Skeletonized Liners - one mans 2 cents

If I may, maybe you should make them out of Unobtainium to keep everyone happy.

Bahaha.

Personally, Im more than happy with all flavors of Spyder. I even like them with green eggs and ham.

:)

When we break knives with liners, they're stronger, more ridgid and hold clip screws better, but then we get complaints about excessive weight and to leave out the liners.

Really... Personally speaking, I don't mind extra weight at all. Like watches, the heavier, the better :D

and that 2 cents is:

NO THANKS! I dont like em. The weight savings is insignificant, in fact i PREFER heavier folders.

but my main beef with em is:

they sure pack up quickly with crap and crud. :grumpy:

nope, bring back full frame liners, not this drilled out crap. In fact, seeing drilled out liners just reminds me of the early 90's when mountain bikers drilled out everything to save a gram or two. It was gaudy then and it is gaudy now. I will give credit: at least there is no anodized purple spydercos....(although i would secretly buy one i think...)

my 2 cents, your milage might vary. This post is not criticism of the design or Spyderco, just my thoughts. I REALLLY like the knife in any case!

good day. :cool:

EDIT: !!!!!!!!!!!! even my new large Manix in SV30 with forest green G10 has freaking drilled out liner/frame.......... BOO-urns! :D

+1:thumbup: I hatem' too

When we break knives with no liners, more often than not, the failure is in the FRN.

When we break knives with liners, they're stronger, more ridgid and hold clip screws better, but then we get complaints about excessive weight and to leave out the liners.

When we make knives with liners, which are stronger at holding pins and screws, and we skeletonize the liners to deal with the excesive weight issue, we get complaints about gunk storage.

It's a good thing we make knives with all three methods.

At this time I'm still listening.

sal

Wow, like I said, I realised that I don't want to put down (or disrespect) a design which was a result of trying to satisfy customers needs. Nice to know that a company is always dynamic and not rest on it's achievements.

If linerless (screwing problem and rigidity issue), full liners (weight issue) and Skeleton liners (gunk issue) is difficult to solve may I make a suggestion? However please accept my apologies if my suggestions are not practical as I'm as noob as they come on knife part mass fabrication technology and limitations.

Suggestion 1:
Thicker liners but recessed in certain part with the edges of the recesses being not 90deg but maybe a 45deg (no area where the compressor cannot blow out) or similar? The thicker liner will make it easier to partially recess (drill/cnc) it without penetrating completely. However I have a suspicion that the liners are punched so if it is then shape the liners to my suggestion (machine press) and make the FRN conforming to the pressed shape. The weight saving will be on the recessed FRN and with the pressing the liner will be made 3d rigid somewhat so thinner liners work.

Suggestion 2:
Cast around the skeleton liners. Make a FRN handle which totally encapsulate the skeleton liners. Maybe by using spacers to keep them in place during cast. For G10 handles maybe a sandwich design where the outside (palm touching area) is G10 with recessed area for skeleton liners then finished with a thin G10 (or any other material) layer. G10-liner-G10-blade-G10-liner-G10 kind of formation. Though I personally think this idea has no economic sense but you guys are the experts.

Suggestion 3:
Some may not like this but a more fatter in the perpendicular to the blade direction of the handle will result in stiffer handles. Compared to flatter handles, slightly cylindrical (not severely so though) is more stiffer and may not neccesitate liners at all or very thin liners at most.

Ending:
Just suggestions, I do not presume to teach experts in their own playing field especially since I'm a fish outta water here. I just would like to be part of "Those who contributed in the development stages" like many before...

(Guys, if you have any idea even small ones can lead to big ones)

Suggestion 5 - Realize that you can't please everyone and carry on with designs that work for the majority.

I think discussions like this have helped make Spyderco a better company.

I like the skelly liners in my new Caly3 because I bought that knife for when I want something very light. If I was willing to pay extra for the carbonfibre then the skelly liners make sense as well.

Although I tend to like heavier beefier desisgns. I have to give a thumbs up to the drilled out steel liners. The fact is if I did carry all day every day I would appreciate a lighter knife. I do not like the idea of having no liners at all and I prefere knives that can be taken apart. I think the drilled out steel liners are a great way to reinforce a synthetic handle, provide more rigidity, and offer a great back up in the rare case that a tough flexible synthetic fails.
The liners are certainly more expensive to implement and I think is it very considerate of spyderco to include them.
I do not see any real problems with

I prefer drilled liners! Drilled liners especially work out good for the lighter models like the Delica and Endura 4 series. Regardless of the model I like the knife to be made as light as posible for it's given size!

If I may, maybe you should make them out of Unobtainium to keep everyone happy.

Bahaha.

Personally, Im more than happy with all flavors of Spyder. I even like them with green eggs and ham.

:)

i think Oakley has the trademark rights on Unobtanium. :p

Back