Sledge Hammers!

One of my all time favorite hammers.

Mine too, Vaughan perfected the rip claw hammer with that one.
My craftsman hammertooth is basically a 999ml with ribbed claws and a mini nail puller on one of them ( it was made by Vaughan ) and because of that and how much I love the octagonal handle job I did on it, it's currently my favorite claw hammer.

And my (lately) most-used hammer...a 2-lb (I think) hammer on a short handle. Great for lots of little and big chores. The short handle allows for good control. I think this is called a drilling hammer, but I have no idea why. The pic is pre-cleanup and oiling, but it looks great now, even though the handle is slated for replacement (it's pretty cracked up at the base). No stamp.

I think they may have been designed to drive chisels into rock before drilling can begin .my 4lber was on an even shorter handle, though I don't think my grandpa did that on purpose but it was just what was left when it broke. The most common head weight for drilling hammers is 3lb so that's likely it's size, but 2.5 can be found.

Neat tool.
I dunno, maybe just its the picture. Those bevels appear non uniform, what suggests its hand forged.

I think they may have been designed to drive chisels. . .

That is what I also associate them with. Mainly star drills:
lintel-star-bit.jpg

Picture from: http://hammerheadstoneworks.com/tag/cutting-stone/page/2/

Bob

Just an FYI
If you folks enjoy making hammers and top tools, etc. Have a look at brian brazeal and Lyle's school in Ms. Jenni and I went few years ago. Really great hammering time, we learned loads and made some great tools / hammers. Think Ive around 60 ive made or bought, from sledges to peens. Nathan at jack pine forge is great too, good class.

I think they may have been designed to drive chisels into rock before drilling can begin .my 4lber was on an even shorter handle, though I don't think my grandpa did that on purpose but it was just what was left when it broke. The most common head weight for drilling hammers is 3lb so that's likely it's size, but 2.5 can be found.

Neat tool.
I dunno, maybe just its the picture. Those bevels appear non uniform, what suggests its hand forged.

That is what I also associate them with. Mainly star drills:
lintel-star-bit.jpg

Picture from: http://hammerheadstoneworks.com/tag/cutting-stone/page/2/

Bob

Thanks! That's great info!

I just hung this old 3lb head on a left over section of axe handle, it wasn't a very long piece and since I already have a full length one I made this one into a stubby with a 5" handle.

Mine too, Vaughan perfected the rip claw hammer with that one.
My craftsman hammertooth is basically a 999ml with ribbed claws and a mini nail puller on one of them ( it was made by Vaughan ) and because of that and how much I love the octagonal handle job I did on it, it's currently my favorite claw hammer.

1951 Ad

1955 Ad

I should have just picked this up instead of taking a picture of it.

Does anyone know what it is?

L-R, top to bottom:
16 lb concrete breaker I've had for 30 years
6 lb striking hammer I really like. Sometimes sees duty at the anvil if I have a striker.
9 lb ship maul
10 lb spike maul
6 lb Warren
Vaughan 16 oz finish hammer for scale

Sledge%20hammers.jpg

And my (lately) most-used hammer...a 2-lb (I think) hammer on a short handle. Great for lots of little and big chores. The short handle allows for good control. I think this is called a drilling hammer, but I have no idea why.

Used with a star drill to drill rock. Add a wedge & feather set and you can split rock.

Tonight's project, a 1500 gm (3.3lb) European blacksmith hammer head with a sledgehammer handle cut off. Final total weight is 3.75lb , length is 15".

I forgot about my other favorite as it's not really a sledge, but a shipwright's maul per Old Axeman. It's a 5-lb Iron City head re-hung on a heartwood handle cut down to match the original.

How I picked it up:

It's current condition. Love this thing.

Finally, not mine but one I re-hung. I hope I did OK, as it was the most difficult hang I've done. This was due to the one side being much heavier than the other, and the head wanted to sit very closed. I shaped it a good bit and eventually got it hung pretty straight. If it comes loose or shifts, I'll do it again.

How it started:

Re-hung:

And yes, there are some metal wedges, as I felt more secure giving it to someone with some extra insurance. They're in there good as they peened over a bit. Should hold for a while I'm hoping. Handle was BLO'd a few times. They were very happy with the re-hang.

This is all I have collected since the beginning of my striking tool addiction, more axes than hammers and sledges in SoCal!

P7190005.jpg P7190006.jpg

From left to right:

T T ball peen, kind of beat haft but the head was not abused 2
T T ripping hammer, claw hammer a pair that seem to be of the same era 2 for 5
Heller 3# cross peen in great condition, this one I made a new haft for 3
Stanley rip w/ a craftsman replacement handle 2
Stanley tinny in real good shape 3
And some kind of flooring deal but for a buck it's good for beating ugly things and had to be re wedged

Tonight's project, a 1500 gm (3.3lb) European blacksmith hammer head with a sledgehammer handle cut off. Final total weight is 3.75lb , length is 15".

That is a striking piece of work JB!

This is all I have collected since the beginning of my striking tool addiction, more axes than hammers and sledges in SoCal!

View attachment 649325 View attachment 649327

From left to right:

And some kind of flooring deal but for a buck it's good for beating ugly things and had to be re wedged

That last mentioned hammer is interesting. Angled face and a... rocket booster? Joking aside - I've not seen that before. Me not seeing it before doesn't mean much but is it marked?

Those are all great hammers that look like they get used.

Square_peg – do you mind if I ask what you wrap your handle with? Just asking cause I’ve seen it on some of your tools and I know that you use them.

View attachment 649325 View attachment 649327

From left to right:

So axes are easier to come by in your area ?
For me it's hammers.
I love axes and hammers just as much, but definitely have more use for hammers.

Back