Skyline at Scout Camp

I know I probably shouldn't, but I can't help but carry my Damascus Skyline sometimes (that's how I lost my first one :mad:).

Spent all week at Scout camp and had the chance to do a little whittling.
Skyline+01.jpg

First attempt at small wood 'marbles'...

Skyline+03.jpg

...for some small monkey fists for a small eskimo yo yo. It turned out alright.

skyline+05.jpg

Shaved a handle into a bludgeon for batoning with my kukri.

skyline+07.jpg

Made some bigger wood 'marbles'...

skyline+10.jpg

...for some globe knots for a larger eskimo yo yo.

kaden+yoyo.JPG

The boys liked it...

skyline+08.jpg

...and some even made their own.

A great time with a great troop. I was glad to have my Damascus Skyline with me, but seeing how hard they are to get these days I'll probably leave it home next time.:( I sure wish Kershaw would do another run of Damascus Skylines. I'd pick up two for insurance and I'd be tempted to get a bunch for scale swap outs!

Here's hoping! :thumbup:

Attachments

• Skyline%u00252B01.jpg
    Skyline%u00252B01.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 16
Well you are right they are certainly hard to find these days but it is your knife, if you enjoy carrying it and showing it off then by all means do it. I personally have the same problem, I carry most of my knives at some point I just hate to keep them locked away as a safe queen.

I remember back when I was in scouts, I had heard of pocket knives and swiss army knives... that was about it. I doubt there were many there who had heard of Damascus blades and Kershaw knives. Rock on with your Damascus if you enjoy carrying it!

my skyline was with me at scout camp during early june. but my skyline damascus stayed home. i got it to make it small gent's knife and put ironwood scales on it, but never carried it. maybe when i finish my tickets, i'll carry it on my beading.

pete

Are you a scoutmaster or just a father? I still have my SAK I carried as a scout (Eagle in 1995) for almost a decade and went with me to camp a number of times including as a CIT. My SAK is a pretty limited edition model and would be worth some money if I hadn't used and abused it but I don't feel the tiniest bit bad about it. I loved that knife and if it wasn't for
that well loved and abused knife I wouldn't have the thousands of $ of safe queens I have today.

Thats easy to say though since I've got a dam skyline thanks to the generosity of another forum member (thanks again!), and they are supposedly doing another run of them, but if it was a rare Blur (blue needed!) or the blue Breakout I'm still trying to track down I'd probably feel differently :)

Very nice whittling!!! You have mad knife skills! I just sent my son to Scout Camp for the week and he has 2 Spydercos - a Native combo edge and a Dragonfly. I read the camp rules and it said pocketknives were allowed (no limits on blade length) but fixed blades, hatchets, and any weapons were not allowed. You didn't lose your first Skyline at scout camp did you?

Are you a scoutmaster or just a father? I still have my SAK I carried as a scout (Eagle in 1995) for almost a decade and went with me to camp a number of times including as a CIT. My SAK is a pretty limited edition model and would be worth some money if I hadn't used and abused it but I don't feel the tiniest bit bad about it. I loved that knife and if it wasn't for
that well loved and abused knife I wouldn't have the thousands of $ of safe queens I have today.

Thats easy to say though since I've got a dam skyline thanks to the generosity of another forum member (thanks again!), and they are supposedly doing another run of them, but if it was a rare Blur (blue needed!) or the blue Breakout I'm still trying to track down I'd probably feel differently :)

Father and Assistant Scoutmaster in charge of the 11 year-olds (Din-o-mite Sharks patrol). Funny that you still have your scout knife. I still have the Buck Lite I carried as a scout (Eagle in 1992) though I lost my original Leatherman from back then to a girlfriend.

I probably just need to make a decent lanyard for my knife. Then I wouldn't worry about EDCing it.

BTW, where did you hear about another Damascus Skyline run?

Very nice whittling!!! You have mad knife skills! I just sent my son to Scout Camp for the week and he has 2 Spydercos - a Native combo edge and a Dragonfly. I read the camp rules and it said pocketknives were allowed (no limits on blade length) but fixed blades, hatchets, and any weapons were not allowed. You didn't lose your first Skyline at scout camp did you?

Thanks! Never whittled much before. Looking forward to doing it some more. Glad to see you helping your son live the motto. My boy went with a blur and a leatherman. Regarding my first Damascus Skyline: Lost it at work of all things. Put up lost knife fliers and everything. I hope if found a nice home with someone who didn't know I'd lost it.

Last edited:
Great skills and an awesome knife! I still have my SAK from scout days (Eagle in 1999) but I lost my Leatherman :( I never had any other folding knives except those, but looking back I don't think I ever needed anything more than that. No kids, but I have been itching to volunteer with the scouts and give back, since I learned so much and helped make me who I am today.

Great skills and an awesome knife! I still have my SAK from scout days (Eagle in 1999) but I lost my Leatherman :( I never had any other folding knives except those, but looking back I don't think I ever needed anything more than that. No kids, but I have been itching to volunteer with the scouts and give back, since I learned so much and helped make me who I am today.

Do it! Helping these boys develop confidence in the woods and develop skills is fantastic. And it's great to have an excuse to go camping once a month!!!!

Do it! Helping these boys develop confidence in the woods and develop skills is fantastic. And it's great to have an excuse to go camping once a month!!!!

I spoke with a retailer recently asking about this and they told me that Kershaw told them to expect a new run of damascus skylines in september. Needless to say I plan on getting 3 of these, 1 to hold on to and 2 to use in potential trades down the road when they are impossible to find again.

I spoke with a retailer recently asking about this and they told me that Kershaw told them to expect a new run of damascus skylines in september. Needless to say I plan on getting 3 of these, 1 to hold on to and 2 to use in potential trades down the road when they are impossible to find again.

Was it the same big online retailer that's had a preorder forever?

i asked kershaw when the skyline damascus will come out again. was told no idea. they had new batch of damascus in, but it wasn't for the skyline. i think they said it might be for leek.

pete

Back