize knife friendly and just plain friendly places. (As an aside, it ain't cheap either)

Kref

A few years ago, I think, my ex GF and I went to six flags. She had one of those joke-balisong things on her keychain, the one with the one inch blade. They made her take it off....

They usually have metal detectors at the entrance. They've had them for as long as I can remember, which is a good 15 years or so....way before the fake security craze. No idea why.

Interesting information. We should have a thread with a list of places that aren't knife friendly.

Its too bad, but its not surprising, really, in this day and age. I gave up carrying a knife when I"m going somewhere like an amusement park or concert, because I just know its going to be a hassle.

Unfortunately, we go to amusement parks for our family's amusement, not ours (generally) so we don't really have the option of simply not going.

I will note that I went to the Great Escape in Lake George, NY recently and they no longer check bags and they don't pat down or have metal detectors. I left my SAK in the car though, because I didn't know that.

I was at Six Flags New England last month and I saw a small sign somewhere either at the ticket booth or right before the entrance that says no knives , supertools or firearms. I heard a reminder over the loud speaker while I was waiting to pay.

The entrance has airport style metal detectors and "attendants" that inspect the contents of you pockets.

I've been there several times over the last year so I already knew the policy.

I was at 6 Flags in Vallejo last spring and I saw the metal detectors and wands. Fortunately, they had those rent-a-lockers so I placed my Mini Skirmish in there along with a slip joint.

Going thru the line, I had to empty my pockets and when they saw my LM Micra I was told "You can't take that in here, it's a knife." So back to the locker I go....

Heck, the last time I went there they had a policy about not being able to wear your hat with the bill cocked to one side or backward. Now, I find that style to be rather silly, but it still seems like a bit of overkill. As far as metal detectors and the like, its one of the reasons I don't go to amusement parks. I'm sorry, I only want to ride some rollercoasters, not enter "the yard." Far as a pat-down, unless you're a cop with a reason to do so, I wouldn't suggest trying it. A wand, perhaps. A physical search- just to ride some stupid rollercoasters (when I'm paying at least $40 a ticket to do so)- no freaking way!

I went to Canada's Wonderland a few summers ago. They had metal detectors and the whole bit. They were even checking inside packs of cigarettes. I didn't bring my knife that day, and i felt nekkid the whole damn time.

I've never attempted to bring a knife into a place like that. When I see metal detectors, I assume they're trying to keep me from bringing anything remotely useful into the place. Amusement parks are swarming with people glued to their cell phones, while I'm stuck with no gun and no knife. At least they haven't said anything about flashlights yet. Needless to say, if you ever see me at one of those places, it wasn't my idea.

I've been wearing my Perrin bracelet constantly since I got it. I also carry a cane. Taking my pocket knife from me is a total waste of security effort, totally deluded.

It's all a back-door way to disarm us: sure you can carry a knife, you just can't take it with you when you enter anywhere. Ridiculous.

nygiantsfan3342 said:
That sucks Krefcenz, but how did they know you had a knife? Were you waving it around or using it?
I emptied my pockets before going through the metal detector. Oddly enough, they didn't recognize my Swisstech Micropro multi tool on my keychain. Go figure.

Kref

toad224 said:
Interesting information. We should have a thread with a list of places that aren't knife friendly.

Although I'm only guessing I would be surprised if any amusement park is going to be knife "friendly", at least to the extent of openly saying "Sure, bring your knife on in...". The lawyers would have a field day!

It would be worthwhile knowing which parks use metal detectors though.

Looking at it from their point of view though, all it would take is one stabbing and they'd lose customers, and probably get sued. It's got to be a pretty good place to mug people, since they've all got a ton of cash to pay for all the overpriced crap there.

It still sucks though.

I guess its been about 3 years since I went to any park. The last one was Bush Gardens in Virginia. I remember carrying my Benchmade 710 with me. I just unclipped it and slipped it into my pocket while going through the gates. No problems anywhere in the park. Obviously no metal detectors back then.

Back