Skinning a Moose

I had a customer ask for me to make him a knife that would skin a moose without resharpening. Is it possiable? what steel-heat treat?????

------------------

You should talk to PJ Turner. He mades the Uluchet (D2 cryogenically treated hunting knife) and we just tested that knife on a recent hunt that included skinning a large moose. I just sent PJ the report this evening and will be posting it in the review section very soon.

The knife did a super job. It caped a 57-inch moose with no problem.

PJ's email:
pjtm@silverstar.com

------------------
~Greg~

I have been using 440C heat treated and cryo treated for about 10 years now for that job.

I guarantee that the knife will hold an edge long enough to dress, quarter and skin an entire moose. Every year at least one hunter comes in and claims to have dressed, quartered and skinned at least two moose before sharpening and none have yet complained that the knife did not last long enough to finish the one moose guaranteed.

Last week a fellow brought a knife in for resharpening that the had just finished skinning three elk with, just had to touch up the edge a little on a stropping wheel.

So Don't let anybody tell you that 440C isn't a quality steel as long as it is cryo treated.

------------------
george
www.tichbourneknives.com
sales@tichbourneknives.com

Bob Dozier's knives in D2 will do the job without needing resharpening? My Yukon Pro Skinner manages 4-5 deer before I need to even think about touching up the blade (I ran test at last year's deer camp just to see how long it could go).

Bob's knives are excellent, and a great value!

AJ

Thanks for the help........who is this Master Don anyway.....I have got to see what you guys are talking about.

------------------

I guaranty our Game Skinner or our Kodi-Skinner/Kodi-Pak will hold it's edge through an entire moose or double your money back.

------------------
Sincerely,
Outdoor Edge Cutlery Corp.

David Bloch

See our Online Catalog at: http://www.outdooredge.com

First, catch a moose.............

------------------
"To grow older is inevitable.To grow UP is optional."

Just a reminder!
Wether you want your blade to last through a moose or two, an elk or three or a half dozen big mule deer, there are three things that you need to consider before you can make that happen.
#1.Skill level, which comes with experience and practice in the field. If you learn basic big game anatomy, coupled with the right knife and a little practice, you can learn to do the whole job of gutting, skinning, quartering/disjointing, boning & caping without a saw or an axe. (Chainsaws are really cheating).
#2. KEEP THE EDGE OUT OF THE DIRTY/GRITTY HAIR!!!!!!!!!! Make all cuts from the flesh
side of the critter.
#3.Make sure your knife of choice has been heat treated correctly for the task at hand.

Picture this!
You are alone, 5 miles from camp. You have a large bull down, you've got it tied to a tree in the middle of a steep slope, a bitter wind is blowing in your face, there is 12 inches of snow on the ground and its threatning to snow again. Darkness has fallen, you have your flashlight hanging out of your mouth as you do the the field work on your prize with near frozen hands.

THE LAST THING YOU WANT TO HAVE TO DO IS STOP AND SHARPEN YOUR KNIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm never that lucky.
Seems like every time I get a big critter its
where there are no roads or ATV trails within easy reach and I have to cut them up into little meatballs. Oh well,I guess in my case the meat seems to taste better the more I sweat for it anyways.
Am I Nuts?
Tim

More often than not we get a moose so far back in that it takes a full day to carry it out. I have to have a talk with the guys about that.

Back