Size comparison between Pro Hiking Buddy and Pro Kephart

Mr. Tettnanger

Gold Member
I am trying to find a new EDC fixed blade. I really liked the Pro Hiking Buddy that I had and sold. I want another one!

But......I keep thinking about the Pro Kephart as well. Does anybody have both and could give me a side by side comparison?

Thank you!

The Kephart is one of my knives in the 'full sized bushcrafting' category. The blade is 4" long and the handle is 4.5" long. There are over a dozen models with this size factor. This size is for the full gamut of outdoors chores.

The Hiking Buddy defined the next size down from the start. The blade is 3" and the handle 4" long. A bit easier to carry but still big enough to do most jobs.

The idea would be to carry a trio with a chopper, full sized knife and a smaller knife. Then, you're covered.

The Kephart is one of my knives in the 'full sized bushcrafting' category. The blade is 4" long and the handle is 4.5" long. There are over a dozen models with this size factor. This size is for the full gamut of outdoors chores.

The Hiking Buddy defined the next size down from the start. The blade is 3" and the handle 4" long. A bit easier to carry but still big enough to do most jobs.

The idea would be to carry a trio with a chopper, full sized knife and a smaller knife. Then, you're covered.
Hey Andy Fiddleback Fiddleback ... here's your next project :)

FF 3.jpg

Andy, bring on some more *Bishops* and I am in!!!
Meantime, I must sadly “make do” with my beloved Granfors Bruks Outdoor Axe, my subtly amazing Seax Tasker and/or Emperor, and my transcendentally amazing Patch. I simply do not know if I am able to carry on. . . .

Andy, bring on some more *Bishops* and I am in!!!
Meantime, I must sadly “make do” with my beloved Granfors Bruks Outdoor Axe, my subtly amazing Seax Tasker and/or Emperor, and my transcendentally amazing Patch. I simply do not know if I am able to carry on. . . .

You need a Fiddleback Forge machete. Ideal third piece!

I like the compactness of the Prod HB, but the Kephart just feels right in the hand and the blade is a good size but not to big, close to four inches, a little less for cutting area.

Oh, yes, yes I do!
A most excellent suggestion, Andy! I would, indeed, love to get into one of those bad boys!

Nesmuk Trio:a machete, Kephart, and some kind of folder like an Opinel or SA. Or mix in the hatchet or saw. The thing that I like is that a trio, whatever tools you decide are best for you, can cover a multitude of tasks without being overly heavy or bulky, unless you are just hiking or backpacking some trails for a short outing. Depending on on your type of camping too. Just my two cents.

I would hear from people who have used both the Kephart and HB. Was it a good idea to use one over the other or if they were glad to have both while out.

Last edited:
Back