SJ passes fish test!

Okay,the SJackyl has once again had the odds placed against her only to emerge triumphant.Got to try my new 3/16's out on the creek this weekend.Put her trhrough a myriad of camp chores such as tater peelin,onion dicin,pepper dicin and most notably I got filet duty.This was my first 3/16 filet test and I must say I was impressed.I did two stringers of approx 30 fish consisting of brim,bass and red eye.The Jackyl did them all and still shaved hair when finished.The edge would still shave but was jerking the hair,so I hit it twice on a ceramic and it easily shaved no prob.In my opinion a thicker than filet knife is better for fileting in that you have less slips thru the skin giving you a good filet.The 3/16's I feel cuts and does better than my 1/4 SJ on typical camp chores and am very pleased with it.the canvas micarta handle provided excellent grip while wet and bloody.After I finished I just wiped the edge and had no corrosion probs whatsoever.But the hardest test I put er through was later that night I sliced up 2 limes for the coronas around the fire,I managed to cut up the second lime without dulling.Jerry, dont it make you feel good to know that your feedin all of us on all these campin trips!

Nice write up Marsupial. Sounds like the Jackyl enjoyed it'd field time!

Personally, I think the current standard hair-shaving test is nice, but have to think that the lime-slicing test is more reality based.

I really don't remember many times that when I get done working and using a blade, is say "Hey, my arm is too hairy, lemme shave it", BUT, I do say, "Man, a lime slice would be great with this beer."

I move that the industry standard edge test be the lime slicin test, 'cause if it can't help there, when ya really need it, fuggeddaboutit..

All those in favor?

Marsupial,

I'm glad to hear the SJ got a good workout.

Those limes are bad, glad you got through it ok ;):D

Great to hear it passed the test marsupial:cool:

I've used Mean Streets (except for the LMS) for fish duty and although they can get the job done they're a bit crude to use with the thicker blade.
I'm also looking forward to trying out the BAg3 in the fish department soon:cool:

Thanks for your review:)

Interesting review pouch boy:D It's always nice to
hear Infi use stories I wish I had a few, mine are
all queens. :(

Now this is the kind of fish story one could believe!

Sounds like you and your SJ had a good time.

Nimrod - what are you inferring by that comment :D

Attachments

• 70_lb_cobia-dan.jpg
    70_lb_cobia-dan.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 97
Fish is a cobia, weighed about 70lbs and as for the story, it was him, me and my Busse - ahhhh, you wouldn't believe it anyway !!

Back