Six premium grade steel edge retention test (including new ACUTO 440)

<center><font size=4>Six premium grade steel cutout!</font></center>
I had intention to make this comparison already a long time ago. At last I have found enough time and power to do it. The impulse gave me new ACUTO 440 steel debut in Columbia River Knife & Tool new knife - Carbon Fiber M-16.

<center>Tested knives.</center>
I selected 6 knifes with approximately 3" long blades made each of another premium grade steel. Of course much better would be to select knives with the same or similar edge geometry but I couldn't. Four of them have hollow ground blades with pretty thin edges. Although Spyderco Calypso Jr. Ltw. has full flat ground blade the edge is also very thin and comparable in thickness with hollow ground blades. Ka-Bar D2 Extreme folder is the single knife in D-2 steel I have and it had very thick edge out of factory box. I reprofiled it using my DMT whetstones creating decent 30-degree back bevel and when I "steeled up" very edge using Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker. All another knives had factory main sharpening, all what I did - I "steeled up" all edges using Sharpmaker to make test results comparable. At least edge retention depends not only on steel properties but on edge geometry as well.
All knives were "steeled up" to decent shaving sharpness before each trial.

<center>Test conditions.</center>
During all tests I tried to use the full length of each knife's edge. Some problems I had with Ka-Bar D2 Extreme blade: it is somewhat tricky to use foreedge of tanto blade for slicing rope and it is completely impossible to use it for straight push cuts sharpening pencils.
Obtained data are not an average of certain number of trials. Generally if I had no doubts that particular trial run unobstructed and it gave credible result I noted it as is without repeated trials. I have made several trials for the best and the worst result only, I also had to repeat some trials which results could be obstructed in my opinion (for ex. the part of seat belt was quite dirty and it influenced slicing result much more noticeable than I could expect).
Hemp rope slicing. I selected this test to see how blades perform slicing natural fiber. The target was 1/2-inch hemp rope without any synthetic additions. I sliced 5-8-mm thick pieces holding rope on the dry pinewood board until particular knife couldn't shave any hair on my forearm.
View

Car seat belt slicing. Here I had intention to try how blades work on synthetic fiber, especially this pretty strong one. I bought some old seat belts at car scrap yard. Occasionally I tried to simulate real situation when car belts would have to be cut and to evaluate how to do it better. I have put one end of the belt into small vise and the other end I held in my hand tightening it pretty strongly. When I sliced belt in direction away from my body with a decent single cut. I continued until knife completely lost shaving abilities.
View

Here I drew some side conclusions: it is pretty easy to slic seat belt if you can "catch" belt edge first and pull your blade with some angle to belt plane. Much harder is to slic belt pulling the blade strictly in belt plane, with 3" long plain blade it's practically impossible to cut the belt with a single stroke. However it is much easier to do with fully serrated blade, my Spyderco Calypso Jr. Stainless with fully serrated blade was clear winner in comparison with each plain blade.
Pencil sharpening. In my opinion this is the possibility to evaluate how blade works in straight push cuts. Here we deal with two different materials: quite hard but not abrasive wood and easy to cut but very abrasive pencil's insert. Additionally it is a chance to evaluate how precisely blade can be directed and controlled. As in previous tests I stooped each trial when blade couldn't shave any hair on my forearm.
View

While ago I had somewhat funny occurrence. Certain fellow after he read my review on Fällkniven F1 in Polish KOMANDOS (Commando) magazine have asked me via e-mail: "Why do you write about such trifles on the serious magazine's columns?" I explained him as politely as I could, however at the end I asked him to propose another test which would be enough "serious" in his opinion. Maybe to evaluate how many stupids can be killed with particular knife until it will need resharpening?
biggrin.gif

I do not know did he get me properly...

<center>Test results.</center>
Honestly I was somewhat embarrassed with them and got more questions then answers.
View

Why the best slicer displayed the worst performance in push cuts?
Why so much difference in slicing was between VG-10 and another steels?
How could VG-10 outperform CPM 440V well known for it's exceptionally high wear resistance?
Why D-2 tool steel (intentionally designed for push cutting) displayed the worst performance in pencil sharpening test?
I could add more questions but these are the mains. Could someone comment these results more scientifically?

<center>Epilogue</center>
At this point I had to stop my searching. I could find some materials more to cut, for ex. wave cardboard, packing straps etc. but I had a huge problem with "materials" to shave. In fact now my forearms now looking like nice lady's legs advertising new depilatory.
Please do not believe photos: I made them when I thought on this test conditions, before I started real test.
My understanding and patient wife finally lost her patience and understanding and said me: "You are looking like idiot. If you'll shave even one part of your body more I'll sleep in another bed".
You see - I have no choice!
Maybe later, when my hair will be back I could update these results...

PS. This is my first trial with HTML, please be patient.

------------------
Sergiusz Mitin
gunwriter
Lodz, Poland

[This message has been edited by Sergiusz Mitin (edited 07-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sergiusz Mitin (edited 07-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sergiusz Mitin (edited 07-03-2000).]

Serg - nice test and very nice presentation. something I'm coming to exect from you.

Regarding the question on CPM-440V & VG-10. We have learned that heat treating "tricks" make a large difference in the performance of therse two steels. The Calypso jr. was heat treated with these "tricks". Pehaps the 440V was not?

sal

[This message has been edited by Sal Glesser (edited 07-01-2000).]

The biggest factor I can think of to answer your questions is edge geometry, particularly with regard to the VG-10, which as you noted is flat-ground, not hollow. The perpendicular motion of slicing downward might require more "support" behind the edge, which would be provided better by a flat than hollow grind, while sharpening pencils, you might do better with a hollow grind that allows a better edge angle with respect to the pencil. This is all speculation on my part, and I'm sure there are others who know much more about the effect of grinds on blade performance than I. I'm surprised ATS-55 performed so poorly. That aside, thanks for a very nice comparison.

Test - post not showing

[This message has been edited by bug (edited 07-03-2000).]

Good stuff Serg! I haven't digested the data yet, but gut feeling is that I agree with Burke. I think you've tested steel + edge geometry, instead of just steel. There's too much difference in edge geometry to give credit or blame on the steel alone. Still, interesting results

Joe

Did you invent "Cutout" from "Shootout" Sergi? Good word and good Cutout. Regarding the edge geometry mayby the edge angle could explain some test results. Can you include edge angles for us?

I don't know if you are aware but your Cutout couldn't be read by most of us until this morning, Monday, July 3. I think you'll see more comments now.

Thank you,
bug

Bug,
Yes, exactly: I invented this word "cutout" as analogy with "shootout". If this sounds very silly in this context I'll change the title. To my excuse, please take in consideration than English is not my native language.
I also apologize for my clumsy experiments in HTML. I made changes as soon as I saw the thread that my post is not available for Netscape users.
As to sharpening angle: all blades were "steeled up" in very edge using SPYDERCO Tri-Angle Sharpmaker to the same angle 40 degrees. Sorry if I didn't write this enough clearly.

Joe,
All knives had the same sharpening angle. All trials were made only until knife lost shaving ability. What way the blade geometry could influence the behaving of very edge sharpened to the same angle for each knife?

Sal,
I have somewhat silly (or maybe not) question for you. Why blade surfaces on your VG-10 knives Calypso Jr. Ltw. and Bill Moran Featherweight are looking like would be somewhat wavy? Both knives have very fine satin (I could say near polished) finish and both have clearly visible (even without magnification) micro-waves on blade surfaces. Once again, I'm risking to look foolishly but this somewhat reminds me the look of wootz surface. Is it a trick you are talking about? It could justify extra slicing abilities...

"Cutout" is a good invention Sergi, don't change it. We could ask ourselves if the serrated edge or the VG-10 won the rope and belt cutout. Do you have a Moran Featherweight? I believe it has a 75mm blade of VG-10 that is not serrated. It's even made by Spyderco (who made the Calypso).

bug

[This message has been edited by bug (edited 07-03-2000).]

Okay, here's theory #1 on the results.

The Calypso Jr. did will on the slicing tests not because of VG-10 alone, but because plain and simple the Calypso Jr. has the best edge geometry going, even better than the hollow ground blades.

On the pencil test, here's a guess. The problem with the Calypso Jr. was that the ultra-thin edge rolled -- not a problem when slicing seatbelts or rope, but a possible problem when push-cutting directly into wood. Did you try steeling with a smooth steel to see if the edge would come right back? If not, and you're willing to do just the Calypso Jr. pencil test again, I'd like to see how long the Calypso Jr. goes, but this time use a smooth steel whenever it stops cutting, and then continue.

Joe

I have questions and guesses about the results with the Calypso Jr. Liteweight. I don't understand how you test that a serrated edge is still shaving sharp. I don't shave with a serrated edge. In order to shave with a serrated edge you must use it in a slightly different manner than a smooth edge.

My guess is that the Calypso stayed "shaving sharp" the longest due to two factors: First the VG-10 takes a fine shaving edge and wears evenly and smoothly to keep a fine edge. Secondly your measurement of shaving sharpness is distorted as you try and test the serrated blade. You are continuing to use the Calypso after it has actually gotten duller than the other blades, confused by the serrations.

Some of the other steel alloys may have a grain structure that doesn't favor a smooth shaving edge. The alloy that particularly comes to mind is D2. It tends to have a sort of coarse feeling edge that cuts better than it shaves.

Your test might be more representative if you used a different measure of sharpness. You could takes some material and measure the force it takes to cut through it. You could pick something that is fairly uniform like the hemp rope and put a scale under it and measure the force required to cut it.

Jeff,

The way I read the report, the VG-10 results are for the Calypso Jr. lightweight plain edge. For comparison only, Serg also tried a Calypso Jr. stainless-steel serrated edge -- but its results are not in the table.

BTW, the D-2 results could very well follow the same theory as the Calypso Jr. The D-2 blade was the only one hand-sharpened, to a 30-degree backbevel plus some extra strokes at 40-degrees. The Calypso Jr factory edge, and D-2 blade's hand-sharpened edge, may very well have been the thinnest of the bunch. And note, they both did well on slicing, not so great on push-cutting. Both the D-2 and VG-10 might have excelled in slicing due partly to blade geometry, then rolled in push cutting due to very thin edges (especially possible if the D-2 wasn't hardened to its full potential).

Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Talmadge (edited 07-03-2000).]

I had wondered why the Calypso Jr. did not do so well on the pencil test also and had come to the conclusion that Joe puts forth. The Calypso Jr. blade geometry makes it such a good slicer...the edge is so fine. But I would not suggest that a steel be used because that can actually remove steel from the blade and actually sharpen the edge, try backstropping the blade on your jeans...works everytime when the edge is slightly rolled (as long as it does not have a wire edge, then you will have to resort to a steel or sharpening stone). If it starts cutting again then you had a rolled edge.

I was disappointed in the ACUTO 440 since the chemistry of the steel looks like 440C with vanadium added...alas probably the heat treatment.

Jeff Jenness

[This message has been edited by jeffj (edited 07-03-2000).]

Great test, Sergiusz, and thanks for the hard work. This is very interesting stuff!

Regarding the wavy surface of the Calypso Jr. Ltw., I'd also like to know what causes that. The wavy finish is on the large Calypso in VG-10 too, so it does seem to be on all of Spyderco's VG-10 knives. One theory I heard, that seems to make sense, is that the blade is buffed at a high speed and the heat generated from this melts a very thin layer of the steel. That could be what causes the rippled, translucent look of the finish, but I don't know.

Jeff,
Joe is quite right - I used Calypso Jr. SS with fully serrated AUS-8 blade for comparison only, to prove that serrated blade is winner cutting seat belts. This could be important in emergency situation. As I already mentioned this is the side conclusion of my search.
Maybe I explained this not enough clear, maybe my English is not enough good but think you can see all tested knives on each photo. On third photo all blades are clearly visible...

Joe,
I didn't perceive edge rolling. When edge rolls it loses cutting ability quite violently. In this case Calypso Jr. Ltw. could cut pretty decently but lost shaving sharpness. So it couldn't be "macro-rolling" outside very edge. But if it would be "micro-rolling" in very edge area - this doesn't explain why this edge have rolled and another - not. For ex. Carbon Fiber M16 has also very thin factory sharpening with back bevel about 30 degrees or even less but it cut pencils better than Calypso.
Some days later I could have some dozens of pencils more from school where my kids are going and I could repeat pencil sharpening test with Calypso Jr.
However I'm not sure this could deliver more info - as I already specified I repeated trials where I obtained the best and the worst result some times. I also have not smooth steel, sorry.
But I can try to follow Jeffi's advise and strop the edge on my jeans
smile.gif

Bug,
Please look at the photos - no one serrated knife pictured.
Yes, I have SPYDERCO - Moran Featherweight but it has cutting edge 89-mm long comparing to 63 mm on Calypso Jr. These results would be incomparable.

[This message has been edited by Sergiusz Mitin (edited 07-04-2000).]

Serguiz:
How did you get a Carbon Fiber M16? Columbia River said that they did not have any. Are they shipping to the European market first?

Thank you for correcting my mistake regarding the serrated edge Sergi and Joe.

bug

[This message has been edited by bug (edited 07-04-2000).]

Theavenger,
This is my sweet little secret
wink.gif

Are you jealous?
rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by Sergiusz Mitin (edited 07-04-2000).]

All knives had the same sharpening angle. All trials were made only until knife lost shaving ability. What way the blade geometry could influence the behaving of very edge sharpened to the same angle for each knife?

Sergiusz,

Sorry, didn't see that question until now...

The very edge is not the sole determiner for performance. Even if every knife had a 20 degree edge, the thickness behind the edge also does a lot to determine performance. Put more succinctly, given two knives with 20-degree edge bevels, the one with the 15-degree thinning bevel (backbevel) will outcut the one without a thinning bevel, for many purposes.

So I note again that the outrageously thin Calypso Jr., and your hand-sharpened and backbevelled kabar had the good slicing but weak pencil sharpening. I notice the delica, which also has a pretty thin edge, and the M16, which you noted is also very very thin-edged, also were a bit weak on pencil sharpening. Were the S-2 and Avalanche a little thicker behind the edge? Do you have calipers to check?

When I talk about edge rolling, I don't mean obvious rolling you can see. Often the only way I know an edge is rolled is that performance drops, and then comes back again when I hit it with the smooth steel.

Joe

Joe,
Seems you are right suggesting that edge thickness even outside very edge influences edge retention in push cuts.
Yes, I have caliper which allows me to measure thickness with precision 0,05 mm. Knives have different wideness of sharpening area so it was quite tricky to measure thickness at the same distance from very edge, so please get these results as somewhat approximate. I tried to measure thickness as far from very edge as wide is Delica's sharpening area and here are results:
M16 - 0,60 mm
S-2 - 0,70 mm
D-2 Extreme - 0,50 mm
Calypso Jr. - 0,35 mm
Delica - 0,45 mm
Avalanche - 0,60 mm

I'm going to reprofile somewhat thick S-2 edge and when I'll try again with pencil sharpening.

Hi Sergiusz, congratulations.
Your results seem amazingly significant! MHO.
Why? =>
Pencils: ATS-34 & CPM 440-V are high in "exotic" carbides. (not "just" Fe/Cr)
Ropes: "440" & ATS-55 are "low" carbon- stainless. Not "really" hi-level steels.
Belts: VG-10 is relatively high in cobalt and was specificly conceived as "cutting steel", but contains
no "abrasionproof carbides".
Other results were "to be expected".
Keep it coming!
Thankyou.

Ted (aka ZUT&ZUT)
Happy sharpening
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ZUT&ZUT (edited 07-06-2000).]

Back